PDA

View Full Version : cables and holes

Ronda
11-08-2008, 11:07 AM
I've searched KH and Google, but I can't seem to find the answer to my question.

I'm making "Here and There Cables" from Scarf Style for my son. It's a ribbed pattern with cables. On the cable row, I slip 6 stitches to my cable needle. Then I p1, k3, p1. Then I slip the last stitch from the cable needle back to the left needle and purl it. Then I purl1, kn3, and p1 from my cable needle. Then I move back to the left needle and p3, k3, and p2. Then I repeat that to the end.

Excuse the horrible photography. My battery is about dead on the camera, and I need a new camera anyway. When I look at my scarf just lying there, things look fine. This is supposed to be a reversible scarf. If I turn it over or stretch out the fabric a bit, you see holes at the cable. That's a long stretch in there at that cable.

What I'm wondering is if this is common and normal and ok with cables or is there something I need to do differently? I don't want to keep working on this 72" scarf if I'm doing the cables wrong.

Ronda
11-08-2008, 11:08 AM
The hole I'm referring to is under my thumb. Again, sorry for the horrible photography.

suzeeq
11-08-2008, 11:14 AM
It is normal for there to be gaps in cables, but generally washing or blocking it evens out the sts. So will the weight of the piece as it gets longer.

Knitting_Guy
11-08-2008, 11:32 AM
That's just the nature of the cables. As mentioned, once you finish the piece and wash/block it it will look great. First time I did cables I thought I was doing something horribly wrong but once the piece was finished it looked just fine.

Ronda
11-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks, guys! That makes me feel better! Can't wait to wash and block it!