PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite Christmas movies?

Sunshine's Mom
11-25-2008, 12:07 PM
In no particular order mine are:

1) Charlie Brown's Christmas (technically not a movie, but I must watch it nonetheless).
2) Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas (ditto)
3) Christmas Vacation
4) White Christmas
5) Love, Actually
6) Better off Dead
7) Christmas in Connecticut (with Dyan Cannon and Kris Kristofferson)
8) Scrooged (Bill Murray....'nuff said)
9) A Christmas Story ("I triple dog dare you" not to watch this at least once)
10) The Muppets Christmas

I'm sure there's many more that the rest of you will say and I'll agree to, but that's it for now.

Crycket
11-25-2008, 12:43 PM
I have to admit I am a Bah Hum Bug....

I hate Xmas and most of everything to do with it...but yes...there are a few movies I can't help but get sucked into

Muppets Christmas Carol is one...
Rudolf is a must
Grinch that stole Christmas (the old cartoon less than the new movie, although that is cute too)

McKnitty
11-25-2008, 01:09 PM
I still love Charlie Brown, Rudoph, Frosty, and those other traditional specials that come on TV. Funny, we bought those shows on DVD, but we only watch them when they come on regular TV.

I always think I cannot possibly bring myself to watch A Christmas Story and It's A Wonderful Life one more single time, but I always do (those are on like a billion times during the holidays, how could you not?).

Dangles
11-25-2008, 03:18 PM
I always enjoy, Charlie Brown's Christmas, It's A Wonderful Life, A Christmas Story

saracidaltendencies
11-25-2008, 03:33 PM
In no particular order:

How The Grinch Stole Christmas (makes my cry every time...lol)

A Christmas Story (ok, the end of this one make me tear up too...haha)

A Christmas Carol with George C. Scott

Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer (1964 w/ Burl Ives...it's so cheesy but I love it...lol...)

Frosty The Snowman (1969)

Christmas Vacation

Jan in CA
11-25-2008, 04:02 PM
I like all Christmas movies, but I think my favorites are the old classics.

In no particular order and all on my Netflix queue -
Holiday Inn (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034862/)
Miracle on 34th Street (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039628/)
The Bishop's Wife (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039190/)
Holiday (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0030241/)
It's a Wonderful Life (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038650/)
Christmas in Connecticut (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037595/)

But there is a lot to be said for just plain fun and silly, too!
Elf
The Grinch
Christmas Story
Christmas Vacation (National Lampoon)

Sunshine's Mom
11-25-2008, 04:30 PM
How could I forget the Grinch?!?!?!? For sure, this is a must.

Oh, and I love the Vicar of Dibley Christmas specials. The one where she does Christmas lunch with everyone is such a riot! And the other when Alice gives birth in the manger during their play gets me crying every time. And Mr. Bean's Christmas, too.

I'm a Christmas dork! There.....I've said it.

Mike
11-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Lethal Weapon
Die Hard
Die Hard 2
Long Kiss Goodnight
First Blood
Jack Frost
Silent Night, Deadly Night

Lindsey H
11-25-2008, 07:00 PM
Thank you Jan!!!
I had not even thought to add Christmas movies to my Netflix queue. I :heart: Netflix.
My favorites are
A Charlie Brown Christmas
The Grinch-both versions
Elf --you gotta love Bob Newhart dressed as an elf
A Christmas Carol
A Christmas Story
Christmas Vacation

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-25-2008, 10:25 PM
I *can't stand* Will Ferral, but i LOVE LOVE LOVE the movie Elf. I think it's hilarious. It's non-stop laughter.
And A Christmas Story. I own this one and watch it regularly throughout the year, but I'll be tuning in to the 24-hour marathon later this week, naturally.

nonny2t
11-25-2008, 11:01 PM
I don't have a lot, but here are a couple:

White Christmas
The Christmas List (with Mimi Rogers, very cute movie)
Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas (makes me cry!)
The Grinch (cartoon not movie)
Charlie Brown Christmas (I cry at this one too cause I feel sorry for Charlie)
A Magic Christmas (with Mary Steenburgen on just a night or so ago and a BIG BOOHOOer so have the kleenex ready)

Jan in CA
11-25-2008, 11:16 PM
And A Christmas Story. I own this one and watch it regularly throughout the year, but I'll be tuning in to the 24-hour marathon later this week, naturally.

WHAT 24 hour marathon?! What channel?

I don't hate Will Farrell, but most of his movies are just stupid. I do love Elf though. :teehee:

lelvsdgs
11-26-2008, 12:23 AM
Elf
Chirstmas Story (I'll be tuning in for the marathon as well)
Miracle on 34th St.

bjc1050
11-26-2008, 11:30 AM
White Christmas has always been a favorite.

Fallen Angel with Gary Sinise has become a favorite. A very sweet story and it will be airing on Hallmark Channel this Friday night and probably will be repeated a few times between then and Christmas.

rachael72knitter
11-26-2008, 11:32 AM
I love, love, love Meet Me in St. Louis with Judy Garland. I used to live there so it is sentimental for me and my g-grandmother went to that fair.

I also like Miracle on 34th Street, and It's A Wonderful Life, and I love A Christmas Story.

Prancer is a cute one also.

tarrentella
11-26-2008, 11:45 AM
White Christmas!!
I watch it every year when i am wrapping Christmas Presents and have it on agan when i am putting the decs up. I love it to bits. My mum dos the same even though she is australia. She will turn the AC right up high so she can sit with a hot mug of coco and a blanket and pretend it is wintery outside!

tarrentella
11-26-2008, 11:55 AM
I love got so exited about the thought of White Christmas tthat i forgot how much i like Miracle on 34th street (the original or the modern version) and Santa Claus the Movie is a big favourite of mine.
And The Snowman - although it now makes me sad as a it brings back memories of watching it with my Grandma who would always sing 'walking in the air' very badly.

Sunshine's Mom
11-26-2008, 12:48 PM
I love Christmas movies, but can someone please explain the appeal of Elf? I find Will Ferrell entirely moronic and although Bob Newhart as an elf is funny, the rest of it is just plain dumb to me. And I like stupid humor. I actually really don't like this movie. I was just talking to my DH about it last night. People who's opinions I normally have high regard for like this movie so I must be missing something. I watch it every year and get mad at myself for having just wasted 2+ hours of my life trying to figure out the mystery of Elf.

Lindsey H
11-26-2008, 03:44 PM
I love Elf. I just find it very funny and sweet. There are some movies that I just don't "get" that others like. If you don't like it, you just don't like it. Enjoy the ones you do like and don't let it bother you. :mrgreen:

Crycket
11-26-2008, 04:18 PM
I forgot about The Santa Clause....I don't mind that one...

The first one...I haven't seen The Mrs Clause...and there was another one wasn't there?

Abbily
11-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Ooooh, I LOVE the Vicar of Dibley Christmas specials! :)

A Christmas Carol with George C. Scott - just got my girls to watch it for the first time, and they love it too!

Miracle on 34th Street - the original

All the old tv specials

Lady Violet
11-26-2008, 05:40 PM
I gotta say all the Doctor Who Christmas specials. They're long enough to be movies by today's standards. And good old Charlie Brown of course. :thumbsup:

miccisue
11-26-2008, 09:49 PM
I forgot about The Santa Clause....I don't mind that one...

The first one...I haven't seen The Mrs Clause...and there was another one wasn't there?

Yep the third one is "The Escape Clause", and has Martin Short as Jack Frost in it. It's pretty good, too, but different.

I always watch "White Christmas", "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation", "A Christmas Story", "Miracle on 34th Street" ( the original ONLY - I get upset with "updating" the classics for some reason), "It's A Wonderful Life", "Scrooged", "The Year Without A Santa Claus" (love Heatmiser and Snowmiser!!!), "Nestor The Long Eared Christmas Donkey" - I'm 53 and still bawl my eyes out at this one), "Jingle All The Way", "Elf", "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol", "Nightmare Before Christmas" (I watch that one at Halloween and Christmas, LOL!), "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas" (the cartoon one), "A Charlie Brown Christmas", and "The Polar Express".

I wonder if the one with Danny DeVito and Matthew Broderick is any good? They're the ones who get into competing with each other over decorating at Christmas (can't remember the name of the movie, D'OH!)....I always enjoyed the "Home Improvement" Christmas shows when it was on the air.

evona
11-26-2008, 11:25 PM
A Christmas Story - hands down!!! Its being played at a local theater and I can't wait to see it on the big screen this year :)

Puddinpop
11-27-2008, 12:40 AM
Has anyone seen Christmas with the Kranks? I believe that's the name of it. It's pretty cute. I love the old classics and Christmas Vacation is great. My husband likes The Santa Clause. I love the dancing in White Christmas.

ladyjessica
11-27-2008, 02:48 AM
I just love Christmas movies. I think that my absolute favorite is How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the original version with Boris Karloff. I hated the one with Jim Carrey). The Grinch was always very special in my house growing up. Every Christmas Eve my mom would read The Night Before Christmas and How the Grinch Stole Christmas to my sister and me, so it has a special place in my heart.

I also love It's A Wonderful Life, A Christmas Story, White Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street (Natalie Wood version), A Christmas Carol, Christmas Vacation, Prancer, One Magic Christmas, and The Santa Claus Movie. I do like Elf, as well. I think it's very sweet and unassuming, and very un-Will Ferrellish.

Also, I :heart: The Vicar of Dibley and I'm so excited to find other people on here who love it, too. I love the Christmas specials, but there are so many other great episodes, as well. My favorite is the one where she has everybody bring all their animals to the church so they can be blessed. It makes me cry every single time. :aww:

miccisue
11-27-2008, 09:16 AM
I love Christmas movies, but can someone please explain the appeal of Elf? I find Will Ferrell entirely moronic and although Bob Newhart as an elf is funny, the rest of it is just plain dumb to me. And I like stupid humor. I actually really don't like this movie. I was just talking to my DH about it last night. People who's opinions I normally have high regard for like this movie so I must be missing something. I watch it every year and get mad at myself for having just wasted 2+ hours of my life trying to figure out the mystery of Elf.

First off, it's OK that you don't like it. Not everyone has the same taste.

As for the appeal? I'd have to say I'm not quite sure. Usually I don't care for Will Farrell movies (seems like he goes for the cheap sleaze jokes most of the time), but to me this one is totally different. I guess it's because, to me, he seems so childlike and innocent in this one, doing stuff that as a grownup, looks like it could be one of those fun, crazy, things to do just to let the stress break and let the little kid out in you - like spinning around in a revolving door, the snowball fight....stuff like that.

Also, I have to admit, one of my favorite lines is when he's in James Cann's office and the phone rings. He grabs it and picks it up and says "Buddy the elf, what's your favorite color?".....I have this insane urge to do that at work every once in a while during the Christmas holidays. I haven't yet, but I know it's gonna come out one of these days.:teehee: