PDA

View Full Version : Do You Preview Movies or Read Reviews about Them Before Your Kids Watch Them?

auburnchick
11-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Ok...I originally posted about how I wasn't going to let my daughter see Twilight because of a review I read. Jessica pointed out that the review I read was the wrong movie...same title but WAY different movie. So I deleted the incorrect info in my original post.

I am still curious about whether y'all review or screen the movies your children see.

Ingrid
11-18-2008, 07:16 PM
I like to find out why a movie is rated the way it is. For me, personally, if it's bad language, that doesn't bother me too much. That could be because I spend my days around teenagers who use it so much--I've become immune. If the grandsons hear a bad word, I'm sure it's not the first time, nor the last.

I do, however, avoid too much sexual content or violence. They're too young to really be ready to understand.

It's a shame that the movie makers put that kind of stuff in the movie. I've heard that this series could be the next Harry Potter in popularity. If the movies aren't acceptable for all ages, you'll lose a lot of potential readers.

auburnchick
11-18-2008, 07:32 PM
I have to say that I haven't read the book. My daughter assures me that the bad stuff isn't in the book. Unless I read it, I can't be sure. But like I told her, Hollywood had to do something to bring people in. I just don't understand why you've got to add language and sex. Oh well, call me naive.

jcmom
11-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Yes, we pretty much always check movie reviews on www.family.com (http://www.family.com). It's the Plugged In movie reviews. My kids are older teens and usually make the decision as to whether they should see something. My 18 year old son walked out of a movie not long ago because the "humor" was so crude. I was proud of him. We feel we need to stand up and do what's right for our family.

ladyjessica
11-18-2008, 11:02 PM
I believe that the link that you posted for 'Twilight' is for a different movie with the same title. The 'Twilight' that is being released on Friday is a story about a teenage girl and the vampire that she falls in love with, and is rated PG-13, not R. :teehee:

This (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1099212/plotsummary) is a brief synopsis of the plot. I am 28, and have read 3 of the 4 books in the Twilight series, and I assure you that there really isn't any horrible language or sexuality in the books. They're written for young adults, and from what I understand the film is a pretty good adaptation of the first book.

I just didn't want your daughter to miss out on the movie based on a review of another film with the same name. :hug:

auburnchick
11-18-2008, 11:37 PM
Jessica,

THANK YOU!!!!!

You were SO right about the other being the wrong movie review!

My poor daughter...

She tried to tell me that the site had it rated wrong. Did I bother to read what the movie was about? Nope. I barely scanned it...not registering anything but what was on the right side of the screen.

Shame on me.

So I googled reviews of the movie, but there really aren't any to be had. So I read reviews about the book and can see that the book has some good themes.

I'm thinking that I will probably let her go see it and ask her to leave (I'll reimburse her if she does this) if there are things in the movie she's uncomfortable with.

Boy do I feel dumb. :doh:

But, my basic point...about screening movies...is still sound. I guess I just need to read things CAREFULLY!

:rofl:

ladyjessica
11-19-2008, 12:20 AM
I'm glad I could be of some help, and I hope she enjoys the movie.

I do agree with you about screening movies. I don't have any children, but I have nieces and nephews, and I know there are definitely some subjects that I would never want them exposed to at this point, or at any point at which they weren't old or mature enough to understand what was happening.

:hug:

tarrentella
11-19-2008, 07:40 AM
I think it is a good idea to screen movies before letting your kids see them but you should aways read more than one review and should take them with a pinch of salt. Movie reviews are often biased and can refect the critics opinions more than the film itself.
I think it is also worth bearing in mind that aduts don't think in the same way as childeren (i'm thinking about about kids younder than 9 here) so it can be hard to judge what is and isn't appropriate when it comes to ambiguous things like 'horror' and scary things - Not a film but as an example we were out the other day in full kit (LARP stuff) which involved armour, swords, goblin masks, pretty dresses and one guy (who is 6'4") dressed head to foot in black, including black facepaint and slicked back black hair. A woman shouted at us to stay away because we would scare her son, meanwhile the son was giggling like mad and trying to get closer to play with the sword, obviously far from scared!
What she judged to be scary turned out to be funny for the little boy!

Abbily
11-19-2008, 10:50 AM
My kids are still young enough that they've never seen a movie that I haven't already seen- simply because we don't take them to the movie theater yet. Not really because of any moral stance; more because there are so many things I would rather do with them, like take them to plays or the ballet or to see the Rockettes! :) Anyway, there is another good review website www.kids-in-mind.com that gives information specifically geared towards helping you figure out if a movie is appropriate for your children.

Ronda
11-19-2008, 11:01 AM
Yes, I do preview movies before I let my kids watch them, and my oldest is 17. He wanted to read the Twilight series, so I read all of them first.

There is a small amount of innuendo in the books. There is no bad language though and nothing explicit.

ETA: I read somewhere that the author of the series had vowed that she would not put anything in her books that she would not want her own kids to read.

Also, I just finished the last book in the series last night. Throughout the series, Bella (the main character) is a virgin. There is, of course, some "electricity" between Bella and Edward throughout the series (what I talked about above - the innuendo) but they never act on it. In the last book, however, they do get married and they obviously consummate their marriage. It is not graphically portrayed in the book, but you still might want to check it out depending on the age of your children. I don't want to give too much of the plot away in case people haven't read the books yet and want to. My 10-year-old wants to read these books since my 17-year-old loved them so much, and I've told her that especially the last one is not appropriate for HER.

Simply_Renee
11-19-2008, 11:45 AM
I definitely check out movies first.

For the 5 year old- nothing over G, no exceptions.

For the almost 13 year old- she has watched a few PG-13 movies like Harry Potter, but I am always there to watch it with her and we talk about it afterward if there's anything I feel we need to discuss.

Some kids are allowed to watch whatever they want. I had an 8 yr old bring Freddy vs. Jason to a sleepover. I didn't let them watch it- her mom just laughed it off saying she loved scary movies.

(!)

MoniDew
11-19-2008, 01:36 PM
I too used the rating system for both movies and video games. It helped avoid a lot of arguements by saying "what is it rated?" That's why it's there!

I used to be very anal retentive, religious, moral police man with my kids, but that did very little good once they were old enough to watch things at a friends house or big brother/sister could take them to a movie or rent a video game. They are going to sneak into things just like you and I did. And survived.

Kids have a funny way of making sure your job as a parent is pretty much over by the age of 9. Younger than 9, they'll listen to you and you have your prime opportunity to teach them what you believe. After that, they are going to do exactly as they please whether you like it or not. Funny thing is, they are usually pretty trustworthy. What you taught them did sink in and they know how you feel. But they still have to scratch the itch and see for themselves. After a while, they get over themselves and come back to what you taught them.

Trust your kid. And be there when they feel a little beat up. Don't do the "I told you so's." Just comfort, love, give them back their strength. And let them go back out to test the waters again.

Your job as a parent is to work yourself out of a job.
________
Ford cht engine history (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_CHT_engine)

Tropicflower24
11-20-2008, 11:07 AM
My parents filter a lot of what my siblings and I watch/read. Mom and Dad trust Jaybro (younger than I but 5 years older than the next kiddo) and I to watch what we read/watch and even listen to (audio books, cds, etc) very carefully. We actaully don't even have a TV set up (twill be one day, but too small of a house, and the younger kids don't do good at all with large amounts of TV. I personally like the thing the way it is.... an occasional movie at which point you have to drag everything out and set it up. - Which defers you further from watching tv!!!) so we don't have a lot of videos or anything coming in the house. We do go to the library pretty close to weekly though. When mom is sick she puts me in charge of filtering through the books as she knows I won't let the kids read anything that goes into any questionable content.

auburnchick
11-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Kids have a funny way of making sure your job as a parent is pretty much over by the age of 9. Younger than 9, they'll listen to you and you have your prime opportunity to teach them what you believe. After that, they are going to do exactly as they please whether you like it or not. Funny thing is, they are usually pretty trustworthy. What you taught them did sink in and they know how you feel. But they still have to scratch the itch and see for themselves. After a while, they get over themselves and come back to what you taught them.

Nope...I think they need even more guidance when they are teens. Sure, they make decisions, but always under the watchful eyes of parents who can rein them in if necessary. Sometimes kids need a reminder to stop, use their resources to thoroughly investigate things, and then proceed if the way is clear.

I firmly believe that my job as a parent will not be done...even when my kids are in college. If I'm helping pay for things, such as tuition, boarding, and other necessities, it's still my job to oversee things. Course, I won't be saying which movies they'll be watching at that point, but overall, they are still under my jurisdiction.

Tropicflower24
11-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Love (1,000)