PDA

View Full Version : I Might Be Doing A Wedding Next Year

Knitting_Guy
11-12-2008, 09:27 PM
A friend of mine, who lives in California, is getting married in October of next year. He contacted me and asked if I would be willing to perform the wedding (I guess I'm the only ordained person he knows LOL).

I checked with the state of California and found that I can legally perform the marriage there so I told him I would do it. I then realized that I hadn't seen my ordination papers in a few years (will need them when it comes time to sign the marriage license). I dug through some of my old file boxes and didn't find them. They must be among the stuff I have in storage in another state (remains from a former life).

I'll have to contact the church and have copies sent to me sometime between now and next Oct. A small annoyance and minor fee but nothing major.

I'm quite flattered that they want me to officiate their wedding and am already quite looking forward to it. Wonder what I could knit for them as gifts between now and then?

mwhite
11-12-2008, 09:57 PM
How totally awesome! Maybe a wedding afghan would be nice...plenty of time to do a nice detailed one.

saracidaltendencies
11-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Awesome! I did my first wedding just over a year ago, I'm ordained as well. When I performed the wedding, I didn't need any of my ordination papers when I signed the license, but it could differ from state to state. Let us know how it goes!

Knitting_Guy
11-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Awesome! I did my first wedding just over a year ago, I'm ordained as well. When I performed the wedding, I didn't need any of my ordination papers when I signed the license, but it could differ from state to state. Let us know how it goes!

Thanks. I may not need them for Cali, but after reading their laws in that regard I am just not sure. Could be I won't actually need them at all. Last wedding I did was in Virginia and you'd be amazed at the hoops I had to jump through and the paperwork I had to provide.

I'll be communicating with them directly between now and then just to be sure of what they require.

If you don't mind my asking, what church/organization ordained you?

lelvsdgs
11-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Wow! That's awesome! I would agree that an afghan would be a good choice. It's something that they could keep forever and would remind them of you when ever they use it.

That is really something special to have your friend ask you to marry them. My brother has done a few ceremonies and I know it means a lot to him.

saracidaltendencies
11-13-2008, 12:53 AM
Thanks. I may not need them for Cali, but after reading their laws in that regard I am just not sure. Could be I won't actually need them at all. Last wedding I did was in Virginia and you'd be amazed at the hoops I had to jump through and the paperwork I had to provide.

I'll be communicating with them directly between now and then just to be sure of what they require.

If you don't mind my asking, what church/organization ordained you?

I was ordained online...lol...With both the Universal Life Church, and, the Church of Spiritual Humanism. Doing a wedding in MO is really easy, you pretty much don't need to do anything except be legally able to perform weddings, and, I believe in good standing with any church. I know the laws vary from state to state though.

newamy
11-13-2008, 01:25 AM
Wow you are sure a surprising and multi taleneted truck driver.

I think a really complex lace afghan would be in order for a gift. LOL.
Or perhaps just a really nice blanket.

evona
11-13-2008, 01:52 AM
Wow! Is there anything you can't do? :rofl:

I think its really great that your friend wants you to officiate at their wedding. I'm with the others, a wedding afghan would be a great gift

Crycket
11-13-2008, 02:17 AM
Ah...I could have asked you to do my wedding....?

ritaw
11-13-2008, 06:44 AM
You are a man of many hidden talents Mason :) I agree that an afgan would be a very nice gift to make and you have plenty of time to do it too.

miccisue
11-13-2008, 07:40 AM
I was ordained online...lol...With both the Universal Life Church, and, the Church of Spiritual Humanism. Doing a wedding in MO is really easy, you pretty much don't need to do anything except be legally able to perform weddings, and, I believe in good standing with any church. I know the laws vary from state to state though.

OK, do you ever watch the sitcom "According To Jim" with Jim Belushi?:teehee:

Knitting_Guy
11-13-2008, 08:23 AM
I was ordained online...lol...With both the Universal Life Church, and, the Church of Spiritual Humanism.Nothing wrong with that, and perfectly legal. Could be an option if I have trouble getting the replacement documents and find that I do need them.

KnittingNat
11-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Congratulations on your friends' wedding! You are of many talents, it seems. An afghan, as everybody else suggested, is a great idea, I knitted a wedding lapghan for my best friend and her husband a few months ago, i used the Tree of Life Afghan pattern combined with Celtic Knot Afghan pattern. They are both on Ravelry and free! Good luck with any gift you choose:thumbsup:

MoniDew
11-13-2008, 10:09 AM
WOW! Mason, do your surprises never cease?! By the way, what flavor are you ordained in, Mason? You neglected to say...
________
Ford ikon history (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Ikon)

Knitting_Guy
11-13-2008, 10:19 AM
By the way, what flavor are you ordained in, Mason? You neglected to say...

Non-denominational.

saracidaltendencies
11-13-2008, 10:33 AM
OK, do you ever watch the sitcom "According To Jim" with Jim Belushi?:teehee:

I can't say I've ever seen that show...lol

mwhite
11-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Surprisingly, South Carolina(middle of the Bible Belt) only requires someone to be a Notary with seal to perform and witness a wedding. I've only had one couple ask me to do this and I declined...

Abbily
11-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Surprisingly, South Carolina(middle of the Bible Belt) only requires someone to be a Notary with seal to perform and witness a wedding. I've only had one couple ask me to do this and I declined...

Wow, really? I wonder if you have to be a SC notary? I'm a notary for the State of Texas. :)

Ironlung21
11-13-2008, 08:19 PM
I only dip into this forum every so often. I logged on yesterday and was amazed to see it had been over a year since my last visit. I was wondering what was going on with Knitting Guy and very pleased to see you are still going strong - I love your (quote)boring blog and the descriptions of your various adventures. The beard is pretty big - will you keep it for the ceremony? Is this too cheeky from a complete stranger? Most probably.

This might be a UK thing - but whatever you make it should include something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue for the bride.... So that could be a blue-ish thing made out of old and new wool with some of the new wool liberated from others. Not sure if ordained types are allowed to liberate wool - but its a good cause.

Knitting_Guy
11-13-2008, 08:39 PM
The beard is pretty big - will you keep it for the ceremony?
Well, as the friend getting married is a member of a beard related group I run I pretty much have to keep it for the ceremony :rofl:

One my favorite old Greek sayings (reputedly a quote from Socrates) is: "There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardlessóchildren and women, and I am neither one."

vaknitter
11-13-2008, 09:36 PM
That's really cool Mason. Being ordained in my church is something I have always thought about...unfortunately it is quite a process and as you mentioned Virginia has a lot of hops. When I got married a couple of years ago I couldn't have an ordained deacon from NY marry me in VA.....

As for a gift I agree with everyone else on the afghan.

Jeremy
11-14-2008, 12:25 AM
In Connecticut you may marry someone if you are a clergyman and "continue in the work of the ministry" or if you are a judge, including a Justice of the Peace. I've performed marriages as a JP. The first one I ever did, believe it or not, was on top of a small peak named Mount Misery.:)

Knitting_Guy
11-14-2008, 12:55 AM
was on top of a small peak named Mount Misery.:)
That is, without a doubt, one of the funniest things I've read in a long time. :roflhard::roflhard:

Ironlung21
11-14-2008, 03:50 AM
[QUOTE=Knitting_Guy;1173610]Well, as the friend getting married is a member of a beard related group I run I pretty much have to keep it for the ceremony QUOTE]

I have to ask, what is a beard related group??

As to Socrates- am no expert-but can say your beard is of a similar magnitude to the big man's....

Knitting_Guy
11-14-2008, 10:45 AM
I have to ask, what is a beard related group??
A web group (A Google Group actually) for men with beards. It's called Bearded Badgers because we can be a cranky, feisty lot at times :rofl:

I started it after a beard forum became no fun due to the posting of a couple of problem people. Those of us who enjoy a good joke and are totally devoid of anything resembling political correctness moved to my Google group from there.

We only have two rules.
1. Political correctness in any form will not be tolerated.

2. No offense may be taken where none was intended.

Ironlung21
11-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Almost makes me wish I had a beard to join in the fun.... well actually that's a complete lie. Bearded ladies were never a good look. Amazing that you are now going to marry someone from this group - the modern world makes my head spin.

Am intrigued to know what badly behaved beardies were up to - to make you shift to google. Shaving?

Knitting_Guy
11-14-2008, 02:05 PM
Am intrigued to know what badly behaved beardies were up to - to make you shift to google. Shaving?:rofl:

Was just a couple of anal retentive PC types constantly trying to be critical of people's language and comments. Wet blankets with serious control issues.

saracidaltendencies
11-14-2008, 04:09 PM
A web group (A Google Group actually) for men with beards. It's called Bearded Badgers because we can be a cranky, feisty lot at times :rofl:

I started it after a beard forum became no fun due to the posting of a couple of problem people. Those of us who enjoy a good joke and are totally devoid of anything resembling political correctness moved to my Google group from there.

We only have two rules.
1. Political correctness in any form will not be tolerated.

2. No offense may be taken where none was intended.

I'm growing a beard :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
11-14-2008, 05:46 PM
:roflhard:

Ironlung21
11-14-2008, 07:46 PM
This has really got me intrigued. So what's to stop Demonica joining in or how do you know that the beard badgers are really beardies? Is there an unspoken code of the facial hair wearer that lets you know when a genuine fellow hairy face type is joining in? Is it a state of mind and the physical presence of hair an irrelevance? Do moustaches count?

BTW who decides you are turning a toe, I am ribbing a cuff and the other lady is working a gusset?

Better stop now as I dont want to distract from the wedding thread - and not sure any more on beards is appropriate -unless of course you were thinking of knitting the bride a borrowed, old, new blue beard.... take care.

Knitting_Guy
11-14-2008, 08:22 PM
This has really got me intrigued. So what's to stop Demonica joining in or how do you know that the beard badgers are really beardies?

Exactly why the group is invitation only, one can't simply join. We actually do have one female member, invited over from that other forum. No she doesn't have a beard :rofl: she just happens to like men with beards.

suzeeq
11-14-2008, 11:04 PM
Exactly why the group is invitation only, one can't simply join. We actually do have one female member, invited over from that other forum. No she doesn't have a beard :rofl: she just happens to like men with beards.

So do I. And if I don't wax my upper lip and jawline, I could come up with a decent fu manchu....