PDA

View Full Version : Have to Make Cookies Today - Recipes?

sgtpam
12-13-2008, 12:54 PM
I do NOT really like to bake; but, I found myself wanting to do something at work to get some people together and started a Christmas cookie exchange a few years ago. I know, I know...what was I thinking! But, I really hate that we don't do much of this kind of stuff together at work. There's over 100 of us in the building (I work for the Air Force Reserve), and you have to start somewhere. :grphug:

We started the first year with only about 5 or 6 of us 3 years ago and this year we have 12. I tried to keep it small because I wanted to limit the number of cookies everone makes to no more than 10 dozen. So, this year, each package is 10 cookies each.:thud:

Now, the exchange is on Monday and I am SO NOT IN THE MOOD to bake 10 dozen cookies. I have lots of recipes (how much do you love the net, kraftfoods.com is one of my favorite), but none quick and easy enough for today. And they sort of expect interesting recipes from me. :wall:

Sooooooooo.....anybody have the easiest recipe ever? :psst:

cheley
12-13-2008, 01:04 PM
I do NOT really like to bake; but, I found myself wanting to do something at work to get some people together and started a Christmas cookie exchange a few years ago. I know, I know...what was I thinking! But, I really hate that we don't do much of this kind of stuff together at work. There's over 100 of us in the building (I work for the Air Force Reserve), and you have to start somewhere. :grphug:

We started the first year with only about 5 or 6 of us 3 years ago and this year we have 12. I tried to keep it small because I wanted to limit the number of cookies everone makes to no more than 10 dozen. So, this year, each package is 10 cookies each.:thud:

Now, the exchange is on Monday and I am SO NOT IN THE MOOD to bake 10 dozen cookies. I have lots of recipes (how much do you love the net, kraftfoods.com is one of my favorite), but none quick and easy enough for today. And they sort of expect interesting recipes from me. :wall:

Sooooooooo.....anybody have the easiest recipe ever? :psst: Only cookies??? I have to make Cabbage and Noodles...I make every Saturday for my niece's school (umm Catholic) actually Bingo!!!!! :heart:

Jan in CA
12-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Only cookies??? I have to make Cabbage and Noodles...I make every Saturday for my niece's school (umm Catholic) actually Bingo!!!!! :heart:

Generally cabbage and noodles would not be a big hit at a cookie exchange, but who knows. :teehee:

I'm assuming you don't want fancy cut out cookies so maybe just something like snickerdoodles?
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/snickerdoodles-recipe/index.html

Or good old fashioned oatmeal cookes..maybe with chocolate chips!
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/wayne-harley-brachman/chocolate-chip-oatmeal-cookies-recipe/index.html

Marria
12-13-2008, 03:07 PM
I like this sugar cookie recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sugar-Cookies/Detail.aspx

Knitting_Guy
12-13-2008, 03:13 PM
I like No Bake cookies.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/No-Bake-Cookies-I/Detail.aspx

sgtpam
12-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Only cookies??? I have to make Cabbage and Noodles...I make every Saturday for my niece's school (umm Catholic) actually Bingo!!!!! :heart:

Acutally, the group decided they also wanted to do a mini-potluck lunch and I told them I'd bring Gumbo...so, I have to do that, too. At least I only have to throw everything in a crockpot for that!;)

sgtpam
12-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Generally cabbage and noodles would not be a big hit at a cookie exchange, but who knows. :teehee:

I'm assuming you don't want fancy cut out cookies so maybe just something like snickerdoodles?
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/snickerdoodles-recipe/index.html

Or good old fashioned oatmeal cookes..maybe with chocolate chips!
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/wayne-harley-brachman/chocolate-chip-oatmeal-cookies-recipe/index.html

:roflhard:

You'd be right! easier the better. After wearing combat boots all week, I don't do a lot of things that require standing for any length of time on my days off!:wink:

Jan in CA
12-13-2008, 05:32 PM
After wearing combat boots all week,

Combat boots? :??

ETA: I just got it...you're in the Air Force. I thought the sgt was just initials.

cftwo
12-13-2008, 06:20 PM
Bar cookies are the way to go - just dump the ingredients in the pan, shove it in the oven, and no waiting around switching trays in and out of the oven.

Brownies
Blondies/Brown sugar bars
oatmeal carmelitas http://www.pillsbury.com/Recipes/ShowRecipe.aspx?rid=10082
shortbread cookies (add mini chocolate chips if you want - or add grated orange peel and mini chocolate chips)
or these things, which taste just like PB cups: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Peanut-Butter-Bars-I/Detail.aspx
Take your standard off-the-oatmeal-box recipe for oatmeal cookies and press it into a 9x13 pan - the time for cooking them this way is on the box.
You can also do this with chocolate chip cookies - again, the bag will have the baking time on it.

Pillsbury's Bake-Off recipes are great about 99% of the time. Search for "bar cookies" and you get about 7 pages of results. http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/recipelanding Some of them use refrigerated cookie dough and embellish from there. :)

Becky Morgan
12-13-2008, 10:16 PM
This year's new recipes, both starting with cake mix. If you don't want to drop them individually or put them in tose little muffin pans, just dump them in a jelly roll pan and cut them when you feel like it. I got six dozen teeny muffins from each. If you make them in jelly roll pans, they'll be faster and will still make about six dozen.
Pumpkin Spice Cookies
1 box spice cake mix
1 small can pumpkin
1 package Jello Pumpkin Spice instant pudding, not made up, just dry OR a package of vanilla pudding and enough cinnamon and ginger to smell good
2 eggs
3/4 cup of water or so
Mix. Dump in pan, or drop like cookies, or whatever. When they spring back when you toch them, they're done. Frost with cream cheese icing when they're cool.

Cherry Cream Cheese Cookies (or bars or cupcakes or muffins or whatever you think they should be)
1 box yellow cake mix
8 oz. cream cheese
2 eggs
3/4 cup water
Mix. Dump in pan/pans. Now take
One can cherry pie filling (I used lite) and poke a cherry into each cookie or tiny muffin, or a spoonful for each big cupcake, or just dot them all over the dough if you use a jelly roll pan.
Bake until they spring back when touched.

Oh, hey, this works too. I love Seven-Layer Bars, bnut the graham cracker and grease crust always falls apart on me, so try this...
Make one box or favorite recipe of fudge brownie and spread thinkly in jelly roll pan. Put in 350-degree oven foer a few minutes while you swear violently as you try to open:
one package semisweet chips
one package butterscotch chips
one 7-oz. package coconut (or half of a bigger one, or hey, the whole thing if you're into coconut)
if you like nuts, 1 cup of whatever kind you like
one can condensed (NOT evaporated, but condensed, the really sweet sticky stuff) milk
When the brownies start to look as if they're developing a bit of crust, but long before they're done, whip them out of the oven. Scatter the chips, nuts and coconut more or less evenly over them. Drizzle the condensed milk over everything to glue it together. Stick it back in the oven until coconut begins to brown and brownies are no longer unduly gooey.

Puddinpop
12-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Those sure sound delicious.:inlove:

sgtpam
12-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Thanks everybody...I ended up making gingersnaps. I remembered that we had some on Thanksgiving that were really yummy; my sister had told me that her recipe was really easy, so I had her send it to me; and, it was as easy as she said. :cheering:

They're really good, and the pepper gives them that little extra "bite". ;)

I've got about 7 dozen done...so, one more batch. I'll have to squeeze it in after church tomorrow, 'cause I've earned a break and I've got some Christmas knitting to work on.:woohoo:

Thanks again for all the great ideas...I'm keeping them in my recipe "file" for next time I open my big mouth and volunteer cookies! :teehee:

Jaxhil
12-14-2008, 06:28 PM
ooh! Those sound good-do you think these would be good for kids? Is the pepper really spicy/noticeable?

Thanks for sharing! I just made some really good cookies last week using the basic Toll House cookie recipe, and substituted white chocolate chips, for the ch.chips, almond extract for the vanilla extract, and toasted slivered almonds for the nuts.

YUUMMM!

sgtpam
12-14-2008, 08:34 PM
You could put less pepper in; also, if the pepper is ground fine, it would have less "bite". My family really likes the bite and so I added a little extra pepper and used a courser grind.

They were super easy (have to be for me) and, if you want the kids to help, they love rolling the balls in the sugar.

I doubled the batch and ended up with just over 10 dozen (11 doz if you count the batch I forgot the timer on)...so, I didn't have to bake more today! And I like them a little dark, so I get some too!

Jaxhil
12-16-2008, 08:33 AM
Thanks! I'll give them a try :)

Crycket
12-16-2008, 09:45 AM
I am working Spice Mice today....

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/spice_mice.php

sgtpam
12-16-2008, 10:16 AM
I am working Spice Mice today....

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/spice_mice.php

Those are fun...but, way to much work for my lazy...........baking style :teehee:

I had a friend at my last base who did some like that every year for our cookie exchange. She used half peanuts for the ears and thin licorice vines for the tail.

My cookie exchange lunch was a big success. My gumbo came out great (even one of our commanders, who's from New Orleans area LOVED it!!) and there was none left!:cheering:

.........and, I came home with 10 dozen cookies in a wide variety of flavors; so, my neighbors and friends get cookies and I'm done with my Christmas baking!:woot:

Now........if I could just finish my Christmas knitting. That's much more fun!:knitting:

Thanks for all the great recipes and links!

Woodi
12-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Those spice mice sound really cute. I bet you get compliments galore for them. I applaud you for the intense effort. I'd love to make them too, but just too lazy.

jdee
12-20-2008, 11:07 AM
I just saw this thread, and I know I'm too late to help you with this years cookie dilemma, but if you ever need a quick recipe in the future, I've found the perfect solution. This recipe is from www.cdkitchen.com (http://www.cdkitchen.com)
1 box cake mix (any flavor)
1/3 c veggie oil
2 eggs
You just turn your oven on to 375 degrees F. Combine all ingredients, then roll cookie dough into 1" balls, and place them on ungreased cookie sheet (I line my cookie sheet with parchment paper, so they wont stick), then, dip the bottom of a glass in flour, and flatten each dough ball til is 1/4" thick. (I just used my fingers for this step, and I worked fine). Bake for 6-8 minutes.

They turned out so well. I used the funfetti cake mix, since it's Christmas, and iced them with the green icing, then topped them with sprinkles. You can use any flavor cake mix, and icing, or you can add nuts, chocolate chips, or candies. The possibilities are endless.

My Dad's been in the hospital this week, adn my sisters and I have been taking turns staying with him. I'm expecting my out of town family today for a fun little Christmas party, and I didn't have much time, so finding this recipe saved me.

HollyP
12-22-2008, 01:15 AM
Jdee, your cookies look just like the frosted cookies my brother loves so much from the grocery store. I will definitely have to try them this year. Thanks for sharing the recipe

Sajomaro
12-22-2008, 06:14 AM
Thanks everybody...I ended up making gingersnaps. I remembered that we had some on Thanksgiving that were really yummy; my sister had told me that her recipe was really easy, so I had her send it to me; and, it was as easy as she said. :cheering:

They're really good, and the pepper gives them that little extra "bite". ;)

Those do look easy and good. I just have one question. How much is a stick of butter? In Canada, at least where I live, they sell butter/margarine in blocks that are 1/2 Cup each. Are the sticks about the same size?

Thanks!

sgtpam
12-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Those do look easy and good. I just have one question. How much is a stick of butter? In Canada, at least where I live, they sell butter/margarine in blocks that are 1/2 Cup each. Are the sticks about the same size?

Thanks!

Yes, a stick is 1/2 cup. Hope you like them. I just finished the last few that I had kept for myself.........Yum!

jdee
12-22-2008, 11:23 PM
You're very welcome. They were a big hit at the party, and you'll have so much fun making them.

Jeremy
12-24-2008, 12:18 PM
BTW I tried the recipe that called for adding 1/3 cup of oil and two eggs to cake mix. I chose Duncan Hines vanilla butter cake and tossed in some chocolate chips. The cookies not only came out great they tasted exactly like Toll House cookies. The whole deal took about ten minutes from package to cookie sheet.