PDA

View Full Version : Who has made Brittle?

beldaraan
11-25-2008, 08:19 PM
:wall:

I can't get my sugar to completely liquify and I really, really want to make almond brittle. I've tried, two times, to liquify the sugar and it melts on the bottom but never the top. The recipe calls for 3 cups of sugar (so yes, at this point I have wasted 6 cups of it) and 1/4 cup of water. Melt it at medium high heat.

Before turning on the burner, I stirred the sugar to mix in with the water. Once all of the sugar looked wet, I turned on the burner and let it go. A couple of times I gently swirled the pot around, but otherwise left it alone.

The sugar seems to start turning colour between the 15 to 20 minute mark. It gently bubbles throughout the time it is on the stove.

Do I need to swirl more?
Do I need to adjust my heat?
Would adding a bit more water help?

Please, please help me :pout:

beldaraan
11-25-2008, 08:25 PM
By the way, I should add that there is no need for a candy thermometer to make this. Also, the sugar and the water is the brittle part. Add almonds and pour in pan is pretty much the rest of the instructions. It's not a customary brittle recipe. I really, really need help to figure out why my sugar isn't turning 100% into a liquid.

Ingrid
11-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Why wouldn't you stir it?

I made peanut brittle years ago in the microwave, since my stove was out of commission and I had to donate to a bake sale.

It worked out great.

beldaraan
11-25-2008, 08:44 PM
The recipe tells me not to stir it once it starts boiling. I can swirl gently, but no stirring.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Yes, I agree, I think you need to stir more. Like, all the time. Or find a new recipe...

:hug:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Okay ixnay my first suggestion then :teehee:

Ingrid
11-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Checking around, it looks like you can stir it until it starts boiling, then you stop. It's worth a shot.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-25-2008, 09:00 PM
How much sugar do you have left in your house Beldie? :)

beldaraan
11-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I have stirred it to get the sugar and water combined and then left it. Maybe I can stir it longer until it boils.

Here's a recipe that is almost identical, in instructions, to the one I am using:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pine-Nut-Brittle-5254

I have searched other brittle recipes to see if I could find out any information, but that seems to be the cookie cutter explanation.

beldaraan
11-25-2008, 09:03 PM
How much sugar do you have left in your house Beldie? :)

I started off with an almost full 4kg bag :mrgreen:

beldaraan
11-25-2008, 09:12 PM
I think I might need to add more water according to this article:

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=612639

I don't think adding more water will hurt the brittle since it is supposed to evaporate off anyway.

beldaraan
11-25-2008, 09:14 PM
Oh, and according to that article, it looks like I may even be able to salvage the two sugar rocks I have sitting on my counter. :thumbsup:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Oh, and according to that article, it looks like I may even be able to salvage the two sugar rocks I have sitting on my counter. :thumbsup:
Isn't that illegal????

Oh, nvm, you're in Canada... :teehee:

cftwo
11-26-2008, 09:20 AM
Microwave brittle is so easy you'll never make it the old fashioned way again. This one got good reviews. :) http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Microwave-Peanut-Brittle-2/Detail.aspx

MoniDew
11-26-2008, 11:52 AM
I realize that you are discussing your particular recipe, but I just wanted to say that I absolutely do stir, and I absolutely do use a candy thermometer. I just feel like I have more control over the process that way.
________
FORD VERVE CONCEPTS PICTURE (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Verve_concepts)

Becky Morgan
11-26-2008, 11:02 PM
A few years ago somebody said just melt the sugar, no water, by stirring it around with a wooden spoon. I put the nuts in the oven to stay warm and sprinkle them with vanilla extract so they're all ready when the sugar goes. Works for me!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-26-2008, 11:57 PM
Hey Beld, I was thinking too that maybe it's just not hot enough? If you're not using a thermometer to tell the temp, I think it's suposed to come off the spoon like little hairs... think laceweight mohair ;)

beldaraan
11-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Okay, I haven't gone for a third attempt yet, but hope to get one done tonight. We're busy tonight with parent/teacher interview and shopping for basement reno stuff. I'm hoping that I can pick up a candy thermometer while we're out though. With the great suggestions here and some from a friend who watches the foodie stations all the time, here are the modifications I will be doing to get liquid sugar this time: put sugar in a food processor to get finer sugar, use a wider bottom pan to get more heat to the top quicker, add more water, start at a lower temperature, stir a lot before boiling, buy and use candy thermometer. If this doesn't work, then it will be a sad, sad moment for Beldie.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-28-2008, 12:23 AM

beldaraan
11-29-2008, 04:03 AM
It's not working. :pout:

I had it on the second lowest setting on my stove to dissolve the sugar and never got a clear solution. I stirred constantly. It started hardening on the top again, so I'm done. :verysad:

rachael72knitter
11-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Why wouldn't you stir it?

I made peanut brittle years ago in the microwave, since my stove was out of commission and I had to donate to a bake sale.

It worked out great.

I always make mine in the microwave. So easy and turns out perfect every time. No one ever knows the difference; they think I slaved over the stove with my candy thermometer.

rachael72knitter
11-29-2008, 10:28 AM
I would stir constantly until it starts to boil. That is what I do anytime a recipe calls for sugar that is liquified or a caramel.

I would think you would have to get the water evenly dispursed to get the sugar to start to dissolve, then the heat will do the rest when it starts to boil.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-01-2008, 11:45 PM
have you tried making it with corn syrup instead?

beldaraan
12-02-2008, 12:42 PM
This brittle was for a bake exchange that happened on Sunday. It was my third recipe in two weeks that didn't turn out and I wasn't feeling too good about it since I was out of time. Friday night was my last attempt and I failed it. Feeling miserable, I told my husband that we were going to have to buy eight batches of cookies because I was not going to bake anymore.

My dear sweet husband went onto the net and found a microwave recipe, with corn syrup and butter in it, and made a practice one. It turned out so he made seven more :heart:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-02-2008, 07:54 PM
yay beldie's DH!!!! :woot: thats a real man :)