When I knit, my stitches end up looking like this
l/l/l/l/l
l/l/l/l/l
l/l/l/l/l

Everyone else's always looks like this
vvvvvv
vvvvvv
vvvvvv

What could I be doing wrong? I'm an English thrower knitter and am wondering if the yarn that I'm holding gets twisted while I'm knitting and it makes it look like this l instead of like this \

of troy
10-29-2008, 09:51 AM
No-- every one else's stitches look like \|, too, WITH that yarn.

different yarn have different twists, and how they yarn is twisted, can make |/ or \| or \/ stitches!

see Knitty.com archives, look for the article "why Ply?"

a very good explanation of why sometimes you get |/ and sometime you get \| and sometimes you get \/ shapes in your stitches

suzeeq
10-29-2008, 09:58 AM
It could be that you're wrapping the purl sts another way, or knitting through the back loop. Look at the knit and purl videos and check them against the way you do k and p sts. If you're doing them the same, it could be the yarn.

shelluie
10-29-2008, 10:02 AM
It could be that you're wrapping the purl sts another way, or knitting through the back loop. Look at the knit and purl videos and check them against the way you do k and p sts. If you're doing them the same, it could be the yarn.

I'm knitting and purling the right way...it must just be the yarn then. Right now I'm using Lion Brand Lion Wool.

shelluie
10-29-2008, 10:03 AM
No-- every one else's stitches look like \|, too, WITH that yarn.

different yarn have different twists, and how they yarn is twisted, can make |/ or \| or \/ stitches!

see Knitty.com archives, look for the article "why Ply?"

a very good explanation of why sometimes you get |/ and sometime you get \| and sometimes you get \/ shapes in your stitches

Thanks for letting me know that. All this time I thought I was doing something weird!

Ingrid
10-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Yes, it is the yarn. Yarn that's not twisted tightly will do that. I think it looks kind of cool!