PDA

View Full Version : What's the "hype" with Rav Knitting Site

cheley
12-05-2008, 06:31 AM
Hi everyone...I was sent an invite to join Rav..so I set up an account...Yikes:zombie: looks like too much Info for me (not being sarcastic) Maybe I am just "used too" a very plain and simple...too the point site (umm KH)..what do you guys use it for? I am truly puzzled:flirt:

Knit4Pie
12-05-2008, 06:41 AM
I mainly use the Notebook area, keeping track of my projects, keeping a queue of things I'd like to make. I love searching for patterns too, you can find just about anything. When I need info on yarn, that's a good feature too.

Some love the forums, I spent some time there, but they aren't for me.

GinnyG
12-05-2008, 06:52 AM
I've been on Ravelry for quite some time and must admit I've never really gotten "into" it. I have just started to use the notebook and like it, but it is very time consuming to use.

There is so much on Ravelry that you would have to spent 24/7 just to figure it all out, I don't have that kind of time. I do like looking up patterns and yarn to see what others have done but for the most part I think I have barely scratched the surface.

I think it's an amazing site that shows incredible effort to put together but I doubt I will ever use a fraction of the functions available.

My LYS offers a class in "ravelry", someday I may have time to take it but for the moment I'd rather spend what little free time I have knitting.

So I guess my opinion is mixed; it's an amazing site that I just don't use that often

zkimom
12-05-2008, 08:10 AM
When I first joined Ravelry I kept a running list of my knitting projects, updated them as needed and added regularly to my queue. These days I mainly use it to search out patterns and find projects to make with certain yarns.

I find the project and yarn databases invaluable, especially when it comes to stash yarn. I had a single ball of Rowan Kidsilk Night that I wanted to use for a scarf. I was able to choose a pattern based on what I found on Ravelry. I went to the section on yarns and then browsed through all the different projects people have made with that yarn until I found the one I liked and could make with only one ball.

I have also looked up patterns that I want to make to see what yarns others have used and if there are any comments about the pattern itself. That has helped me choose to go ahead with a project or if there were lots of negative feedback on a particular pattern, to choose another.

I think just the pattern and yarn search functions alone make the site worth it's weight in gold.

I like the pattern queue function a lot as well. I may browse through a knitting site or magazine and find a pattern I like, but if I don't have a method of keeping track of where I saw it, I always forget and have to sit and go searching through magazines and books and bookmarks until I find it again. My queue allows me to have all that info in one list.

I don't spend that much time on Ravelry but it's an amazing and flexible resource that can be personalized to fit every knitter's needs.

KnittingNat
12-05-2008, 10:33 AM
I use the Notebook feature on a daily basis - updating my WIP's, my stash etc. I also use the queue feature. It is a great place to check out others' projects and see what can you knit with a particular yarn or see how a certain pattern looks in different yarns and sizes. You can find very useful comments on projects that will make your knitting easier. I don't hang around the forums, it's too much for me, but i do participate in some groups of interest or my local knitters. I'm not into signing up for different issues forum sites, so the groups are very nice and in my case i got a lot of support from fellow knitters on some important issues.

Abbily
12-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Cheley, I thought the exact same thing when I first signed up. I still don't use much of the site, but I keep my projects listed in the project section so I can look back and remember what I did. I'm trying to keep my stash listed in the stash section so I don't forget about yarns I have- that way when I want to start a new project I can find a yarn to use in my stash easier than digging through my bins. Of course, I still have to find the actual yarn... :) It's nice to be able to see what other people have done with specific patterns, what problems they've had or changes they've made, and what it looks like on 'real people'. There are, I suppose, a ton of other things to do on ravelry such as groups, forums, etc, but that's just 'too much' for me. I like the forum here. :)

cftwo
12-05-2008, 11:20 AM
I mostly use Ravelry to check in with my sisters - we have our own group (all of us knit or crochet). I can spend so long working on a single project - or I start one and then make a bunch of little things while I'm working on the big project - that I don't use the functions for tracking projects.

knitpurlgurl
12-05-2008, 11:29 AM
I use it to keep track of all of my stash, current projects, finished projects, and to locate patterns and designers. I moderate a group for newbies, Moving Beyond Rectangles (http://www.ravelry.com/groups/moving-beyond-rectangles), and belong to several groups. It's a great resource place to store digital thoughts, yarns, and patterns as well as discover new designers, start up yarn companies, specialty yarns.. et cetera. I LOVE it!

I come to KH because it's more of a 'family' feel community. People get to really know each other here and are very friendly and supportive. Amy has awesome videos and you really couldn't find a nicer place to kick back and relax and discuss yarn/knitting/crocheting!

Jan in CA
12-05-2008, 11:49 AM
I use KH for the forums and the social side of knitting. It's a place that feels like 'home' to me.

However... I use Ravelry multiple times a day most often for searching patterns. I also keep track of my own projects and find it useful for it's journal abilities. Someone asked me the other day what needle size I had used and if I hadn't had Rav I wouldn't have remembered, but I could look up the project and find out right away. Because of the 'favorites' and 'queue' I never lose a pattern link I wanted to research more or make. I also research yarns and see what people have made with it or the reverse, find a pattern and see what types of yarns were used and what they they had to say about them. It's an invaluable resource IMO.

daisyjane
12-05-2008, 11:58 AM
I like the pattern search. If I have a pattern in mind, I like to see how finished projects look in different yarns. I never got around to updating my notebook. I did join a few groups, mostly LYS groups, to keep up on sales, classes, etc.

Sunshine's Mom
12-05-2008, 12:07 PM
I use the notebook to keep track of my needles so if I get the urge to splurge I know right away what I've got and what I need so I don't double-up. Otherwise, I mainly enjoy the groups that I'm a part of, mainly "Heroes" (discussions about the TV show) and "Survivor" (again, discussions about the show). I don't really search for patterns or anything like that. And it's easier to have a discussion about something in particular on that site. But, KH is still the best knitting site of all and, I agree with the others, it feels like home.

hartleystudio
12-05-2008, 12:12 PM
I find the project and yarn databases invaluable, especially when it comes to stash yarn. I had a single ball of Rowan Kidsilk Night that I wanted to use for a scarf. I was able to choose a pattern based on what I found on Ravelry. I went to the section on yarns and then browsed through all the different projects people have made with that yarn until I found the one I liked and could make with only one ball.

I have also looked up patterns that I want to make to see what yarns others have used and if there are any comments about the pattern itself. That has helped me choose to go ahead with a project or if there were lots of negative feedback on a particular pattern, to choose another.

AMEN!! Well said!

I have avoided many time consuming mistakes by just looking at what others knit and in what yarn. You can search by yarn type, brand and even color! It's so great! There are 1000's of patterns there and if it's in a book, there is a feature that will even search your local library for it! I use it all the time! It is confusing at first but once you get the hang of it and give yourself time to learn it slowly, you will love it! :inlove:

Ronda
12-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Haven't read the other replies yet, so this might be a repeat of information. I rarely use the forums there. There are too many for me over there. I use R mostly to find patterns and to see what other people are doing with a specific yarn/pattern. Say I have some yarn and have no idea what to do with it. You can find projects that have been completed with the same yarn. I love looking at the FO's on R. I get ideas for projects, books, etc. on R. It is overwhelming over there, but I still enjoy it.

Doublereeder2
12-05-2008, 12:25 PM
I like to see the projects of others if I am knitting the same one but also like the pattern searches and yarn searches if I am looking for new ideas. I like to add my FOs to the database.
As for the social aspect, that does not much interest me (although I am in 20+ groups?!) but don't post much at all. I love this forum :-) Everyone is so nice and there is no snarkiness.

heatherg23
12-07-2008, 07:53 PM
It is confusing...I only use it to put my patterns on there and then I get to find patterns as well. If your a designer it's great. The groups and forums are very confusing.

vaknitter
12-07-2008, 10:10 PM
I'm right there with you .... I was invited to join ravelry and was a bit disappointed. I find the boards to bit pretty snippy and I don't get a lot of answers to my questions (unlike KH where I always get valuable feedback). I don't have time to put all my stash and projects into the notebook, but I DO love searching for patterns/projects based on the yarn I have etc.

knitasha
12-07-2008, 11:15 PM
I've joined several groups whose members have similar interests and enjoy sharing ideas about everything from sock knitting to spinning.

I haven't used the Notebook section much but I love the needle chart. It keeps me from buying needles I already have.

For me, Rav is an incredible source of information and ideas. Everybody's pattern and yarn information is there for everybody else to share; and in that sense it's a real helping community. There are some groups that seem to specialize in snarkiness and meanness. Their home pages carry a warning about the kind of content they contain, and if that sort of thing doesn't interest you, just stay away. The groups I belong to are polite and friendly; some of us have become friends in RL. One feature I enjoy is the row of buttons at the bottom of each post. You can click on Agree, Disagree, Love, Funny, etc., to indicate your reaction to the post without having to write a full reply.

What amazes me is the generosity of members who are well-known experts, designers, artists and authors. Ask a question about a pattern in a certain book, and the author herself may come along to answer it. Ask about a spinning technique and a master spinner will offer help and encouragement. It's happened to me several times.

Marria
12-08-2008, 01:55 AM
Like many others here, I like the organizational tools the best. Being able to keep track of my stash and queueing projects I'd like to make actually helps me to figure out how best to use my stash yarn. The huge number of patterns available are awesome too, and the best thing about that is that for a lot of patterns, I get to see what it looks like on models of all shapes and sizes, not just the perfect skinny model in Interweave Knits that I will never be the same size as. It's also fun to see the modifications and color changes that people make when they knit a pattern. I find it very inspirational.

I also just enjoy looking at the FOs page. I just really get a kick out of looking at other people's work.

The only bad thing for me about Ravelry is that I get sucked into it and then I lose knitting time!

Knitting_Guy
12-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Like most others I used the notebook to keep track of projects and such, and it is a good place to search for patterns to get ideas.

The forums and such, not so much.

evona
12-08-2008, 08:57 PM
I use Ravelry to search patterns. When I see a pattern I like I look to see if its on Ravelry and add it to my queue so I won't forget about it later. I also like to look at other people's projects to see what type of yarn or needles they use for a particular project, or if they have any tips about the project or yarn before I CO. I also started actually storing my projects there too so I can look back and see how I did them.

ArtLady1981
12-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Hi Cheley!

Last year I started a thread called: Reluctant Ravelers, Join Me! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65674)

I started it because so many of us had been 'accepted'...yet we were overwhelmed with all the software, bells and whistles that we hadn't done a thing with it! It is too fabulous to let lay!

You might like to take a peek at that thread! It will help you wade into the pool, get knee deep, then hip deep, then chest deep, and then the big plunge!

Little by little, that's my motto! :thumbsup:

knitgal
12-09-2008, 11:59 AM
I really like Ravelry and I think we're extremely lucky to have it. It is very different from KH, but they are not exactly for the same purpose, so I don't think it's necessary to have all this animosity towards Ravelry.

KH is amazing for new knitters. It has incredible videos and a very friendly, accessible forum that provides help and support to it's members. I have made some good friends here and I've become involved in charity knitting.

Ravelry is an incredible resource. You can look up "socks" and find 7,301 patterns (as of today) and there are more added everyday. You can look up "Cascade 220" and find 22,696 projects that it has been used for. Those features alone make it an amazing site. I love being able to track my progress on certain projects. I always have a few things on the go and it's nice to be able to show them off in my notebook and update it as I go. I've also joined some groups that match my interests and I've met a lot of nice people and found out new things.

I don't think there's unwarranted "hype" about Ravelry. It's an exciting place. I can see how it would be a little intimidating, but I also think that it's a great advancement for knitters. I wouldn't have found a quarter of the patterns in my favourites if it wasn't for Ravelry. I wouldn't have found out about the opening of a new yarn store in my town. I wouldn't have found out about the incredible designers I've discovered.

So perhaps instead of seeing Ravelry as competition for KH, we should see it as a complimentary site that helps knitting gain popularity and helps those interested get excited by the vast resources that are out there.

cheley
12-09-2008, 01:16 PM
I really like Ravelry and I think we're extremely lucky to have it. It is very different from KH, but they are not exactly for the same purpose, so I don't think it's necessary to have all this animosity towards Ravelry.

KH is amazing for new knitters. It has incredible videos and a very friendly, accessible forum that provides help and support to it's members. I have made some good friends here and I've become involved in charity knitting.

Ravelry is an incredible resource. You can look up "socks" and find 7,301 patterns (as of today) and there are more added everyday. You can look up "Cascade 220" and find 22,696 projects that it has been used for. Those features alone make it an amazing site. I love being able to track my progress on certain projects. I always have a few things on the go and it's nice to be able to show them off in my notebook and update it as I go. I've also joined some groups that match my interests and I've met a lot of nice people and found out new things.

I don't think there's unwarranted "hype" about Ravelry. It's an exciting place. I can see how it would be a little intimidating, but I also think that it's a great advancement for knitters. I wouldn't have found a quarter of the patterns in my favourites if it wasn't for Ravelry. I wouldn't have found out about the opening of a new yarn store in my town. I wouldn't have found out about the incredible designers I've discovered.

So perhaps instead of seeing Ravelry as competition for KH, we should see it as a complimentary site that helps knitting gain popularity and helps those interested get excited by the vast resources that are out there. Thanks for you input..."hype" was used as an adjective..my first "glance" (my first glance at the site) without searching about. (I) my post was not meant too be taken as "intimidating" nor "competitive" to Rav and I didn't get that "feeling" from anyone's post here... I happen to like the way KH is set-up for my way of knitting..I do not have a "need" to chart my stash or patterns on a site (don't have time for that) but if you notice I do have Rav Button attatched now to my signature, so I probably will be glancing back and forth...:thumbsup:

knitgal
12-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks for you input..."hype" was used as an adjective..my first "glance" (my first glance at the site) without searching about. (I) my post was not meant too be taken as "intimidating" nor "competitive" to Rav and I didn't get that "feeling" from anyone's post here... I happen to like the way KH is set-up for my way of knitting..I do not have a "need" to chart my stash or patterns on a site (don't have time for that) but if you notice I do have Rav Button attatched now to my signature, so I probably will be glancing back and forth...:thumbsup:

I didn't really mean to just respond to you Cheley. It was more of a general comment in response to the many comments in the thread. :)

suzeeq
12-09-2008, 01:24 PM
KH is sorta like your LYS where you can stop in and ask questions and KAL. Ravelry is more like a convention where you can also ask questions and KAL, it's just on a larger scale and also has a huge database of yarns and patterns you can look through.

Plantgoddess+
12-09-2008, 10:31 PM
I don't go to Ravelry but about once a week. I find it invaluable in finding pattern ideas for stash yarns. I love being able to see people of varying sizes wearing a pattern. It gives me an idea of shaping that may be more flattering to my shape. The comments some knitters post on problems with pattern instructions or how they liked or disliked a certain yarn can also be helpful.

knitasha
12-09-2008, 10:42 PM

So perhaps instead of seeing Ravelry as competition for KH, we should see it as a complimentary site that helps knitting gain popularity and helps those interested get excited by the vast resources that are out there.

Ann -- I would have just clicked your "Agree" button (if there had been one).

suzeeq
12-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Yeah, we need an Agree button, I keep looking for one. Not a Disagree one though....

knitasha
12-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Yeah, we need an Agree button, I keep looking for one. Not a Disagree one though....

I wouldn't mind "Funny," "Love" or "OMG" either.

MMario
12-10-2008, 02:06 PM
whereas those (agree buttons, etc) are the things about Ravelry that I disklike the most.

suzeeq
12-10-2008, 02:15 PM
True, people get offended by those who've clicked the Disagree button when they've posted something that's a fact rather than an opinion. Which is why I say there should be no Disagree button, only an Agree.

knitasha
12-12-2008, 12:19 AM
whereas those (agree buttons, etc) are the things about Ravelry that I disklike the most.

One of the nicest things I've found on Ravelry is MMario's splendid gallery of lace designs. (Just clicked the "Love" button.)

Jan in CA
12-12-2008, 01:25 AM
I think even the agree button can be abused I don't like the idea that it's anonymous. I think if you agree with something just say so. :shrug:

Just my 2

kellyh57
12-12-2008, 01:41 AM
I love the buttons. Sometimes I don't want to waste everyone's time just to say, "Yep, I feel the same way" or "no, I don't agree with that." It's just easy to click a button. Of course, most of the forums I'm referring to are about TV shows. Someone says, "I love this storyline" and I do too, I'd rather just click "agree" than add another post with the same thing. Or, I click "disagree" and if someone else hasn't already pointed out why, I'll explain why. I use the forums that don't get controversial and aren't all that busy so maybe that's why.

suzeeq
12-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Sometimes I don't have anything more to add, or the time to type it out. So I do click agree. I think if a person disagrees, they should post why though, instead of just clicking the disagree button.

sakura-panda
12-12-2008, 11:56 AM
I only use the patterns -- I love that I can look up a pattern and see a variety of things made using it in all sorts or yarns. I love that I can put in a yarn and look up projects that have used it. I have lots of *potential* projects saved as favorites. :)

I haven't put much in my notebook yet -- I'm hoping to, so that I can maybe help people the way I have been helped.

MMario
12-12-2008, 11:59 AM
One of the nicest things I've found on Ravelry is MMario's splendid gallery of lace designs. )

Awww, gorsh! What a nice thing to say! (And it explains why the numbers went up for yesterdays downloads!)

MMario

knitasha
12-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Awww, gorsh! What a nice thing to say! (And it explains why the numbers went up for yesterdays downloads!)

MMario

Ooh, what a feeling of power! But your work is magnificent.

auntietracy
12-13-2008, 11:57 PM
To each their own, I suppose .. I find that the forums are one of my favorite parts of the whole Ravelry site .. but I do find that the project page is invaluable. I wish I would have had something like that when I first started!

MoniDew
12-18-2008, 06:20 PM
I've always been FLABERGASTED, jaw-droppingly so, that the mods and admins of this site would tolerate/allow so much conversation about a TOTALLY UNRELATED SITE!

If it were me, I'd be: you wanna talk about that site, go do it there! This is my site!

But they don't. That's being incredibly gracious if you ask me. Far more than I would ever be! I can't believe their patience!

I think they deserve an enormous round of applause for their tolerance and good graces.

:cheering: :yay: :cheering::yay: :cheering: :yay: :cheering: :yay: :cheering: :yay: :cheering: :yay: :cheering:
________
Ducati Mach 3 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Ducati_Mach_3)

ArtLady1981
12-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Huh? :??

Regarding Mods and Admins 'moderating' policies: we allow anyone and everyone to talk about whatever they all enjoy as long as the conversations don't attack or belittle.

We encourage folks to shy away from launching political and religious threads because these two subjects are emotionally charged and are so personal. Plus, there are many many political and religious forums designed specifically for these two hot topics.

Other than that, I enjoy reading quite a few threads that have nothing whatsoever to do with knitting. I might not post in them, but I keep up with them!

Thanks for adding your input! :hug:

Jan in CA
12-18-2008, 07:37 PM
KH and Ravelry are not in competition so it's no big deal. We have lost some members to Rav, but that's the way it goes. There are plenty of people who prefer a more personal, closer knit (no pun intended :teehee:) environment and that's what we can offer. :thumbsup:

auburnchick
12-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Ok y'all...

Just a thanks for keeping this going. I just now read this thread...maybe out of boredom...maybe out of curiosity as to why it's so interesting.

Anyhoo, while reading the responses, I didn't know that you could keep track of your needles!

:doh:

What a timesaver this would have been many times over!!!

:wall:

Thanks for posting this information!!!!

:muah:

Now, I have to say that I love both KH and Ravelry. I have picked about three or four forums on Ravelry that I am involved with. They are very nice ones...nice people, etc. I'm being careful not to overwhelm myself too much because I do have a family and actually want to have some FO's now and again.

:rofl:

Anyhow, thanks again for the great tips all!

:hug:

suzeeq
12-18-2008, 11:30 PM
I've always been FLABERGASTED, jaw-droppingly so, that the mods and admins of this site would tolerate/allow so much conversation about a TOTALLY UNRELATED SITE!

Why? We're there too. Spend more time here, of course, and I also pop in at a couple other forums whose posts have diminished drastically in the last 6 months. We're still going strong and I always highly recommend the videos here for knitters who just aren't `getting' one technique or another.

suzeeq
12-18-2008, 11:50 PM
a more personal, closer knit (no pun intended :teehee:)

Yes you did!

Jan in CA
12-19-2008, 01:03 AM
Yes you did!

:roflhard: