PDA

View Full Version : Favorite socks pattern?

dcinfo124
11-25-2008, 01:28 PM
I received some beautiful Opal socks yarn over the weekend and can't wait to knit up some socks with them. Anyone has a favorite/sure bet sock pattern they can't live without? I went to the website with all the sock patterns but I still couldn't decide which one to use. I don't know how to knit lace or cable but I can handle almost everything else.

thank you...JOy

lulu2
11-29-2008, 03:24 AM
Hi there, I see nobody has answered your query yet. I am not a sock expert, but am addicted! If the Opal yarn you have is self patterning, I think the best is to knit a plain stocking stitch as this allows the yarn to form lovely patterns. I have a pic on my blog of just such a pattern with Opal. Everyone loves the "fairisle" patterns, not realising that the yarn did it for me!! I have a very basic sock pattern - cuff down - which I use all the time, just adding stitch variations. If you want it, let me know. lotsa love, lulu

teachermom
11-29-2008, 12:47 PM
Most of the socks that I have done have been plain stockinette stitch or K2 P2 rib - the yarn that I have used on these have been the self strip or self fair isle. I have done a pair that I stitched in a broken double rib pattern - but the yarn was a solid blue color (picture is on my blog).

If you have a solid color yarn - I would play around with different patterns - some can be just basic knit purl patterns and don't have to be involved. If you have yarn that self stripes - I would do just a plain stockinette or rib pattern.

Arielluria
11-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Absolutely! For me it's Rainy Day Socks from Magknits. See 3 or 4 pair I've made on Ravelry (same user name).

Cynamar
11-30-2008, 12:56 AM
I like just plain ribbed socks. I think they stay up best.

sprig
11-30-2008, 05:53 PM
this is the first sock pattern ive ever followed... i really love it ... ive made 2 pairs in the past week so far for my baby for christmas...
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/PATTsoxon2stix.html

dcinfo124
11-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions.

Lulu, would you email me the sock pattern you're referring to? . Thank you!

cheley
12-01-2008, 03:44 PM
[quote=sprig;1179020]this is the first sock pattern ive ever followed... i really love it ... ive made 2 pairs in the past week so far for my baby for christmas...
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/PATTsoxon2stix.html/quote]
:chair: This is the "first" sock you ever made? Last night I thought it was too much vino for me...but today wow!! Awesome....hope I can do that in a few years..looks waaaay to complicated for me:muah: