PDA

View Full Version : My BF just got laid off

evona
11-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Isn't it a wonderful time to get the news?? 2 days before Thanksgiving!! I am so upset right now. I'm so depressed and my stomach is in knots. I don't know how we will get through. I don't really make enough on my job alone. :cry: :verysad:

saracidaltendencies
11-25-2008, 04:00 PM
:hug::hug::hug:

I'm so sorry!

Tropicflower24
11-25-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm praying for you Evona.

I don't want to sound rude or anything, but please remember you have him. He may not have a job, but you have each other.

I know how hard it can be to deal with things like this during the holidays. My mom has MS. Last thanksgiving she was deathly ill. She almost died on thanksgiving day. She even started trying to give me her last wishes. It was so scary. So I know how hard things during the holidays can be. :(
((hugs)) and prayers for you and yours.

Abbily
11-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Evona, I'm so sorry! I'll be praying for you guys, too. HUGS!

Sunshine's Mom
11-25-2008, 04:15 PM
:hug:

Mike
11-25-2008, 05:22 PM
What kind of scrooge would lay off right before a holiday?

LadyFirelyght
11-25-2008, 06:16 PM
I know it's tough, but you'll get through it! My husband was fired from his job (boss got rid of every single male employee that was working there, go figure.) a few weeks ago and I was sobbing for a couple days because it's so stressful. He got a job two weeks ago making more money and getting more hours.

You just need to hope for the best! You'll pull through. :hug:

Crycket
11-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Wishing you the best!

Cynamar
11-25-2008, 07:10 PM
SO sorry! I got fired yesterday so I can totally sympathize.

KnerdKnitter
11-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Wow! My boyfriend got laid off too!

I'm sure you'll survive, give him a little while to get his emotions together and he can get back out there and find another :)

Just keep a positive additude and you guys will figure things out :)

figaro
11-25-2008, 07:19 PM

knitgal
11-25-2008, 07:43 PM
I have nothing for you but this :hug:

auburnchick
11-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry. This is a bad time for everyone, unfortunately. We have a paper mill in town, and it just closed its doors for 40 days, which takes the employees through New Year's. I, myself, was laid off at the end of October.

I totally feel your pain. I'm so sorry.

We're having to cut back majorly...even on stuff like the heating.

We'll pray that he finds a job soon.

evona
11-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Thank you all for your support. Every time I think about this I start crying. Its just so scary right now.

I'm praying for you Evona.

I don't want to sound rude or anything, but please remember you have him. He may not have a job, but you have each other.

Thanks! I told him that and told him we will make it through no matter what. I do believe this is true but I am still scared - especially for the immediate future.

What kind of scrooge would lay off right before a holiday?

That's waht I thought too. :sad:

lelvsdgs
11-26-2008, 12:51 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, I work in the unemployment field and we have been swamped this last week or so. We are having massive layoffs and so many families are being affected. Just try to hang in there and he'll find something. :muah:

MoniDew
11-26-2008, 12:21 PM
:hug: :grphug: :grphug: :hug:
My love to all who are experiencing employment difficulties.
(Not much good at being a pray-er, but I do send my love.)

If any of those affected are the adventurous type, please feel free to contact me. We can talk about my experiences in self-employment - which is the surest way to never be laid off or fired. It takes COURAGE, but you control your own destiny that way. Sometimes, you need a little "break" from your day-to-day to come up with a whole, new, life-plan.
________
Mexicocity hotel (http://mexicocityhotel.info)

evona
11-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Monidew - I was thinking that maybe this is the time for my BF to take some of his good ideas and venture out on his own. I showed him the website for SBA (Small Business Association) but he's not ready to hear about it yet so I'm calling them and asking for information. It is scary. "what if we fail?" does echo in the back of my head, but I am pushing that aside and trying to replace it with "what if we succeed?". Right now its a bit depressing around the house. We know we won't have much this holiday season, but I've told my BF that we will have many other Christmases and presents aren't important anyway. I think it makes me saddest because I know he loves to make sure my kids have a lot of presents, but they are 18 and 17 and presents just aren't what Christmas is all about.

miccisue
11-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Please don't think I'm being flip about this, but while he's looking for work in his field, has he thought of checking out stores that are advertising for extra help over the holidays, or restaurants? I know it's not what he's looking for permanently, but if it's money that is the big concern.....hey, a paycheck is a paycheck, and anything is better than nothing.

Here's praying he finds the solution he wants soon.:hug:

KnitClickChick
11-29-2008, 03:08 PM
:grphug: Hang in there, something good will come along!

Knitting_Guy
11-29-2008, 03:33 PM
That really stinks, but in my experience these things can often turn out to be a blessing in disguise and lead to something better.

Hang in there.

knitasha
12-01-2008, 10:28 AM
[quote=LadyFirelyght;1177706],,,(boss got rid of every single male employee that was working there, go figure.)
quote]

I figure the boss was probably paying the men more than the women so he's saving money by laying off the guys.

I'm glad your husband found something so good so quickly.

ArtLady1981
12-02-2008, 04:18 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that!

Isn't it just awful for employers to give a guy the boot before the Holiays?? Wassup with that anyway?? :shrug:

Here in the Pacific Northwest, the home of WAMU banking...3,400 employees got the bad news today...some will be without a job in 60 days...and some drag on til the end of 2009.

The loss of 3,400 jobs will impact about 10,000 other jobs.

It is like dominoes.

I wish the FED would give every tax paying American a million dollar bail-out!!! I heard that it wouldn't amount to as much as the FED is bailing out BIG BUSINESS.

Hang in there! He'll get another position real soon! :thumbsup: