PDA

View Full Version : This makes me insane!!!!

zkimom
12-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Ok, so I was shopping in Brookstone today at the mall and I bought a wine opener for my Dad for Christmas. As I was paying for the opener, the clerk asked me if I wanted to pay $5 extra for a "protection plan" for my opener.

:whoosh:

No thank you. But for the price I'm paying I just want you to sell me something that works and won't fall apart.

What is this world coming too?

sgtpam
12-16-2008, 08:39 PM
:roflhard: For a WINE OPENER???? Good Goly Molly!!!!!:noway:

Bad enough they ask on a high $$ item........how did she say it with a straight face.:???:

Buying a box of paper.....would you like to buy our convenient insurance policy with that?....just in case if flies away? :roflhard:

evona
12-16-2008, 08:54 PM
Oh Geez Louise!!! What is the world coming to indeed! :roflhard:

iza
12-16-2008, 09:14 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: I can't believe this! Was he really serious???

bailsmom
12-16-2008, 10:07 PM
:roflhard: I'm sorry but I would have laughed in his face! :roflhard: Thanks for the laugh!!

knitasha
12-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Poor guy was probably trained to push an extended warranty for everything as a way of making add-on sales. If he hadn't asked you he probably would have been reprimanded. But it was still a pretty stupid question.

JustAFloridaGirl
12-17-2008, 12:36 AM
Ugh, seriously.

My husband works retail, usually in an electronics department, and is ALWAYS being pushed in daily meetings to push the "protection plans." Most of the time it's a rip-off and the reason stores push them so hard is because it's pure profit...the stores know that for cheaper items, if it DOES break, the process of putting the protection plan to use is too much of a hassle so you'll just go out and purchase a new item. For more expensive items, especially electronics, they should have a manufacturer's warranty of at least a year (and if you buy a relatively expensive electronic item that happens to have a defect, you'll usually have trouble within that year anyway.) The only time it might be a good idea to purchase a protection plan is on a high ticket item that STARTS covering the item when the manufacturer's warranty expires. And even that can be debatable given the circumstances of the price of the protection plan and the length of the manufacturer's warranty.

I urge you to contact Brookstone's customer service, whether by phone or by internet, and let them know you were displeased with this. Retail clerks hate having to try to push these "extras" (whether it's protection plans or loyalty cards) on customers just as much as customers hate having to listen to the clerk's spiel. Unfortunately, it's the suits in the corporate offices (who have stepped straight out of a business college classroom into the office without ever having experienced being in the clerk's position) who decide that offering all this crap to customers is "good business." If you've ever worked a day of retail you know that most customers want to get in, get out and get on with their day. The suits won't realize this because they don't listen to employee feedback...just the customer's feedback.

Crycket
12-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Ugh, seriously.

My husband works retail, usually in an electronics department, and is ALWAYS being pushed in daily meetings to push the "protection plans." Most of the time it's a rip-off and the reason stores push them so hard is because it's pure profit...the stores know that for cheaper items, if it DOES break, the process of putting the protection plan to use is too much of a hassle so you'll just go out and purchase a new item. For more expensive items, especially electronics, they should have a manufacturer's warranty of at least a year (and if you buy a relatively expensive electronic item that happens to have a defect, you'll usually have trouble within that year anyway.) The only time it might be a good idea to purchase a protection plan is on a high ticket item that STARTS covering the item when the manufacturer's warranty expires. And even that can be debatable given the circumstances of the price of the protection plan and the length of the manufacturer's warranty.

There used to be this EXCELLENT show on called Street Cents...and it was a CBC (Canadian station) production basically putting viewers queries to the test. It was aimed at teens, mainly concerned with products they used and the marketing surrounding them...but it did touch on the extended warranty thing...and basically...after the investigation (mainly talking to former employees...but also by actually testing out the plan and buying something then finding different problems for it, to see what the sales team would do for them) the consensus was NOT to buy it.

Exactly as JustAFloridaGirl says...you have to have very specific circumstances to have it work out for you...

If I remember correctly, SC had someone buy a CD player...with the warrenty and brought it in after "dropping" it....they wouldn't replace it cause it wasn't a flaw with the product....

knitgal
12-17-2008, 10:48 PM
I had a similar situation recently while buying my brother earphones for Christmas. They were $30. Of course I wasn't going to buy the plan.
On the other hand, I did buy the protection plan for my cell phone charger and I have used it twice already. I paid $5 and anytime anything happens to my cell charger they will replace it. Well, most people don't have much happen to their cell chargers, but my cat has a thing for cords and she has chewed through the cord a few times and they have just given me a new one. Clearly it's not a defect in the product and MY cat is chewing through the cord, but they still replace it. So a charger that costs $40 and that I would have had to replace several times now only cost me $5 extra the first time.
I think the point is that you should ask what it entails and consider if you might need it. If it only covers defects in the product, well you might not want it, but if it covers you if your 5 year old drops it in the toilet, then maybe you should get it.

Also, please don't blame the associate for asking if you want coverage or anything like that. They have to. They don't really care if you say no, they just have to ask.