PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Kindle?

Jan in CA
10-26-2008, 01:35 AM
I just saw it (recorded) on Oprah and it's her new favorite gadget. It looks really neat! I checked the Kindle store and there are all kinds of knitting books which would soooo cool! It is very expensive and not in my budget at this time, but maybe some day!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI73MA/ref=amb_link_7766432_4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0TY5BNKPW1R3A6D709HW&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455646201&pf_rd_i=507846

saracidaltendencies
10-26-2008, 01:50 AM
Wow, how awesome is that?!

cacunn
10-26-2008, 02:44 AM
Deleted by cacunn - no value added.

miccisue
10-26-2008, 08:08 AM
Interesting, but I'm one of those people who loves the feel of a book in their hands, turning the pages wondering what will happen next...I guess I'm just very tactile.

Don't think this gadget would be for me........

Jan in CA
10-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Chris - They say that the batteries last for a couple thousand pages of reading before needing to be charged so they probably aren't a problem.

Miccisue - I like books, too and I don't think this is for everyone. I do think this would be awesome to keep a stitch dictionary, a book like Knitting for Dummies, etc so when you're out you've got help. Or it would be super handy on vacations when you don't want to carry multiple books. I can see lots of uses for it. Maybe it'll come down some day in price making it more affordable for those who do love gadgets though. :shifty: :teehee:

cacunn
10-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Deleted by cacunn - no value added.

lelvsdgs
10-26-2008, 12:10 PM
I know!!! I saw the episode when she did this. I have seen these before on Amazon and thought nah, not for me. But when I saw her demo it I thought it was a great gadget! I thought the same thing about the knitting books. Makes them that much more portable. Way out of my price range though... I'm hoping if the next generation is released they'll lower the price of this one.
Oh and I love the idea of looking up a words meaning as you're reading. Great feature

giedre11
10-26-2008, 12:30 PM
I've had a Kindle now going on a year. I have sooo fallen in love with this device! It's like an ipod for books. I take it with me wherever I go and have had no problems with it. What's really great is if you find an author you like and want more books from him/her, you can just go to the Kindle bookstore from the Kindle itself and download them. It's an amazing device!
I used to read a lot and then just sort of fell out of it. Now with the Kindle, I can't stop reading! You know it's kind of funny, but now I don't care to read paper books any more. It's gotten so convenient just holding the device and using a thumb to flip pages. With a regular paper book I'm finding I have to keep "cracking" the spine of the book with almost every page turn to just keep it open.
Just to be fair there are other e-readers out there, some being cheaper than the Kindle. However Amazon has the best prices for ebooks and the largest selection of ebooks. And no, I am not affiliated with Amazon in any way! I just love my Kindle!:heart:

Jan in CA
10-26-2008, 01:58 PM
I know that PDA's are on the down turn and maybe some of the smart phones have similar features, but, the PDA I have has the ability to display some Adobe based Books. when you next replace your cell phone you may want to look at some thing like a Blackberry and see it it can display books.

That may be true, but I think that it would difficult to read a book on something that small. And since they aren't a dedicated book reader you'd lose a lot of the features that make the Kindle so cool like the dictionary, search feature, downloading, etc. Just my opinion though so if you like reading novels on your PDA or phone go for it. ;)

KnittinMitchie
10-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Kelley Petkin, owner of Knit Picks did a pod cast not too long ago and talked about the Kindle and getting one. she REALLY likes it.

debb
10-26-2008, 10:59 PM
It's on my wish list, but I'm trying to hold out for the next version and hope that the price decreases a bit.

Denise in Michigan
10-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Can you download books from Project Gutenberg, www.gutenberg.org (http://www.gutenberg.org), onto a Kindle?

Jan in CA
10-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Can you download books from Project Gutenberg, www.gutenberg.org (http://www.gutenberg.org), onto a Kindle?

Not a clue, but I think there are some discussion groups on Amazon or elsewhere where you might be able to find out. :shrug:

Spikey
10-27-2008, 01:16 PM
DH saved the Oprah episode for me, and is going to buy it for me for my holiday gift (early) :woot::woohoo:

I belong to two different book clubs, and also listen to lots of books on tape (which it can play), the savings on the books (and magazine subscriptions) should offset some of the cost.

Plus, if you order by Nov 1, and use OPRAHWINFREY as the promo code, you get $50 off. :mrgreen:

Jan in CA
10-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Yeah, Spikey! How fun!

BTW..I did see that magazines (at least Time) is only text so no pretty pictures to look at. Just a heads up if you like them. ;)

GinnyG
10-27-2008, 03:42 PM
I was REALLY excited when I saw the Oprah show on Friday, then I went to the AMAZON site and saw the price:passedout: . I'd LOVE LOVE LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOVE to have one but doubt I will unless they come down significantly in price!

It would be the perfect "book" to use on my Treadmill or eliptical.

Plantgoddess+
10-27-2008, 07:03 PM
I am such an avid reader I would love to have one. Even if the Kindle was free I don't know if I could afford my reading habit. I very seldom buy a book, I'm at my local library every week. If you could do like a netflix where you rent the book for about a dollar and it expired after a month, that would work for me.

Jan in CA
10-28-2008, 01:31 AM
If you could do like a netflix where you rent the book for about a dollar and it expired after a month, that would work for me.

Now that is a cool idea!

OffJumpsJack
10-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Radio: Drivers distracted from safely operating their automobiles by tuning their radio.

Drive through windows: Drivers distracted from safely operating their automobile by eating.

Cell phones: Drivers distracted from safely operating their automobiles by dialing or talking on there phones.

I see people driving with road maps open on their steering wheel, while reading magazines or book, while talking on their phone, or even searching in the back seat of their auto!

I don't want to see people driving with a Kindle in the middle of their steering wheel!

But I know it will soon happen.

--Jack

Jeremy
10-28-2008, 10:31 PM
My wife told me about this. I've read nothing but good things about it. Amazon has a number of books that are in the public domain and are .99 to download. I understand that there are other sites that sell books suitable for Kindle as well.

Jeremy
10-29-2008, 01:30 PM
You can download free books on a Kindle and listen to audiobooks. Here is a good site that talks about all that stuff.
http://thekindle.wordpress.com/2008/09/23/top-19-amazon-kindle-tips-do-you-get-the-most-out-of-your-kindle/

sakura-panda
10-29-2008, 04:10 PM
I have the Sony Reader (rather than the Kindle) because it was slightly cheaper ($299) and I could play with it at Target. I also think that it is prettier. :)

Before buying it, I was seriously leaning toward the Kindle, but all the bonuses that are part of the Kindle and not the Sony are not features that I am interested in for the additional price.

There are rumors that the Kindle will be coming out with a larger version next year -- big enough to display textbooks, and likely knitting books and stitch dictionaries, if those became available. It is just a rumor, though. And I imagine it would cost more than the current one.

(I haven't looked to see if there are any Kindle editions of knitting books, but you can request any Amazon book to be made into a Kindle edition. I don't know what happens after you request it, but they all have a link so that you can ask.)

Both readers use similar technology, and I have to say that I don't even notice that I'm not reading a "real" book. I have a leather cover and it feels so nice in my hands.

I like that the book is always the same size and weight and very easy to hold comfortabley. I also like that it is so easy to turn the pages that I hardly notice I am doing it! The font size is adjustable too, although so far I've been using the default font.

It is just the right size to tuck into my purse; I haven't taken it anywhere yet but I'm planning to take it to the polls with me on Tuesday and we'll see how I like it for traveling! (So far I have only used it at home -- I've had it for about two weeks. ;))