PDA

View Full Version : What brand worsted or sport do you like for baby blankets?

PamJ
10-28-2008, 07:58 PM
For years I used Paton's Canadiana for my worsted baby blankets, but the store closed that carried it. I ordered some a few years back, and it didn't seem quite as soft as it used to...but the family loved the blanket, and it seemed to be softer when washing, and it has lasted well.

Two blankets have been requested, and I've been looking at worsted in Jo-Ann's and Michaels. I've used Bernat Satin and TLC Essentials but haven't been real thrilled with them. Satin didn't give much stitch definition, and TLC wasn't very soft. Has anyone used them for knit blankets and likes the way they wash and last?

What about Caron Wintuk? How is its quality and softness?

For baby yarn, I've used Bernat Baby Softee a lot, but it seems like the quality has changed a bit. Does anyone like Lion Soft Baby? Red Heart Designer Sport?

I'm thinking about ordering the Paton's Canadiana from Jo-Ann's and noticed their baby yarn looks nice too...Beehive Baby Sport. Has anyone used Canadiana lately or the Beehive Baby?

Sorry for so many questions. This is the first time someone is paying me for blankets, so I want to be sure to use a yarn that will hold up well. THANKS if you can give me some opinions.

Jan in CA
10-28-2008, 08:31 PM
My favorites are -

Bernat Softee Baby
Caron Simply Soft
Red Heart SOFT (NOT super saver)
Vanna's Choice

I don't think Wintuk is very soft myself, but.. :shrug:

Marria
10-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Hello Pam,

I really like Knitpicks Swish DK. As it happens, I am using it right now to make another baby blanket. It's superwash wool, so it can be washed in the machine, and it's really soft. I've used Swish worsted for other projects and it has held up well.

http://www.knitpicks.com/Swish+DK+Yarn_YD5420168.html

suzeeq
10-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Not Caron Wintuk, use Simply Soft instead.

Angeleyz14
10-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Caron simply soft is similar to bernat satin and red heart soft yarn. They do make a soft blanket, but stitch definition isn't great in my opinion and they tend to fuzz up and show wear for me. I do like red heart super saver though because it washes up soft. I also like the Caron One Pound skeins and lion brand pound of love. I haven't used red heart designer sport for a blanket yet, but the doll clothes and knee patch my daughter requested are super soft and holding up great and it has great color choices. I also like vanna's choice though it is a bit more pricey. :knitting: