PDA

View Full Version : Yummy apples

vaknitter
10-18-2008, 09:17 PM
MMMM if it's possible to get sick from too many apples then I'm going to be in a world of hurt soon.....I am working my way through another bushel of apples straight off the tress and also bought cider. I'm drinking hot cider and have made apple crisp, apple pie (highly recommend for breakfast), apple cake, applesauce (unsweetened) and then tonight a gingerbread cake with a bottom of sliced apples (kinda like pineapple upside down cake but with apples and gingerbread). I may have also eaten a couple on my way out of the orchard with my second box of apples today :) I will most likely make another pie and a Virginia Apple cake too.

Any other suggestions to use this second bushel of apples?

The.Knitter
10-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Apple Butter (great on hot buttered toast)!! Baked apples (easy and sooo tasty)!!! Apple Cobbler (yummy)!!! OMG now I`m so hungry! Enjoy your apples.

Puddinpop
10-18-2008, 09:58 PM
I bet you could put some in a spice cake. What kind of apples are they? I just bought the most gorgeous Gala apples at the store. Oh, how about candied apples and caramel apples.

miccisue
10-19-2008, 08:24 AM
Apple jelly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The.Knitter
10-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Oh yes, we can't forget the apple jelly!! I just love that stuff.

Mike
10-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Love the pie for breakfast thing. (For the Amish, Shoe-fly pie is actually a breakfast thing.)
I've been having an apple pie a week since late August. I've slowed down on the quart of sauce a week.

You don't list apple cookies or apple bread.

I have 14 quarts of sauce (not including what I've ate and have opened). I lost count of how many pie fillings I have frozen.
And I just picked 100lbs of apples off my last tree. Both crisper bins in the big fridge and the whole dorm fridge is packed full.

I'm working on making a cider press right now. My last apples are a winter storage apple so the aging will help while I build the press.
Then apple jelly will be a definite.

I don't know what I'm going to do in about 5 years when the 4 new trees start full production.

The.Knitter
10-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Mike: Deliver some to each knitter on the list here. I am sure no one would object to that!

mks22300
10-19-2008, 12:52 PM
100lbs. of apples? Holy Cow!
I have a craving for apple pie now, thanks! :teehee:

The.Knitter
10-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Mmmmmm baked apples! Me too now, huge craving, thanks Mike!!!

Wanda Witch
10-19-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm craving apple butter right now. Nothing better on a piece of toast. And, a good baked apple. Life doesn't get any better.

vaknitter
10-19-2008, 06:13 PM
HMMM don't have a recipe for apple cookies. I do make apple bread and spiced applesauce bread/muffins. I also do apple pancakes with either hot applesauce for a topping or NY maple syrup. OOHH and chopped apples in my oatmeal too now that it is getting so cold.

Don't think I will attempt my own apple butter or jelly - they are both a little too sweet for me. Plus, around here all the nursing homes and churches make them as fund raisers.

WOW can't imagine 100lbs. I'm having enough trouble using up my 50lbs. As for what to do when all the other trees kick into high gear - put out a sign and sell them and/or your pies.
Well - better go start my apple baked pork chops for dinner : )

Mike
10-19-2008, 08:25 PM
HMMM don't have a recipe for apple cookies. I do make apple bread and spiced applesauce bread/muffins. I also do apple pancakes with either hot applesauce for a topping or NY maple syrup. OOHH and chopped apples in my oatmeal too now that it is getting so cold.

Don't think I will attempt my own apple butter or jelly - they are both a little too sweet for me. Plus, around here all the nursing homes and churches make them as fund raisers.

WOW can't imagine 100lbs. I'm having enough trouble using up my 50lbs. As for what to do when all the other trees kick into high gear - put out a sign and sell them and/or your pies.
Well - better go start my apple baked pork chops for dinner : )
I was using 3lbs per quart of sauce or pie. I've gone without apples for so long if I only had 50lbs they would all be put up for pie.

I bet I'm close to 200lbs figuring in my smaller trees, all the drops I sauced and the bushel my niece gave me.

I was just going to wing the cookie recipe. Make a sugar or oatmeal cookie with some sauce and apple chips.
Here's one, apple cookie recipe (http://www.ehow.com/how_11457_make-apple-cookies.html?ref=fuel&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art)
I think I originally saw an apple cookie recipe at a Upick's site.

I like the pancake idea.

I'm hoping the cider press will use up the future apples. It should take the majority of a bushel to make a gallon (but the place I saw that claim at was a pound shy on their estimates for pie and sauce for what I was getting, but even 2 gallons per bushel will use them up).

I picked the new varieties so they all wouldn't come at the same time, but I have a feeling I'll be giving them away like they were zucchinis.

nephthys8
10-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Do you live in Winchester? I'm from Winchester and you sound very much like a fellow local with a healthy apple obsession. :)

ETA: My personal favorite are Caramel Apple Cookies. You make a regular chocolate chip cookie batter minus the chocolate chips. Add dried apple pieces and caramel chips and voila!

Sandi
10-20-2008, 11:50 PM
Your apples most likely aren't that tart, but I just strained a batch of CrabApple Liquor..........yuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmyyyyyyy!
It is so good!

Happy Appleing!

sue in canada
10-21-2008, 08:03 AM
After reading about it recently, I tried fried apples. Slice apples and add to pan with a little butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. They cook very quickly and are delicious.

vaknitter
10-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Mike your fruit looks gorgeous !!

This last bushel I bought is so yummy (I think the first batch was a little green) that I am eating them constantly and haven't baked with a single one yet.

However, I would like to know more about freezing/jarring pie filling. When I bake apple pies I make my crust and then fill the shell with a mixture of sliced apples, cinnamon, sugar and flour - put the top crust on and toss it in the oven. If I ready your post correctly you are making pie filling and then saving it. Is there a method or recipe you prefer for doing that?

Puddinpop
10-21-2008, 01:11 PM
Oh, yes apple fried pies or as some call, apple turnovers. The picture is beautiful. Please post more of your trees. I would love to walk out my door and see those beautiful apples on a tree. I'll bet you have plenty of bees, though.

Mike
10-21-2008, 01:50 PM
ETA: My personal favorite are Caramel Apple Cookies. You make a regular chocolate chip cookie batter minus the chocolate chips. Add dried apple pieces and caramel chips and voila!

I've got to make those, but I'd better wait until my crowns are glued in better.
I'll have to set a few apples aside.

Mike your fruit looks gorgeous !!

This last bushel I bought is so yummy (I think the first batch was a little green) that I am eating them constantly and haven't baked with a single one yet.

However, I would like to know more about freezing/jarring pie filling. When I bake apple pies I make my crust and then fill the shell with a mixture of sliced apples, cinnamon, sugar and flour - put the top crust on and toss it in the oven. If I ready your post correctly you are making pie filling and then saving it. Is there a method or recipe you prefer for doing that?

It's whatever your pie calls for in apples and sugar, or find a pie recipe that calls for something that matches storage containers. (My modern cookbook is not freezer friendly in its recipes and I have to go back to an old '50's one.)

I use a recipe that calls for 2qts apples and 1c+/- sugar. I cut up the apples put them in the containers and sprinkle the sugar over them, then freeze.
When I'm using the square plastic quart containers I split the sugar.
But I remembered that they weren't good for long storage after I got my first 2 trees put up so I switched to using a seal-a-meal and bags. The cup of sugar looks like it gets better coverage not being split between quarts.

I add the spices when I thaw it. That way you can use them for different recipes as long as the sugar isn't too much.
My apples seem to set OK without any flour (except my last McIntosh pie for some reason).
You may notice more syrup in the frozen compared to fresh but I think the fresh does the same thing while cooking.

I just counted and I have 14 apple pies worth saved.

I haven't ever canned pie filling but I might start doing that with cherries because I can't get them to set up unless I cook them with corn starch before filling the pie. That means hot filling in pastry dough which doesn't go well together.

Oh, yes apple fried pies or as some call, apple turnovers. The picture is beautiful. Please post more of your trees. I would love to walk out my door and see those beautiful apples on a tree. I'll bet you have plenty of bees, though.
Bees aren't bad. The trees only bloom for about a week in early spring.
Yellow jackets on the other hand tend to come around in fall looking for some food and will tunnel into any blemish they can find.
They weren't bad this year. Squirrels and the evil fake ladybugs were my problems this year.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-21-2008, 07:54 PM
please post your gingerbread-upside-down-apple-thing recipe!!!!!!!!!!!

vaknitter
10-21-2008, 08:37 PM
My disclaimer is that this is totally a "thingie" I made up b/c I wanted applesauce and dumplings one night and was too hungry to wait for the applesauce to boil and then the gingerbread to cook in it... so I put apples in a dish and topped it with dumplings instead.

So I grease an 8x8 baking dish and layer in 2-3 peeled and sliced apples and sprinkle them with a couple tablespoons of brown sugar and then top it with batter : 1 1/4 cup flour,
3/4 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp baking soda,
1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp cloves, 1/2 cup molasses, 1/2 cup water, 1/4 shortening, 1/4 sugar, 1 egg
I typically cream the shortening with the sugar, then add the egg beat again. Then alternate dry ingredients with wet. Pour batter over apples and pop in the oven 350 deg for about 35min. It is best eaten warm with vanilla ice cream

ENJOY !

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-22-2008, 07:07 PM
YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I'll be making it this weekend! Thank you!

Mike
11-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Do you live in Winchester? I'm from Winchester and you sound very much like a fellow local with a healthy apple obsession. :)

Tell me more about these cookies. I just tried them and they totally didn't work.

I see one problem was I used fresh apple. That ended up making the cookies soggy after they cooled.

But another problem was the caramel is too close to being candied and once it cooked it turned crunchy. The caramel was also too sticky to get the cookies off the sheet, are you doing bar cookies on foil and letting them cool?
And the brown sugar taste of the chocolate chip cookie base over powered any apple flavor.

I'm thinking of trying a different route and making some jam thumbprints with a drizzle of caramel as an icing.

MoniDew
11-29-2008, 09:20 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
(willing apple recipiant here, if you're givin' 'em away)
________
HERBALAIRE (http://herbalairevaporizer.com/)

Jenelle
11-30-2008, 12:04 AM
When we get apples in October, I usually make Apple Dumplings with them. I have a rough recipe for them.

1/2 peck of peeled, cored, and cubed cooking apples
Container of cinnamon or apple pie spice
Double or triple batch of pie crust(homemade or store bought)
Brown sugar
A stick or two of butter or margarine

Roll out the dough into about an 8 inch diameter circle(should be about 1/8 of an inch thick or less). It doesn't have to be exact. Add a hand full of the cubed apples. Sprinkle the top of them with the brown sugar and cinnamon. Add a sliver of the butter to the top of that. Then start bringing the edges together. Place them in 9x13 pan's. Bake them at 350F for about 40-50 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the juices are slightly escaping.

This can usually make anywhere from 20-30 dumplings with some apples leftover. I usually make that into a quick and easy apple sauce that's baked in the oven. They're also good for freezing too, and are excellent with a splash of milk over them when they are warm

miccisue
11-30-2008, 08:47 AM
OK, so this involves crabapples instead of "normal" apples.:teehee:

My mom and I took the day after Thanksgiving (we work in a business owned by mom, so we let the three guys - one's my hubby - handle it for the day while we did our "girl thing") and spent the whole day making jelly. We did 3 batches of grape, and 2 batches of crabapple (we've got another batch of crabapple to put up today, as we ran out of time).

I've never had crabapple jelly before, but I'd read about it, and I've got this crabapple tree right by my driveway which ends up dropping the fruit all over the ground, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. (Just for informations sake, I'm using the little ones that are about the same size as a cherry....I know there are all sizes of crabapples, but I use the dinky ones). It set up very nicely, but I could NOT for the life of me get all the "apple flesh" for the best term I can think of out of it. I strained it once, ran it through cheesecloth, refrigerated the juice so the sediment would go to the bottom, but it still turned out a bit cloudy. Still, it tates great!!!!! The best way I can describe it is like a piece of sour apple candy....it has the tartness, but it also has the underlying sweetness that makes it different than anything I've ever had. I think I'll be doing this again.

Just wanted to add that in case anyone wanted to try making apple jelly. It's really not all that hard. Of course it goes faster using the two of us, but one can do it by themself with no problem...or invite a friend over for a day of cooking and chatting - have a cup of coffee now and then, it's a great time to spend with friends who either have similar interests (or just have great taste and want to end up with some wonderful jelly when they're done - beats the heck out of store bought!!!):thumbsup:

LadyFirelyght
11-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Apple MUFFINS! Here's my alteration of a recipe I found on Allrecipes.com:

INGREDIENTS
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 tablespoon cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
* 1/2 cup salted butter
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1 tbs vanilla
* 4 1/2 cups (2 cups chopped, 2 1/2 cups shredded) apples
* 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
* 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
* 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 2 tablespoon butter

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 12 cup muffin pan.
2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar, applesauce and eggs until smooth. Mix in vanilla. Stir in apples, and gradually blend in the flour mixture. Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin pan.
4. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture is like coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over tops of mixture in muffin pan.
5. Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Allow to sit 5 minutes before removing muffins from pan. Cool on a wire rack.