PDA

View Full Version : 850 mini socks~1012 made~777 received CHECK FOR WINNER

Pages : [1] 2 3

momwolf
10-26-2008, 05:30 AM
I got a news letter from Jackie E-S / HeartStrings FiberArts and in it was a request from a lady who needs 850 mini socks for service men.I e-mailed her and got this reply
My Dear Friends,

I am overwhelmed by the generous spirit you have all shown in your emails. Thank you.

The Chaplain of this battalion is my son Peter. He is shocked by how little mail his men receive. Especially when they go first, to neutralize the IEDís before any of the other soldiers and stuff go through. They are brave courageous men, risking their lives every day to keep other soldiers safe. And my Peter goes out with them. He does not carry a gun, but he goes to encourage them, and help them.

I thought of a mini stuffed sock for each of them for Christmas because I was afraid some of them would get nothing for Christmas. I know time is short, but Iím hoping we can do it. And if our box is a little late in arriving, Peter will tell them that a surprise is on the way and then they will watch for it. Sometimes anticipation is fun too.

A box like this will make any day a holiday for them.

At first I was using the ĎMagic 28í sock pattern, but then Jackie gave me her miniature sock pattern and Iíve done that one too. Itís a very good pattern. I like knitting these socks, especially since you donít have to knit a mate!

Just so the socks are big enough for a pack of chewing gum, a couple pieces of chocolate candy and a candy cane. Itís the love and thoughtfulness behind your work that will touch them the most.

They will know that their Chaplain is right, people still care, and most of all they are not forgotten. Itís a powerful message for one little sock, but itís a good one.

When it comes to colors, Iíve been using red, gold, green, and blue. But any color lovingly knit will be perfect. Acrylic, wool, cotton, all yarns are acceptable.

I have some done but still need hundreds. Iím grateful for your help.

If I have the socks by December 10, they will arrive the week between Christmas and New Yearís and they can be excited that they are getting a special box. Of course you can send the socks at any time. As weíll be stuffing and packing as we go.

Happy Knitting,
Becky

Lets all help Becky meet her goal of 850 socks for our service men over seas.The mini sock pattern is here

http://www.heartstringsfiberarts.com/newsletter98.htm
Please help me help Becky meet her goal:hug:If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.
Thanks

momwolf
10-26-2008, 11:07 AM
I just talked to Becky and she said we could use this pattern too:woohoo:http://www.jeangreenhowe.com/Images/Mini_Christmas_Stockings.pdf Don't have to know how to knit socks for this pattern:cheering: I think worsted weight yarn would be better so Becky can stuff them though.I already have one of the other socks done,will post pic when I am done:)

Jan in CA
10-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Can they be any color? I will see if I can whip up a few, too. :thumbsup:

Never mind, I see the color reference in your post. :teehee:

ritaw
10-26-2008, 02:51 PM
Count me in too. I will make some and post them out . :)
Would you have an address to post to . I seem to not be ble to see it on her site .
Thanks Julie :)

momwolf
10-26-2008, 03:05 PM
People can send them to me and I will send them out to her as I get them.If anybody wants to add a note or a x-mas card I think that would be nice:hug:

Thanks Jan and Rita :hug:

momwolf
10-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Here are my first 2 socks.I think the second pattern is easier and cuter:teehee:

fibrenut
10-27-2008, 03:39 AM
K, I have a question. Do they have to be knitted? I know that a lot of crocheters would love to get in on the action as well but don't know how to knit.

I have a very simple recipe for small crocheted stockings (ornament size), that would be perfect. It's simply a five sided granny square, folded in half and sewn on two sides to make a stocking shape. You could add a chain loop for hanging if you wanted to.

momwolf
10-27-2008, 05:58 AM
:cheering:Yes fibrenut we would love to have some crocheted socks.
Just so its at least 4 inches so Becky can stuff them with goodies.
Thank you:hug:

TrikkeAddict
10-27-2008, 08:39 AM
Count me in!!! I'm going to start making some today - in fact, I'll start as soon as I send this!!!

Susan

Mulderknitter
10-27-2008, 08:58 AM
Geez, I guess I have to be in on this too! I'll see how many I can get done!:muah:

momwolf
10-27-2008, 10:15 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_100.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_5_104.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_1_123.gif
Thanks everyone !!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew you guys would help.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_109.gif

Abbily
10-27-2008, 10:28 AM
What a fabulous idea! Can we stuff them ourselves? I will have a ton of leftover halloween candy I can stuff them with.

gmmarton
10-27-2008, 11:58 AM
My experience with sending any candy to our deployed troops is that the candy should be individually wrapped. (It's a safety thing!)

gmmarton
10-27-2008, 11:59 AM
I will do some mini socks as well. I would also like to send along some packets of gum and/or other assorted candy. If you want me to mail directly to your friend, please let me know. Thanks!

Jan in CA
10-27-2008, 01:08 PM
They need to be 4 inches tall? How wide?

fibrenut
10-27-2008, 01:11 PM
Way kewl awesomeness!!!!:woot:
I'll whip up a few n take some pics of em so that peeps can see what the recipe looks like!!! If you're a crochet whizz they'll take about 5-10 minutes each!:noway::thumbsup:

momwolf
10-27-2008, 07:13 PM
Wow you guys are truly awesome:muah:
Stuff your sock with anything you would like just please put your sock in a Ziploc bag so the candy stays with your sock.:muah:
Jan they should be at least 4 inches long and about 2 inches at the ankle part. But what ever you make will be fine.
gmmarton, please send them to me,Just pm me and I will give you my address.

fibrenut-I can hardly wait to see them!!!!!!!!!!!

I talk to Becky today and she said if anyone includes a CARD please DO NOT seal it.Some of the soldiers got some really sick mail from people :shock:, so they want cards open so they can check them. How can people be so cruel ?

Thanks again every body I appreciate all your help:hug::muah:

ritaw
10-28-2008, 03:22 AM
Hi Julie ,

Here are two i made last night :)

momwolf
10-28-2008, 06:27 AM
Rita those are darling,thank you!!!!!!!!! Here are the socks I knit yesterday,still have to sew them together though :teehee:

dustinac
10-28-2008, 08:14 AM
Here is the stocking I came up with...I wanted something knit in the round but looked more like a stocking than a sock. I found the yarn in the back of my yarn closet, I think I bought it the first Christmas I was knitting. :teehee:

momwolf
10-28-2008, 09:25 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_5_108.gif Looks good and thank you :hug:

kimmie
10-28-2008, 01:58 PM
I found the thread! I'm so glad you pointed it out to me. The little socks people have knit are so darn cute and it's for such an important cause. I will go dig through my stash right now and start.
:heart: kimmie

momwolf
10-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Kimmie you're a doll :muah: Thanks sooooooooo much for helping with this because I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflha rd::roflhard: Just think if everyone on here made just ONE sock:woohoo::woot: Becky would have enough and then some.

ritaw
10-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Glad you liked them my little cherub:)
I will be making more . I have been out all day but i will probably do one tonight while i am watching CSI lol:)
Nice stockings everyone xxxx

cindycactus
10-28-2008, 04:08 PM
I will check my stash and start right away. What a wonderful idea. :knitting:

TrikkeAddict
10-28-2008, 04:37 PM
I've got 6 knit and one more on the needles. But I hate doing seams!!!! Anyone want to sew them up??? ;)

They are very easy to knit and go very fast. It's a nice break from the sweater I'm knitting (in the round, top down - no seams!!)

Susan

jpenguin
10-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Okay, momwolf, I would like to be included in this project since my husband is a veteran of the armed forces but need to be sure I can use some Red Heart yarn that I already have. Blew the monthly yarn budget last night on an emergency vet trip with my baby Gizmo. I have the Red Heart Americana varigated yarn (red, white & blue). If I cannot use this I probably could scrounge up a skein of red yarn & white yarn to use.

Just PM to let me know if this can be done & if yes where to send my complete stockings.

momwolf
10-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Susan, you send them and I will seam them:cheering:
Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!:hug:

Jody-You can use ANY yarn you want.
We will take whatever yarn anybody uses.

auburnchick
10-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Oh you guys...it's hard NOT to do this!

I'm going to do my best to get a few knit up, and I'm enlisting the help of a co-worker who crochets. If anyone has specific instructions on how to crochet one, she'd really appreciate it (she's not on KH, BTW).

:muah:

momwolf
10-28-2008, 07:30 PM
fibrenut, has one I'll see if she will post it!!
Thank you !!

thecatsmother
10-28-2008, 07:38 PM
OK count me in I just seen this thread today and started right away
I've got a couple done that are 4 inches but the other one I did with a heavier yarn it's 5 inches??I'll PM you for your address since it will be coming from Canada it may take a bit longer to get to you,so I want to get a few done and sent off asap

Mulderknitter
10-28-2008, 07:58 PM
I just got my first one done. did it in regular yarn, but it seemed to plain. added a little jingle ball.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/MulderMom/Picture222.jpg

momwolf
10-28-2008, 08:16 PM
thecatsmom-Thank you:hug: I PM'd you

mulderknitter- Thank you :hug: that is soooooooooo cute.They will love it.

fibrenut
10-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Here's the recipe for the crocheted granny square (pentagon) stocking.
Sure hun,
Here it is...
Crocheted Christmas Stocking Ornament.

Size g crochet hook
Small amounts of any worsted weight yarn.

Stitches used: chain stitch = ch; Double crochet = dc; slip stitch = slst

Start with a slip knot and chain 4, (1 ch as the center and 3 chs count as the first dc) 2 dc in 1st ch of ch 4, (ch 2, 3 dc) 4 times in same ch. Ch 2, join to fourth ch of the first ch 4. (should have 5 clusters) Cut and change colors or continue in same color.
Next round;
Slst to next ch 2 space, ch 3, 2 dc in ch 2 sp, (In next ch 2 space, 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) 4 times. In beginning ch 2 sp, 3 dc, ch 1, sc in top of ch 3.
Next round;
Ch 3, 2 dc in same space, in next space between clusters, make 3 dc, (in between corners you will make 3 dc in each space between clusters) In corner ch 2 sp make 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc.
Continue as established making 1 more cluster in each round. In the last round you will join just as stated before (so that you can start slip stitching or if you want thicker seam single crocheting the back side of the stocking together).
4 rounds should be sufficient for our dimensions. You can make these bigger or smaller just either by changing the amount of rounds, or changing the yarn size and needle size to coordinate.
Do not cut yarn as you will use this to slip stitch the back seam of the stocking.

Basically this is just a recipe

Assembly;
With the hook in the sc of the last join, it will now become the point of the toe of the stocking, fold the tip of the pentagon and the bottom flat side (looks like the chrysler symbol) in half so that it looks like a stocking. Match the dc's from both sides and sl st or single crochet along the bottom to the corner, slip st in the corners (make sure you get both sides) then matching dc's sl st or sc along the back of the stocking to the top at the other corners where there is an opening for the goodies. Ch 12 for the hanging loop and sl st in the last seam chain. break off and weave in the end. Taadaaahhh!! you are done!!
I will post a pic of one of these and the directions will make much better sense then.
Basically all it really is is a granny square with five corners. If you have any questions just let me know.

Thanks
Tami
ETA the picture:

fibrenut
10-28-2008, 09:23 PM
Here's a pic of the stocking.

momwolf
10-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Tami- Thank you for the pattern:hug: the sock turned out cute:cheering:thanks for the pic:teehee:

Thanks again to everyone that has answered my plea :hug:

ritaw
10-29-2008, 02:55 AM
I made another two last night :) I will post a pic later when i am fully awake lol . I also did one in pink .
I thought the women over there would like a girly colour :)
Great job everyone . The crochet one is so cute ! Thanks for sharing the pattern (Now if only i could crochet lol) hahaha

ritaw
10-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Here are the pics. :)

I tried to get a closer pic of the little hand charm i have added on the blue one but it is not too clear as it glares . It says 'HAND MADE' on there.

momwolf
10-29-2008, 09:05 AM
Rita those are adorable:woohoo::hug:
Here are the socks I have done except for seaming.I figured out how to do them in the round last night so only have to seam bottom:woohoo: That would be the blue sock

ritaw
10-29-2008, 09:07 AM
They all look so cute :) I Love the finishing touches . xxxxx

McKnitty
10-29-2008, 11:14 AM
All of these stockings are SO cute! So, do I understand correctly that it can be any pattern (knit or crochet), any color, and any type/weight of yarn, as long as it is approximately 4-inches?

Also, are the stockings supposed to have a hanging loop, or leave it off, or is either way okay?

Jan in CA
10-29-2008, 11:25 AM
I figured out how to do them in the round last night so only have to seam bottom

Do tell! I HATE seaming! I know I could do a regular sock, but these are so darn cute!

dustinac
10-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Also, are the stockings supposed to have a hanging loop, or leave it off, or is either way okay?

:thumbsup: I'm glad you asked that I had been wondering about it :teehee:

Do tell! I HATE seaming! I know I could do a regular sock, but these are so darn cute!

That's why I had to come up with an in the round stocking :teehee: ...I knew they would never get seamed!!

Grafting the toe on my 2nd stocking :happydance:

ritaw
10-29-2008, 12:22 PM
With Jan and Dustinac helping out we should finish all 850 in no time :)
Can't wait to see your creations girls!

momwolf
10-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Jan- I just cast to DPN and did what the pattern said except I knit the purl rounds.And for the Border I just k1 row,p1 row.Then all I had to do was close the bottom of the sock.

Mcknitty -Yes that's right and you can put a loop if you want to.:hug:Thank you

Jan in CA
10-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks, Julie. That's what I figured, but thought I'd check.

I actually just knit one using double knitting, but the increases look wonky. It doesn't look too bad turned inside out though! :teehee: Not sure I'll use it, but it was worth a try and I learned a new technique. :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
10-29-2008, 02:14 PM

:lol: Thanks!

momwolf
10-29-2008, 02:33 PM
JanI actually just knit one using double knitting, but the increases look wonky. It doesn't look too bad turned inside out though! :teehee: Not sure I'll use it, but it was worth a try and I learned a new technique. :thumbsup:

Haven't tried double knitting yet,So turn the sock inside out and we'll use it:teehee:

kellybigeyes
10-29-2008, 02:51 PM
I will do my best to knit up a few also. I'll let you know when I get them done. :X:

momwolf
10-29-2008, 05:39 PM
kellybigeyes- Thank you :hug:

Jan in CA
10-29-2008, 07:34 PM
I am using worsted weight yarn because it's the only one I have that has good, bright colors for the socks. How wide are the ones you are making across the widest part of the foot? I know you said 4 inches tall.

Mulderknitter
10-29-2008, 07:39 PM
The bottom of my feet are about 2.5 to 3 inches across.

momwolf
10-29-2008, 08:56 PM
Jan -My socks made in Red Heart size 3 needle are 3 to 31/2 inches from toe to heel.Top to bottom is 5":noway: That Red heart is really thick yarn.My Caron SS on size 6 needle are almost 3'' from toe to heel and top to bottom is 4 1/2.

Jan in CA
10-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Okay, great! Thanks!

kellybigeyes
10-29-2008, 11:04 PM
I am really confused about what size yarn AND needles to use??? Could someone please help!!!

Thanks so much!

momwolf
10-29-2008, 11:24 PM
You can use what ever weight yarn you want.Needle size will depend on your gauge.Just wing it :teehee: They knit up so fast that you can play around with it to get gauge.
The pattern says needle size 3 and worsted weight yarn,start there.Just so it's NOT smaller then 4 '' in length.Hope this helps!

Jan in CA
10-30-2008, 01:17 AM
I'm a loose knitter and finding that using the size 4's is making them too large. I tried adjusting the stitch count and that would work, but I'm fussy. :doh: I'll try again tomorrow with smaller needles or cast on.

TrikkeAddict
10-30-2008, 07:25 AM
I'm using worsted weight and size 6 needles. Mine are measuring 4 inches tall and 3 inches on the bottom from toe to heel.

I just switched to dpn last night and it's so much easier and quicker. I have 11 done, but they're all the same color because I'm frogging a sweater and using that yarn. I'll take pictures later.

Oh, now that I'm doing them in the round I knit the whole thing, no purling. I just knit a few extra rows at the top and then turn the top down. The top part I'm using white but it's a thinner yarn so I'm using a double strand which makes it a little thicker than the worsted weight. You'll see what I mean when I post pictures.

momwolf
10-30-2008, 07:31 AM
Trikkeaddict-11 socks done:woohoo::woot:
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_19_3.gif THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH:muah:

dustinac
10-30-2008, 08:38 AM
Can't wait to see your creations girls!

:rofl: I don't know about that...I'm only getting one done a day (slow here and busy time with kids)

Mulderknitter
10-30-2008, 09:01 AM
:rofl: I don't know about that...I'm only getting one done a day (slow here and busy time with kids)
That's about how many I'm getting done. So far only 2 socks. I figure this weekend though I will rent a few movies or watch Buffy straight thru and get a bunch done.
I have no idea really the yarn I'm using, it's all just stuff from my oddball bin. I'm using size 3's, and just keep knitting until it it's big enough. :muah:

TrikkeAddict
10-30-2008, 09:54 AM
I finished another this morning - total 12. Here is a link to the pictures - I don't know how to imbed pictures here. The first 3 on the bottom row were done on dpn. I think I only have 4 actually sewed and finished. I am the worst at doing seams!!!

http://www.pbase.com/soozin/mini_stockings_for_troops

weezie
10-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Is it too late to jump in and help? It just looks like you guys are having too much fun! :woohoo:

I'll try to get some done over the weekend if it's not too late to join in.

Thanks!
Sandi :knitting:

ritaw
10-30-2008, 11:38 AM
Susan yous minis socks are so sweet . Just the right colour for xmas. :)

Weezie- It is never too late to join . Get knitting :)

Jan in CA
10-30-2008, 01:42 PM
I don't know how to imbed pictures here.

Those look great! Just read the info linked in my signature to learn how to embed or attach photos. Pay close attention to the size requirements. ;)

kimmie
10-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Hi Momwolf,
I have two made so far. They are fun to make...sort of addictive! I'll keep making more.
:heart: kimmie

momwolf
10-30-2008, 06:33 PM
weezie-Of course you can join in:hug: Thank you for helping such a GREAT cause:hug: We need all the help we can get:teehee:

Susan -Your socks look wonderful and the troops will really appreciate them:cheering:Thank you!!!!!!!

Kimmie- Thank you for your help:hug:They are fun to knit.Quick and fast.Instant gratification.:teehee:

I got 2 more done:) :)

EVERYONE- THANK YOU ALL for helping make socks:muah::cheering::hug:

gmmarton
10-30-2008, 07:34 PM
I got two done today...they sure do work up fast! :woohoo:

dustinac
10-30-2008, 08:03 PM
:teehee: I got my one done for the day...I really thought today I would get 2 done 'cause of dance class...but they had the parents come in and watch the Halloween ballet dance annd the Halloween tap dance...of course both were too cute but it means I only got one done :oo:

momwolf
10-30-2008, 08:21 PM
You guys arehttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_5_104.gif I think I will enter everyone's name into a hat and pick a name out for a prize when this is over.:hug: Now I just have to think of a prize:woohoo:

gargoylelib
10-31-2008, 04:38 AM
Well, I had to jump in here. These are too fun to knit! I got four
done for you yesterday and will get more done today. I'm giving
testimony at a trial today and so have to go hang out at the
courthouse until I'm called in. These are the perfect small keep me
busy project while I'm there.

Libbie :)

momwolf
10-31-2008, 05:29 AM
Libbie-Thank you for helping :hug: it is greatly appreciated :cheering:

Lisa1216
10-31-2008, 08:36 AM
I also made 2 stockings last night. Both are just plain white. I'll be sifting through my stash tonight for different colors. I'm hoping to get a bunch done this weekend.

Thanks Momwolf for starting this project! :yay:

momwolf
10-31-2008, 08:54 AM
Lisa-:muah:Thank you for joining in on the project.:cheering:

TrikkeAddict
10-31-2008, 09:51 AM
I have 16 knitted - but only 6 actually done. Boy, do I hate seaming - have I mentioned that before!!!!! lol At least doing them on the double point needles leaves only a small amount to seam - unfortunately, I still have 6 that I did flat that I haven't seamed yet. I'll get to them though - eventually!!!

Got a little distracted this morning playing with my Nintendo DS, otherwise I would have had another done!!!!!

I really enjoy making things that are done quickly!!!

weezie
10-31-2008, 10:03 AM
Wow Susan, you are really going to town! :yay:

I got 2 completed last night and four 1/2-socks started. I did the first on straight needles to actually follow the pattern for the first time (seaming, ick!)... so did the second one on dbl-pointed needles (much better!)... and then started four using a techinque I learned for knitting two socks at the same time on one long needle... perfect! So no seams at all and can do several at a time now... now that's my kind of knitting!

I stayed up way too late last night getting the four-on-one-needle thing going, but I'll probably stay up late again tonight working on them and will work on some over the weekend too.

Thanks again for asking us to help you out.... these are a lot of fun!... and I can use up some Christmas yarn stash too!

Do you have a count yet on how many you think you already have coming in? More than 850 wouldn't hurt, would it? :thumbsup:

Knit on everyone!
Sandi

Lisa1216
10-31-2008, 10:13 AM
... and then started four using a techinque I learned for knitting two socks at the same time on one long needle... perfect!

This is great! I always had trouble with picking up the gusset stitches when knitting 2 socks at a time, but with these, it will work out great! Thanks for the reminder! :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
10-31-2008, 12:31 PM
I finished one last night. It's my own pattern and it's a little large I think, but it might be okay. I'll get a picture later. Working on another now.

McKnitty
10-31-2008, 12:33 PM
For those of you who are knitting these in the round - are you still knitting these from the bottom up? I was wondering if you could knit from the cuff down and then do a kitchener stitch, or perhaps a 3-needle bind off, at the bottom of the foot.

I'm not a big fan of seaming, so I would love to hear how you are knitting your stocking. BTW - these are all SO cute!

Jan in CA
10-31-2008, 12:44 PM
That's what I'm doing. Top down and kitchener. :thumbsup: If I can get the pattern perfected and written properly, I'll share it.

For those of you who are knitting these in the round - are you still knitting these from the bottom up? I was wondering if you could knit from the cuff down and then do a kitchener stitch, or perhaps a 3-needle bind off, at the bottom of the foot.

I'm not a big fan of seaming, so I would love to hear how you are knitting your stocking. BTW - these are all SO cute!

McKnitty
10-31-2008, 12:57 PM
That's what I'm doing. Top down and kitchener. :thumbsup: If I can get the pattern perfected and written properly, I'll share it.

Thanks, Jan - you're the best! Right now I'm knitting the Heartstrings pattern, but I definitely want to try the Jean Greenhowe pattern too. It is adorable!

momwolf
10-31-2008, 01:06 PM
Jan-I hardly wait to see your pattern:woohoo:

Weezie-Now that's how to knit socks:woot:No I do not have a count yet.I should start a count page:teehee:

Trikkeknitter-WOW 16 you are amazing :cheering:

Here are the last ones I did,I have 13 done:woot:
I have added little snowflake buttons to some of them.

THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE:muah::hug:

dustinac
10-31-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm also doing them cuff down and then kitchener stitch on the toe...I posted my pattern here (http://mountaineerknitter.blogspot.com/2008/10/lets-make-some-ornaments.html)if anyone wants to use it the pattern is also for magic loop...

I think I may check with Isaiah's teacher and see if I could bring in cards and have the kids fill some out...I couldn't do 850 but some that they could pass around with one another? :shrug:

dustinac
10-31-2008, 01:09 PM
:yay: very cute!!!

TrikkeAddict
10-31-2008, 01:10 PM
Trikkeknitter-WOW 16 you are amazing :cheering:

thanks, I think it means I have no life!!!! LOL

I love all the pictures of what you all are doing!!!!

momwolf
10-31-2008, 01:14 PM
dustinac-What a GREAT IDEA:muah::hug: THE TROOPS WOULD LOVE THAT:woohoo::woot:

Thank you :hug: so much for all you are doing for the troops:star:

momwolf
10-31-2008, 01:18 PM
If everyone would send me a PM of how many they have made I will make a tally page so you can see how many we have knitted so far:woohoo::woot:

ritaw
10-31-2008, 01:27 PM
Love the socks Julie and the snowflake buttons are too cute :)

weezie
10-31-2008, 02:51 PM
You guys are making it hard for me to work today... I work from home and my knitting bin with the four 1/2 socks on it are calling to me from the other room and it's hard to focus!!

My daughter and young grandkids are coming for the weekend and she is a fairly new knitter and is interested in making some socks too, so that's neat!

We were also discussing how this project would be good for so many other things besides our troops... nursing homes, homeless shelters, children's hospitals, etc. The possibilities are endless!

Great idea Julie... thanks for getting us all started on this!

I hear the needles calling.... :woohoo: Trying to stay focused on work... gotta get it done... then I'm free to play with grandkids and knit socks for the whole weekend! :woot:

Jan in CA
10-31-2008, 08:02 PM
Okay, here we go. The first one (red and green) is the final design. The other two are the original 'prototypes' and therefore a little goofy, but they'll work. Here's the PDF for it. I don't know that it's any better than what you're using though.
http://members.cox.net/janlewis1/Seamless%20Christmas%20Stocking.pdf

This one is just slightly over 4 inches tall and 3.75 inches wide at the widest part.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3285/2990575400_f76707ed4f.jpg

The yellow one is 4 in tall and 3.25 in wide. The red and white is almost 5 in tall and 3.75 in wide. I didn't care for the way I decreased at the bottom of the boot on these two. They kind of bulge out. Not a big deal really, but I think I improved it. They will all hold some candy and gum or whatever though.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3160/2990575426_ce013c7365.jpg

newbieknitter
11-01-2008, 01:47 AM
Okay, momwolf, I would like to be included in this project since my husband is a veteran of the armed forces but need to be sure I can use some Red Heart yarn that I already have. Blew the monthly yarn budget last night on an emergency vet trip with my baby Gizmo. I have the Red Heart Americana varigated yarn (red, white & blue). If I cannot use this I probably could scrounge up a skein of red yarn & white yarn to use.

Just PM to let me know if this can be done & if yes where to send my complete stockings.

Was it determined if the variegated red, white and blue is acceptable?

momwolf
11-01-2008, 04:45 AM
Jan-Those are sooooooo cute:hug:Thank you for all your hard work:hug: I really appreciate it :cheering:

Newbieknitter- Yes you can use any variegated yarn you want:cheering:

ritaw
11-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Hello :hug:

Wow ! 70 socks already:happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: > great job everyone !!!

Here are two more . :yay:

momwolf
11-01-2008, 08:57 AM
So are these counted in the total you sent me?

Cute socks:hug: Thank you:muah:

dustinac
11-01-2008, 09:17 AM
:yay: Great stockings everyone!!

That's great 70 stockings :woot:

Karina
11-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Thought I would join in and make a couple for you.

have finished my first test run. here is a photo. this one was done with worsted/aran weight on 4mm needles but turned out to be only 3.5inch high by 3 inch wide. so I gave it to my daughter.

I am not sure if I should go up a needle size or just leave it at 3inches wide and do a few more rows to make it 4 inches tall. what do you think?

I did the second stocking in the round using a crochet provisional cast on. then when finished went back and did a three needle bind off so no seaming.

momwolf
11-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Karina,-Thanks for joining in:hug: I would just make it longer.Just add some more rows to make it taller :cheering:
Thank you again

Dustinac- Thank you :hug:those are just perfect!!

newbieknitter
11-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Newbieknitter- Yes you can use any variegated yarn you want:cheering:

Alrighty, thanks!

cindycactus
11-01-2008, 12:21 PM
I have 4 done. Will have more time this week. I used Silver's Sock pattern and just started with 24 sts. I think I have some small bells I am going to attach to each one.

Karina
11-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Had another go. increased the stitches by 4 i think and did 4 decreases instead of 3 times. and added a few more rows. it now measures 4 inches by 3.5 inches.

here is a photo showing the difference in size. You will be getting the bigger one. will make a few more, could you pm me the address you want them sent to. What is the due date, I will have to get them in the mail at least 7-10 days before so they will reach you in time.

momwolf
11-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Cindy- The socks look wonderful and the bells will add a special touch:cheering: Thank you so much :hug:

Karina- That did it:cheering::cheering: The sock looks wonderful :woohoo:

Thank you so much :teehee:

New tally

Mulderknitter
11-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Not sure if my red one was included in teh tally, I have also completed a green one.

ritaw
11-01-2008, 02:09 PM
So are these counted in the total you sent me?

Cute socks:hug: Thank you:muah:
Thanks Julie :) Yes these are included in the total .

Great socks . I love them all. It is great to see how very different they all are :)

momwolf
11-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Mulderknitter- I have you down foe 2 socks,is that right?

dustinac
11-01-2008, 03:18 PM
While watching the mountaineer game I finished 3 more :happydance:

:woot: Great tally!!

Also my mom said today that she was going to run out and get some yarn so she could start knitting on some too :happydance:

Mulderknitter
11-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Mulderknitter- I have you down foe 2 socks,is that right?
yep, just the 2 so far. :yay:

thecatsmother
11-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Here's what I have done so far,boy are they fun to do.I have been using a ball of christmas multicolour that I bought for 50 cents about 5 years ago...I've been ready to toss it many times but I saved it .....now I know why.

momwolf
11-01-2008, 06:24 PM
the cats mother-With yours we hit 100 :woohoo::woot::cheering:

Thanks every body:grphug:cloud9:notworthy:

auburnchick
11-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Here's my first completed stocking:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3243/2993465054_f48ab244e7.jpg

I went out and bought more yarn for this project! My husband couldn't say a word since it's for such a worthwhile cause.

One question: When do you want these mailed to you? Perhaps you've already said, but I can't remember. This thread is simply POPPING with activity!!

Oh, and a friend of mine made several as well. I'm not sure if she said she's finished five. She's working on more as well.

Oh, and one more thing. Jan, thank you so much for your pattern. I used it for my stocking, and it was perfect! I loved only having to do the grafting, rather than regular seaming at the end. :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
11-01-2008, 08:11 PM
:yay: I'm so glad you liked it! It looks super!

Everyone's socks are so pretty! I made one last night and 2 today! I'll get a picture later. :thumbsup:

momwolf
11-01-2008, 09:31 PM
auburnchick- Your sock turned out SUPER, Please thank your friend for me:hug: I need them by Nov30th:teehee:

Jan -Thank you for ALL your help it is greatly appreciated :cheering:

mks22300
11-01-2008, 11:10 PM
Momwolf, I would love to jump in and help. I'm already making mini stockings for my the kids in my class. I'm using this (http://littlecottonrabbits.typepad.co.uk/free_knitting_patterns/2007/06/knitted_mini_ch.html) pattern for the kiddies, will it work for this too?

momwolf
11-01-2008, 11:20 PM
mks22300- Thank you for wanting to help:hug: Those are adorable:woohoo: The troops will love them:inlove:
What size do they knit up to be? Ours have to be 4" long.
I'm gonna borrow your pattern and see what size I come up with:teehee: they are just toooooo cute:cheering:

mks22300
11-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Hmmm...I'll have to measure one I've already made and it measured out to be 4 inches from the cuff to the heel and about 4 1/2 inches from the cuff to the toe. They are sooo cute, I've been having a lots of fun making them. :)

momwolf
11-01-2008, 11:32 PM
mks22300-Perfect:woohoo: Thank you again.:hug:

Jan in CA
11-01-2008, 11:59 PM
I almost used that pattern, but that seaming thing again.. bah! So I made 3 today and now have 7 total!

momwolf
11-02-2008, 12:33 AM
Jan-Thank you again :hug:

I only got 3 more done today:doh: and all of you are knitting your fingers off. I have a good reason though, our son Jeff was home on leave from the Army and today he had to go back to Texas where he will be till Dec.3rd and then he is off for his second tour in Iraq:waah: . Jeff said there are many people who don't get stuff from home. He thought it was a GREAT project :hug:So this is why I am trying so hard to get these socks for the guys that don't get anything from home.

So thank you all againhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_126.gif

Jan in CA
11-02-2008, 12:59 AM
Oooo those are pretty!!

ritaw
11-02-2008, 03:50 AM
Beautiful socks everyone. :yay:

Julie - Are the socks to be with you on the 30th November?
I will probably have to post mine out on the 17th to make sure they get there. :)

momwolf
11-02-2008, 07:06 AM
Rita- Yes I need them by the 30th so we can stuff them and send them out so they get to the guys by Christmas:hug:

dustinac
11-02-2008, 09:52 AM
:yay: Great job everyone!!

The tally is that the number that KH members have made? Has she received any others from knitters?

Momwolf~Will be thinking/praying for your son...:hug:

Lisa1216
11-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Julie-Put me down for 2 more done. I'll see if I can do a few more today.

momwolf
11-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks Lisa:cheering:

dustinac- Yes the tally is just KHers. Becky has not heard back from anyone but me:roll:
Thank you for thinking of Jeff :hug:

gmmarton
11-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Momwolf,

A big "shout out" to you for organizing this project. I think it is great, and feel the 850 mini stockings will find their way to your friend's son, the Chaplain. Please also thank your son for his selfless service to our country. I have a Marine who just returned from his third, back-to-back, tour in Iraq three days ago. The stress level when he is gone is really high, as you well understand. I will keep your son in my thoughts.

mks22300
11-02-2008, 12:08 PM
I just remembered something that might be good to stuff in the stockings. When my cousin was deployed in Iraq with his Marine unit, something they said would be helpful to send were toothbrushes and chapstick. Also, if the cuff opening is wide enough, deodorant was another thing that was mentioned. Just something else to think about as a possibility. :)
Oh, my mom said she would crochet some, she just needs to find a pattern first.

lelvsdgs
11-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Well, I only got 2 more done yesterday but I have another one otn. I'm glad we have till the 30th (well, the 25th with postage time) because I want to get some more christmasy yarn and some buttons or do-dads to add to them. I am so impressed by how many socks everyone is getting done! :notworthy:

momwolf
11-02-2008, 01:24 PM
gmmarton-Thank you for the "shout"and prayers :hug:I don't know how you handled 3 tours to Iraq:thud:Glad your son made it home safe :hug::woohoo: And be sure and tell him thank you from me :hug:

lelvsdgs- 2 more to add :woot: Thank you:hug:

mks22300- Tell your mom thank you :hug:and there is a pattern and pic on page 4 here that fibernut gave us for a crochet mini sock.

Once again I thank everyone for there help
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_126.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_75.gif

pcmaya
11-02-2008, 01:34 PM
I was referred to this project by AuburnChick. I am not a knitter so I am not a visitor to this site. She told me about the project and told me that I could crochet the socks too!! I have already completed two and will do as many as I can. It is a wonderful project and I am glad that I could put my crochet help in the ring

momwolf
11-02-2008, 01:48 PM
pcmaya-Thank you soooooo much for helping us try and reach our goal of 850 socks:hug: and welcome to KH :teehee:
Your help is greatly appreciated :woohoo:

momwolf
11-02-2008, 01:55 PM
I've come up with a prize for the drawing :woohoo:
A $20.00 gift certificate to Knit Picks.
If you live outside of the US I will have you chose $20.00 worth of stuff and I will mail it to you.
Drawing held 0n Dec 2nd.
I will put everyones name in a hat and have my hubby pick the winner.
Thank you all again for helping:hug:
Now I have to get back to knitting socks :teehee:

fibrenut
11-02-2008, 02:03 PM
MKS here's the "recipe" for crocheted ones hun.
Here's the recipe for the crocheted granny square (pentagon) stocking.
Sure hun,
Here it is...
Crocheted Christmas Stocking Ornament.

Size g crochet hook
Small amounts of any worsted weight yarn.

Stitches used: chain stitch = ch; Double crochet = dc; slip stitch = slst

Start with a slip knot and chain 4, (1 ch as the center and 3 chs count as the first dc) 2 dc in 1st ch of ch 4, (ch 2, 3 dc) 4 times in same ch. Ch 2, join to fourth ch of the first ch 4. (should have 5 clusters) Cut and change colors or continue in same color.
Next round;
Slst to next ch 2 space, ch 3, 2 dc in ch 2 sp, (In next ch 2 space, 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) 4 times. In beginning ch 2 sp, 3 dc, ch 1, sc in top of ch 3.
Next round;
Ch 3, 2 dc in same space, in next space between clusters, make 3 dc, (in between corners you will make 3 dc in each space between clusters) In corner ch 2 sp make 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc.
Continue as established making 1 more cluster in each round. In the last round you will join just as stated before (so that you can start slip stitching or if you want thicker seam single crocheting the back side of the stocking together).
4 rounds should be sufficient for our dimensions. You can make these bigger or smaller just either by changing the amount of rounds, or changing the yarn size and needle size to coordinate.
Do not cut yarn as you will use this to slip stitch the back seam of the stocking.

Basically this is just a recipe

Assembly;
With the hook in the sc of the last join, it will now become the point of the toe of the stocking, fold the tip of the pentagon and the bottom flat side (looks like the chrysler symbol) in half so that it looks like a stocking. Match the dc's from both sides and sl st or single crochet along the bottom to the corner, slip st in the corners (make sure you get both sides) then matching dc's sl st or sc along the back of the stocking to the top at the other corners where there is an opening for the goodies. Ch 12 for the hanging loop and sl st in the last seam chain. break off and weave in the end. Taadaaahhh!! you are done!!
I will post a pic of one of these and the directions will make much better sense then.
Basically all it really is is a granny square with five corners. If you have any questions just let me know.

Thanks
Tami
ETA the picture:

cindycactus
11-02-2008, 02:23 PM
I have completed 6 more. I love all the pictures of the stockings. Everyone is doing a wonderful job. :knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting:

TrikkeAddict
11-02-2008, 02:54 PM
I got 2 more done this morning - for a total of 26. Still working on them!!!

It's so nice to see so many people willing to help!!!!

auburnchick
11-02-2008, 04:25 PM
I was referred to this project by AuburnChick. I am not a knitter so I am not a visitor to this site. She told me about the project and told me that I could crochet the socks too!! I have already completed two and will do as many as I can. It is a wonderful project and I am glad that I could put my crochet help in the ring

Y'all, this is my friend I told you about!! I'm so excited that she found her way to our thread! :yay:

I'm going to post the pictures of her stockings for her.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3174/2995800915_37e5bdc8af.jpg

auburnchick
11-02-2008, 04:28 PM
I finished another one last night. I have no idea how y'all are doing so many so quickly!!!

:passedout:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3015/2995829385_79fae0000a.jpg

I bought this yarn for more:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3156/2992618037_243397f1eb.jpg

gmmarton
11-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Here are the 5 mini socks I did. They, along with some treats for the soldiers, willl be posted tomorrow after school to momwolf.

momwolf
11-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Gail- the socks look so cute :woohoo:Thank you and I will be watching for them.

Cindy- Thank you :hug: 6 more yahoo:woot:

auburnchick- pcmaya socks look beautiful :woot:Thank you pcmaya:hug:

Susan- Do you knit in your sleep? I can't believe you got 26 socks knit:thud: Thank you :hug::woot:

I also want to thank nanna for helping out also with 4 socks so far:hug::woot:

I got 2 more done today and will keep knitting ,the night is young:teehee:

Karina
11-02-2008, 06:00 PM
I have 4 socks done so far. got side tracked when my kids saw the stockings so had to do another three for them this morning. will start another one in a minute.

Mulderknitter
11-02-2008, 07:46 PM
I don't know how you all are doing them so quickly! :knitting: I just finished my 3rd. Maybe it's because my "helper" Itchy keeps running off with the yarn ball!

TrikkeAddict
11-02-2008, 08:42 PM
I got 3 more done this afternoon - for a total of 29!!! I think I can get at least one more done tonight, maybe 2. Or maybe I should do the dishes instead!!! ;)

jpenguin
11-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Okay, I have 3 done & 1 more otn. Life has gotten in the way this week of my knitting & I don't like when that happens :nails: so I am hoping that it will cooperate more with me this week so I can get more of them knitted & picture taken to show you all what I have accomplished. I will keep knitting them until the last possible moment before having to mail them to you! :knitting:

momwolf
11-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Susan-You must be like Rita who "knits like the wind":woohoo:

But you should take time off to do the dishes:roflhard:

momwolf
11-02-2008, 09:03 PM
jpenguin-Thank you for letting me know how many you made:woohoo:And thank you for helping :hug::woohoo:

auburnchick
11-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Ok...two more done today! :woohoo:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3291/2997750962_b32dcc6799_m.jpg http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3237/2997751122_73f2101cc0_m.jpg

TrikkeAddict
11-02-2008, 09:18 PM
[QUOTE=momwolf;1169420]Susan-You must be like Rita who "knits like the wind":woohoo:

But you should take time off to do the dishes:roflhard:[/QUOTE-

Julie, I did do the dishes - I feel so good about accomplishing that!!! I don't think I really knit very fast - I just spend every spare second knitting. I probably could get more done if I didn't have two dogs who constantly want attention!! But they do go to bed soon so I'll try to get a couple more done before I go to bed.

The bad news is that I only have 14 finished out of the 29 I've knit. I think I'll try to get 9 more finished before I continue with the one OTN. I'm just so awful at seaming!!!

auburnchick
11-02-2008, 09:28 PM
I'm just so awful at seaming!!!

Have you tried Jan's pattern? The only seaming is the bottom, and you can Kitchener that. So simple!

TrikkeAddict
11-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Have you tried Jan's pattern? The only seaming is the bottom, and you can Kitchener that. So simple!

I'm knitting in the round so I only have the bottom to seam. I have no idea what Kitchener means!!!!

I did start out knitting flat so I have 6 that have to be totally seamed - they keep getting pushed to the back because I hate the thought of doing them!!!! :hair:

Anyway, is Kitchener easy to learn?

I did just manage to get 3 more seamed - 6 more of just a bottom seam and 6 of the flat ones left to do.

dustinac
11-02-2008, 10:29 PM
It is simple but when I first started using it, I made sure the kids were busy with something...so I remeber what st I just entered :teehee:

Scroll down and Amy has video (http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips)on this page :thumbsup:

:wall: my wrist always goes out on me at the worst time...usually this time of year (Christmas knitting) :teehee: ...anyways I only got one done for today and then had to put the knitting needles down...will try again tomorrow :happydance:

auburnchick
11-03-2008, 12:08 AM
I found this (http://www.stitchdiva.com/custom.aspx?id=50) site today when I was looking for help with what to do with the last two stitches on the needles at the end of working the Kitchener.

I think I've memorized this grafting technique...good because I like to knit socks and frequently have to refer to how-to's to finish them off.

momwolf
11-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Susan- all you have to do is whip stitch the bottom
http://www.knittingfairy.com/techniques3.htm
http://www.knittingboard.com/v/vspfiles/stitchwhip.pdf
Thats how I do it:cheering:

TrikkeAddict
11-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Susan- all you have to do is whip stitch the bottom
http://www.knittingfairy.com/techniques3.htm
http://www.knittingboard.com/v/vspfiles/stitchwhip.pdf
Thats how I do it:cheering:

thank you Julie!!!! that's what I've been doing - I just didn't think it was right because it didn't look good to me. of course, I'm my own worst critic, so it could be that no one else will even notice what I'm seeing!!

I still have 12 to seam, and I didn't knit anymore last night - still only 29 made. But my puppies are asleep and don't usually get up before 9:00, so I have time to get at least one or two made this morning before I have to play with them!!!!

thanks again!!!!

ritaw
11-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Hello Lovely people:muah:

Here is another four :yay:

momwolf
11-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Rita those are adorable :woohoo: Thank you sooooo much:woohoo::hug:

Jan in CA
11-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Oh man! I take one day off to go to Disneyland look at all the new socks and the sock count! :zombie: Awesome!

NOTE: Anyone doing my pattern.. I have started doing two decreases at the back of the heel on the last row. Here's how I did it.. on the last row before kitchenering the bottom closed.. k2tog, knit across the first needle, then knit across the second needle to the last two stitches and k2tog. Then kitchener. It rounds it out slightly and I will update the pattern today to reflect this. I'll let you know when I update it so you can d/l a new one if you want. Either one works fine though as Auburnchicks adorable socks show!

I have 7 done total and will be working on more today! :yay:

momwolf
11-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Jan- You went to Disneyland and left us slaving away here:tap::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: Hope you had a GREAT time:teehee:
Isn't it amazing how ONLY 27 people have knit 164 socks:woohoo::woot::cheering:
I'm forever grateful to these 27 people for helping me with this project:hug::muah:

TrikkeAddict
11-03-2008, 01:29 PM
I made 2 more this morning. Hopefully I'll make a couple more later on.

weezie
11-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Sorry I didn't get as much done as I had hoped over the weekend, but had a great time with the grandkids... sometimes reading stories, playing games, and rocking babies takes priority! :inlove:

To add to my first 2 completed socks, I finished my four 1/2 socks on one needle, and did another 4 yesterday after the kids left while watching football. Tonight is Monday Night Football, so hopefully a few more to add.

10 total for me right now.

So Julie, do you want us to continue to PM you with our counts, or just post them here?

Happily knitting away again soon...

momwolf
11-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Sandi- :woohoo: Thank you:hug: Just post here as I am keeping track as we go:teehee:
Thank you again:hug:

Susan- Your total is 31 right? What a women:woohoo:
Thank you Thank you Thank you :hug:

monzogary
11-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Hi!
I found this thread over the weekend, and started knitting before I even had a chance to post here. I have 6 knitted, one finished and 5 to seam. I am going to knit as many as I can and then seam them all at once. I am just using up yarn I already have, so they are not really Christmas colors, but I hope that is ok anyway. I know I have a skein of red, green and white around somewhere, but I haven't found it yet lol.

thecatsmother
11-03-2008, 05:50 PM
I think my count was 10 last time,I have finished another 6 for a total of 16.I'll probably get another 2 done tonight.
They have to be mailed by the end of this week,it's 3 weeks mailing time not 2 like I thought but I'll keep at it until the last minute

momwolf
11-03-2008, 05:57 PM
monzogary-Thank you for joining us :hug: and 6 more socks:woot::cheering::woohoo:

Thecatsmother- :hug: Thank you-Yahoo another 6:woot::roflhard:

cindycactus
11-03-2008, 06:20 PM
I have completed 5 more socks. Going back to knitting. The total keeps growing. :knitting:

momwolf
11-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Can I just say :waah:sniff sniff , that you ladies are AMAZING and that these are tears of joy:muah::hug:

Mulderknitter
11-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Well, I had been happily knitting away on my 4th sock, a lovely bright purple. I cut the yarn and set aside. Seaming away, I look up and see my lovely purple yarn trailing into the kitchen. I follow the trail and this is what I see:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/MulderMom/Picture234.jpg
And the drowner of all toys Mulder himself in the back, surveying his lovely work:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/MulderMom/Picture235.jpg
Ah, the things I go through to help out our fellow knitters :roflhard:

Jan in CA
11-03-2008, 09:06 PM
:roflhard: That cat does not like yarn does he!

momwolf
11-03-2008, 09:31 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_13.gif I bethttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_2_12.gif for that cathttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_33_20.gif

momwolf
11-03-2008, 09:39 PM
I put a plea out on Ravelry today and got a reply from Bev and she put me on her Blog http://bevq.blogspot.com/ how cool is that:woohoo:

And another lady Sue is having a Thursday night charity knitting party at her house to knit mini socks :woohoo::woot: more socks coming our way:cheering:

UPDATE- I just figured out the blog belongs to Bev from Bev's country cottage -wow:noway: :woohoo:

TrikkeAddict
11-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Didn't feel well today so only got 2 more done - total 33 for me, so far. I'm amazed that they take so much yarn - I've used 3 skeins of Lion Brand Wool-Ease red yarn and more than 1 skein of white for the tops. It doesn't seem possible that those little socks go through yarn so quick!!!! :)

With so many people knitting these socks we should have 850 in no time!!! Maybe you could do a countdown also to show how many left to make!!!

weezie
11-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Julie, do we send our finished socks to you? I don't have the address and don't see it posted anywhere... or don't know where to look. If you could let me know where to look or send a PM, I'd appreciate it.

I'm hoping to get a few more done tonight and throughout the week and then send them to you early next week, then I'm going to have to call it quits for this project for now as I need to get on with more Special Olympic scarves and then on to my personal Christmas knitting.... so much I'd love to do... so little time!!

Thanks!
Sandi
:knitting:

momwolf
11-03-2008, 10:37 PM
Sandi-I understand completely:teehee:Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it.:hug:PM'd you my address

Susan- Sorry you don't feel well:hug:I fixed the total:teehee: good idea you had:cheering:

Lisa1216
11-04-2008, 08:57 AM
I have 2 more done (total of 6) and have cast on for the next. I only get to knit for about an hour each night, so I'll just keep :knitting: away at them and see how many I end up with.

:yay: For total made already!!!

dustinac
11-04-2008, 08:58 AM
:happydance: Put me down for 7 more!!

:yay: That's great that she put it on her blog...I'm going to get in touch with my LYS today and see if they would be interested or help get the word out :happydance:

momwolf
11-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Lisa -:muah:Thank you :cheering::hug:
Dustinac- with yours we broke 200:woohoo::woot:

Thank you all again for all your hard work :muah::hug:

momwolf
11-04-2008, 10:50 AM
I didn't want you all to think I'm just sitting around eatinghttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_4_8v.gif while you are all knitting socks:roflhard: So here are my 20 socks.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_75.gif You are all doing a wonderful job to make a Merry Christmas for some troops that would other wise get nothinghttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_7_104v.gif THANK YOUhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_1_123.gif

weezie
11-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Wow Julie...20 socks.... Impressive!! :cheering:

Thanks for your address also... I see we're neighbors! I PM'd you back about that...

I only got 2 more made during football last night... so 12 total for me now!

Thanks!

jpenguin
11-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Okay, I have added 3 more finished socks. While waiting in line to vote this morning I took my knitted stockings with me & seamed them up while standing there. Figured I might as well get something accomplised while standing on a sidewalk freezing my tail off. :teehee: Got 4 of the 6 stockings seamed up.

Have the day off from school today :woot:so after I get done running the kids around picking up new sports equipment for the season I will get back to knitting!

Remember to get out & VOTE everyone!

Lisa1216
11-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Julie~They all look great!! (We didn't think you were spending all your time eating left over Haloween candy!) :teehee:

Thanks again for hosting this project! :hug:

momwolf
11-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Thanks ,but it's all of YOU that are the heart of this projecthttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_10_6.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_126.gif

ritaw
11-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Hi Everyone :) I am still here , just been a bit busy . But i can assure you that i am knitting and i will post pics tomorrow:)
Great job everyone :) Thanks Julie for hosting this xxxx

TrikkeAddict
11-04-2008, 01:14 PM
I got 3 more done this morning - total 36 for me. I'll be working on more this afternoon!!!

Julie, yours look great!!!! As does everyone that has posted pictures. Mine are all alike so no point in posting pictures of mine again!!!

I should be able to get at least 3 more done this afternoon - as long as the puppies cooperate!!! :cheering:

Jan in CA
11-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Finally got some photos! 11 done now! I've updated the pattern so it has a more rounded heel and changed the decreases a bit. The old one works, but if you prefer a rounder heel download this one.
http://members.cox.net/janlewis1/Copy%20of%20Seamless%20Mini%20Christmas%20Stocking .pdf

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3274/3003216749_ac1950e6f8.jpg

This is what the new version looks like. Note the rounder heel.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3029/3003216771_5a3733e671.jpg

lelvsdgs
11-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Wow!!! Over 200!!!! That is so awesome! I've gotten two more done and just got back from Michael's with some new yarn in Christmas colors!!! It was my first outing after my surgery!!!

TrikkeAddict
11-04-2008, 07:01 PM
I got 2 more done this afternoon, but I'm not doing anymore until I seam the 20 that I have to seam!!! My total is 38 - so sad that only 18 are seamed!! I hope to get a bunch actually finished tonight while I watch tv!!!

Jan, yours are so nice!!!! I looked at your pattern but got confused when it said 2 circulars. I'm using DPNs and have no idea how you would use 2 circular needles. I've only been knitting for 3 months so there's a lot I don't know!!!!

I keep wondering if I should add some decorative feature to some of mine since they are so plain.

Oh geez, the puppies want to play again!!!! Hope they go to bed early tonight!!!!

Mulderknitter
11-04-2008, 07:22 PM
I am moving a bit slower than the rest of you, but my total so far is 5:yay:
I'll keep knitting away!:woohoo:

momwolf
11-04-2008, 07:27 PM
I just had to post this e-mail I got from dustinac (hope you don't mind):teehee:

Also, I was talking to a friend telling her what you had posted...how knitters are working like busy bees to make them...how I wish they also had cards to read with positive messages...she doesn't knit but she surprised me today with 10 boxes of Christmas cards...280 cards! She said that she would have people at church, work, anywhere sign them if the school wouldn't/couldn't use them. I then had an aunt say she was going to pick up 3 boxes.

I told them all that I needed everything by the 25th and not to seal any cards up, so I could ship it to you. I'm very excited about this and the little surprises it has brought :happydance:

How cool is that:hug: I think our troops are gonna have a extra special Christmas with cards from to Dustinac:muah::hug:http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_17_8.gif and all the beautiful socks everyone is working so hard to get donehttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_126.gif

momwolf
11-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Jan -your socks arehttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_5_113.gif

Susan-http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_19_3.gif

Mulderknitter-http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_5_104.gif

Lee-http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_5_108.gif
To each and everyone of youhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_126.gif

lelvsdgs
11-04-2008, 08:05 PM
I am moving a bit slower than the rest of you, but my total so far is 5:yay:
I'll keep knitting away!:woohoo:
Well, you had to wait until your yarn dried out:) :roflhard:

Mulderknitter
11-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Well, you had to wait until your yarn dried out:) :roflhard:
ha ha!
That yarn got scrapped. didn't want to send kitty killed yarn to nice troops. Luckily, it was just some scrap yarn. no harm.

Mulderknitter
11-04-2008, 08:17 PM
I just had to post this e-mail I got from dustinac (hope you don't mind):teehee:

Also, I was talking to a friend telling her what you had posted...how knitters are working like busy bees to make them...how I wish they also had cards to read with positive messages...she doesn't knit but she surprised me today with 10 boxes of Christmas cards...280 cards! She said that she would have people at church, work, anywhere sign them if the school wouldn't/couldn't use them. I then had an aunt say she was going to pick up 3 boxes.

I told them all that I needed everything by the 25th and not to seal any cards up, so I could ship it to you. I'm very excited about this and the little surprises it has brought :happydance:

How cool is that:hug: I think our troops are gonna have a extra special Christmas with cards from to Dustinac:muah::hug:http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_17_8.gif and all the beautiful socks everyone is working so hard to get donehttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_126.gif
Ummm.... who's going to fill out 850 cards????/:zombie:

momwolf
11-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Dustinac is asking her child's school if they will do it and her friends and relatives are gonna take them to work,church where ever they can get people to fill them out .:woohoo:
This will be sooo cool if it happens:woot:

mks22300
11-04-2008, 09:22 PM
How awesome about the Christmas cards! I've got to get crackin', I'm slower that all the rest of you and haven't started yet since I've been trying to get a Christmas present scarf done. Luckily, they're mini-stockings and don't take me too long. I'm just in awe of how many some of you have done! :thumbsup:

dustinac
11-04-2008, 09:37 PM

:thumbsup: I don't mind!!

Great stockings everyone :woot:

I'm hoping to hear back from my son's school tomorrow. I would love it if I could get their help on filling out the cards...but if not everyone is telling me we will find some way to get it done. Mom said she would look for a box or two as well and mail out to me. :yay:

cindycactus
11-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Just finished 6 more socks. That makes a total of 22. I have 18 Christmas Cards that I am going to include when I mail my socks. I just thanked the troops and wished them a Merry Christmas from my husband and myself. I did not seal the envelopes.

Jan in CA
11-05-2008, 02:13 AM
A few people have wondered how you'd do my sock pattern on DPNs. I'll see if I can explain it clearly.

The pattern is based on 30 cast on stitches divided into 15 on each needle. To do this on DPNs you'd just place a marker at the beginning and again after 15 stitches. The increases and decreases are done at those points. There really is nothing else confusing. When you do the kitchener stitch for the bottom you just transfer all the stitches between the makers to two needles. If you've done the increases and decreases according to the pattern this makes 16 on each needle.

Does that help?

momwolf
11-05-2008, 03:16 AM
Jan- Now I can try your pattern:woohoo:Thanks for explaining DPNs:hug:

ritaw
11-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Hello everyone :)
What a wonderful job everyone is doing :)
Dustina - what a brilliant thing you are doing with the cards :hug:
Jan - Great idea starting the KAL:muah:

Julie _ Keep those needles clicking hun :hug:

Here are 4 more:yay:

gmmarton
11-05-2008, 08:17 AM
On Monday, November 10th, my school community will be honoring our veterans: past, present, and future. I have been coordinating this day for years now and just thought of something that might help the mini sock project. I think I will have holiday cards availalble to sign by our visiting guests, some of whom served during World War II, Korea, as well as Vietnam. I believe they would enjoy signing a card going to someone currently deployed in the warzone.

momwolf
11-05-2008, 08:35 AM
Rita- adorable,love the little charms:hug:

gmmarton- WHAT A GREAT IDEA:woohoo: The troops would absolutely love them,thank you for doing this :hug:

TrikkeAddict
11-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Jan, thank you for that explanation - I'm going to try your pattern and try the kitchener stitch, since I've never done it before.

But I still have 8 socks to seam and I decided I'm not knitting anymore socks until those 8 are seamed. Two are easy, but the 6 flat ones are keeping me from even looking at them - so it could be awhile before I start knitting again.

McKnitty
11-05-2008, 10:58 AM
For those of you who are adding hanging loops, will you please tell me how you did yours? I thought I could leave a long tail of yarn (from the bind off) and crochet a chain, but it just doesn't look right. If I crochet a chain separately, how do I attach is so it will be secure?

momwolf
11-05-2008, 11:05 AM
I have to post quick:teehee: we are having terrible rain storms here and I keep loosing signal:hair: so if it takes awhile for me to answer here you know why

ritaw
11-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks Julie . I hope it does not get too bad that you lose power .
Stay safe :)

Jan in CA
11-05-2008, 12:48 PM
For those of you who are adding hanging loops, will you please tell me how you did yours? I thought I could leave a long tail of yarn (from the bind off) and crochet a chain, but it just doesn't look right. If I crochet a chain separately, how do I attach is so it will be secure?

That is exactly what I did. I stuck the crochet hook through the knitting, pulled a loop through, then proceeded to make a chain. When it was long enough I stopped and stuck the needle through again near where I did the first time to secure it. Then I wove the end in and kind of tightened it at the "join" point where the two ends of the loop are and it worked fine.

Rita, Julie started the KAL..not me. :teehee:

BTW..those doing my pattern.. I said you should have 16 stitches, but what is most important for kitchener is that you have an even number on each needle regardless of the number. I did something wrong on one of them and had an uneven number toward the end of the kitchener so I just slipped the needle through two and took it off. There was a little hole, but I fixed that when I wove the end in. No need to be absolutely perfect on these and it looks fine. :thumbsup:

ritaw
11-05-2008, 12:53 PM
LOL Jan ! The first post in the Kal is yours so i just assumed . :)

Great idea Julie x x x x x x x

McKnitty
11-05-2008, 12:58 PM
That is exactly what I did. I stuck the crochet hook through the knitting, pulled a loop through, then proceeded to make a chain. When it was long enough I stopped and stuck the needle through again near where I did the first time to secure it. Then I wove the end in and kind of tightened it at the "join" point where the two ends of the loop are and it worked fine.

So did you do the loop with both ends of the chain on the inside, the outside, or one end on each side of the stocking. Sorry that I don't always catch on quickly to these things. I'm a visual learner and often have trouble with written directions.

TrikkeAddict
11-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Jan, I did one using your pattern - it's a little bigger than the ones I've been doing!!! But the pattern is great!!!

I looked at the video for the kitchener stitch and realized it was going to take me a long time to figure that one out - so I ended up doing a 3 needle bind off - which I had never done before but I had seen the video a while ago and thought I'd give it a try. I think that it was quick and easy and looks good to me!!!

Going to do some laundry and then start another one!!!!

Jan in CA
11-05-2008, 01:11 PM
So did you do the loop with both ends of the chain on the inside, the outside, or one end on each side of the stocking. Sorry that I don't always catch on quickly to these things. I'm a visual learner and often have trouble with written directions.

They are kind of at the top actually. In this photo it actually looks like it's off center, but it doesn't look that way on the sock. :??

Jan in CA
11-05-2008, 01:16 PM
That's great, Susan! Nothing wrong with 3 needle bind off. I'm sure it looks good!

Here's a few more I did last night while watching election results.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3168/3005903800_ec82430808.jpg

Here's a close up of the pattern.. Which is just simple k1,p1 at the color change so the purl bump shows on every other stitch. I did this intentionally to make a pretty pattern.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3058/3005068491_28e874b3d1.jpg

McKnitty
11-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks, Jan! Those pictures are awesome! The close-up really helps.

momwolf
11-05-2008, 02:51 PM
I wrote a whole page and the internet went down before I could http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_14_6.gifpost ithttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_2_1.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_2_4v.gif writ e more when I can:doh:

kellybigeyes
11-05-2008, 04:32 PM
I have finally firgured it out!! I have 1 stocking knitted that I can send. I plan on doing more... but for now I just have 1. I had to use size 6 needles. I made it out of Cascade 220 in green. I will post a picture when I have time.

nephnie
11-05-2008, 07:17 PM
casting on tonight! won't be able to do anything tomorrow, but i'll be on vacation next week (for my christmas knitting and mini socks!):happydance:

dustinac
11-05-2008, 09:26 PM
:happydance: Cute stockings!!

I got 2 more finshed and will try to get pictures tomorrow...:yay:

I heard back from the school and if the teachers say ok...then I'm going there to get their little sigs...:woohoo:

momwolf
11-05-2008, 10:37 PM
:thud:Am I ever behind today because of the weather:wall:
dustinac-How many socks do you have done total,I have you down for 19 is that right, counting the last 2 you just posted?
Your Town is amazing:cheering:seems her whole town wants to pitch in signing cards:woot::woohoo:

Thanks to everyone who helped today:hug::muah: while my computer was down.

15 people from Bevs blog and Ravelry commit to making socks :):)

lelvsdgs
11-06-2008, 12:46 AM
I got 2 more done today so that's a total of 12 for me. I'm going to have to take a day off... wrist is bothering me:help: but I'll be back in action the next day.

momwolf
11-06-2008, 01:35 AM
Lee- Sorry your wrist hurts:verysad: Do take a break :hug:
Thank you again for helpingcloud9

Gertie
11-06-2008, 02:21 AM
momwolf - I have 1 done. My eyes were painful tonight so I couldn't knit. Hopefully I can do a sock tomorrow night.

Such a wonderful project!!

momwolf
11-06-2008, 02:26 AM
Gertie-:woohoo:Thank you for joining our great cause:hug: Every sock gets us closer to out goal:cheering:
Thank You again:hug:

nephnie
11-06-2008, 08:08 AM
OK, i got to the point where i start my increases, but i'm confused...where do i increase? beginning, end, or middle of the round?

momwolf
11-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Which pattern are you using?

nephnie
11-06-2008, 09:03 AM
I reread this thread and found my answer. I'm using Jan's seamless pattern. I increase at the beginning at halfway through, right? Just trying to get one done before I go on vacation tomorrow and won't have internet access. This way I can continue to knit these!

Lisa1216
11-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Julie~I finished 2 more. So I think my total is now 8. Glad you are getting a good response from Bev's blog and Ravelry!!

dustinac
11-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Julie~I have 20 and a half done :rofl:

momwolf
11-06-2008, 09:38 AM
nephie- What I did was place a marker at 15 st and us this as a guide for end of her first circular needle.On the other side of marker is the beginning on her 2nd circular needle.
Hope this helps:hug:

momwolf
11-06-2008, 09:44 AM
I have 20 and a half done :rofl:http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_33_20.gifI finished 2 more:cheering:

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_126.gif

TrikkeAddict
11-06-2008, 11:16 AM
good morning everyone!!!!

I only got 2 done yesterday - total 40 for me. I'm trying to figure some things out on my apple powerbook so I haven't been knitting. I haven't used the powerbook in a couple of years since I have a couple of other laptops (PCs), so I forget everything I knew!!!

I'll try to get a couple more done later today!!!

Jan in CA
11-06-2008, 01:11 PM
15 done and 1 on the needles!

Is everyone only using red, green and white? Or yellow? I'm running out of traditional Christmasy colors. I have lots of hot pink, turquoise, orange, purple, etc, but I've been hesitant to use them.

auburnchick
11-06-2008, 02:24 PM
One of mine was camouflage colors. Not exactly traditional. :teehee:

lelvsdgs
11-06-2008, 02:38 PM
15 done and 1 on the needles!

Is everyone only using red, green and white? Or yellow? I'm running out of traditional Christmasy colors. I have lots of hot pink, turquoise, orange, purple, etc, but I've been hesitant to use them.
I've used blues and variegated blues with purple. I would use what you like. Those non-traditional colors can be fun and cheerful! And that is the point!

McKnitty
11-06-2008, 03:11 PM

I think those colors will be great! Very bright and cheerful. I'm thinking hot pink & turquoise stripes - oh yeah!

Jan in CA
11-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Okay, be prepared for craziness! :teehee:

momwolf
11-06-2008, 03:55 PM
I made one from Jan's pattern and a crocheted one:teehee: I haven't crocheted in years it was weird.

Jan- do any color you want:woohoo:

thecatsmother
11-06-2008, 04:46 PM
I think my last count was 16, I now have a total of 27 done.I will do 3 more tonight and then I have to mail them tomorrow it is the very last day to be sure you get them by the 30th.
I have done all of mine in red/green/white combinations-though one lime green one snuck in somewhere

Mulderknitter
11-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Well, you all saw the bright purple yarn that Mulder loved so much he killed it, so i'd say go crazy with the colors!

momwolf
11-06-2008, 05:28 PM
thecatsmom- 30 wow :woohoo:Thank you soooooo much.The troops will have a Merrier Christmas because of your help:hug::muah:

Jan- we like craziness:roflhard::cheering:

Jan in CA
11-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Nice ones, Julie!

Here's my two latest which brings the my total to 16. Now on to the crazy colors! :thumbsup:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3024/3008250311_d9e8c5245b.jpg

TrikkeAddict
11-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Julie, I love your crocheted sock - I haven't crocheted in years either!!!

I finished one so far today - total 41 for me. I hope to get at least one more done tonight. I can't tell you how guilty I feel when I'm doing something other than knitting mini socks!!!!

cindycactus
11-06-2008, 09:18 PM
I finished another 6 for a total of 28. I found the little bells and they are on all of the 28. Back to knitting. :knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting:

momwolf
11-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Jan - Love your socks:woohoo:and your pattern.Gonna knit some more of those!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cindy-28 socks with bells on them :woot:

Susan - Don't feel guilty:doh:We do after all have other things going on in our lives you know :eyes:

Well I have a total of 30 done:hug:to me:woot:

Thanks for knitting socks for my worthy cause :yay::hug:

Jan in CA
11-07-2008, 01:14 AM
Oh I'm glad you like it! If you need anything let me know!

I've knit two camo ones now, too.

momwolf
11-07-2008, 07:04 AM
Jan -thank you for the offer:hug:

Just want to thank everyone who is working so hard to make a Merrier Christmas for Becky's son (Peter) men who are risking their lives for us http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_126.gif

newbieknitter
11-07-2008, 09:29 AM
WOW, you folks are amazing knocking out those bunches of 20, 30, 40. I have a total of 4 finished and plan to keep chipping away at it.

Lisa1216
11-07-2008, 09:35 AM
WOW, you folks are amazing knocking out those bunches of 20, 30, 40. I have a total of 4 finished and plan to keep chipping away at it.

That's what I'm doing. I only have 8 done, but I'll just keep :knitting: away. Any amount we do will get us closer to our 850 goal! :thumbsup:

All the stocking look great! :mrgreen:

ritaw
11-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Julie - the crochet one is so cute and Jan the red and white ones are so sweet . :)

I have done some more . Will post pics tomorrow and then you can add them to the count .
Great Job Everyone :)

dustinac
11-07-2008, 12:33 PM
:woohoo: Love the new tally!!

Here are my 22 stockings as well as 28 cards signed by the mom's at Roo's dance class,plus 96 cards (and bella) that was donated to me, going to take them to knit night tonight and JD is taking some to the WVU game tomorrow...340 cards are on their way from mom and will go to the Dance Studio to be signed...we will be going to the school and having the two 2nd and 6th grade classes signing them. The rest are at business in town being signed by willing customers or at houses being signed by families...our count shows that we do have 850 cards going to places/or there for our total...:woot:

Now the funny part or crazy part...the teachers to the 2nd grade thought it would be nice for them to also stuff the stockings...so they can see the whole process...so they asked if I could have enough for BOTH classes by the 11th or 18th...I told them they were CRAZY... I know one knitter in town that is working on them and I'll see her tonight and see if she has finished any...they are pushing for the 11th but I told them I would see what I could this weekend and go from there :oo:

Also one of the teachers told us she has a student and his father is in Iraq...so I was asked if I could make him a stocking and have both classes sign his card...they would mail it to his father from the 2nd grade classes...:heart:

ritaw
11-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Dustina . That is lovely . What a lovely bunch of people there are in the world .
The kids will be so excited :)

dustinac
11-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Dustina . That is lovely . What a lovely bunch of people there are in the world .
The kids will be so excited :)

I'm really in shock Rita :teehee: ...I didn't grow up in this town and really don't know very many people here...but it just took me telling a friend...who told a friend...to get the ball rolling here and now we are surprised every day with what someone is offering. It's been a wonderful experience and showed me a side of the town that I love and adore...

ritaw
11-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Well ! You live in a town of wonderful people . Please thank everyone involved from me :)

momwolf
11-07-2008, 01:34 PM
I just PM'd you.I will gladly send my socks to you by over night express:hug:

ritaw
11-07-2008, 01:57 PM
I could not wait till tomorrow lol .
Here are another four .:muah: