PDA

View Full Version : Problem with a simple scarf

robkat317
11-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Hello,

I am a fairly new knitter, about 1 1/2 years experience, and I am knitting what I thought to be a very simple scarf. My problem however is that scarf is curling in on itself as I am knitting it. I am using Wool-Ease yarn by Lion Brand and US size 11 needles. I am knitting 22 stitches (Slipping the first of each row) in a stockinette stitch. When I am finished, will blocking make this better? If so, what about when it gets washed?

This is a gift for my 9 year old nephew.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kathy

Jan in CA
11-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Blocking may help some, but it probably will still curl.

The problem you are encountering is very normal. Stockinette curls. It's the nature of the stitch. The best way to counteract that is to have an edge on it. If you go to the "How-to Questions" forum there is a thread at the top that is specifically about this topic and there are lots of ideas for edges. :thumbsup:

At this point however, the only real option is to pick up stitches around the edge and add a border, or start over and call it a lesson learned.

robkat317
11-07-2008, 02:09 PM
I should have quessed this was a common thing and searched the site before posting.

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction! =)

Crycket
11-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Yeah...I agree with Jan in CA...

If it were me, I would do a really simple Single Crochet border....that way you don't have to take anything down....

Knitting_Guy
11-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Well it's a scarf, is the curling really a problem? I suspect that when worn it'll look just dandy, curling or not.

sorifes
11-07-2008, 06:41 PM
I like the curling I think it's cute. My kid has a scarf that has the curling, doesn't bother her any and after a few washes it's pretty much gone.

robkat317
11-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Thank you everyone. I don't think I would have minded the scarf curling (I knitted about 20 inches) , except, the Wool-Ease yarn made it so bulky that I wasn't sure my nephew would like it........so I pulled it of the needles. I tried re-knitting usung a seed-stitch border, but it still was curling so I pulled it off again and am just doing a ribbed scarf.

It ended up being a good thing doing the rib, because, I really needed to practice doing purl stitches. I had found them quite awkward to do.