PDA

View Full Version : OMG!!!!!!

cheley
12-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Just saw this
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/18th_baby :zombie: :chair:

Jan in CA
12-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Did you ever watch the show? It's rather amazing that they have such control over that size family. The kids are well behaved and all chip in to do their share. I certainly couldn't do it that's for sure!

Wanda Witch
12-19-2008, 01:22 PM
:passedout:

auburnchick
12-19-2008, 01:46 PM
I saw the on the Today Show a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say that their philosophy on child rearing is one I totally agree with. These are very grounded people. It's very impressive.

Tropicflower24
12-19-2008, 01:58 PM
My mom has talked with her in the past, and our convictions our the same.
My family is large for today's standards.... there are 7 of us kids. But with the exception of a few things we are a lot like the Duggars. =)

cindycactus
12-19-2008, 05:53 PM
This size family was not too unusual years ago. My mother was one of 16 children. But my grandfather lost his first wife (my mother's mother) after 7 children and then remarried and had 9 more. This was the early part to middle part of the 1900s. Of all these children several had 13 each. I have one first cousin who had 15 including 2 sets of twins. I am one of 102 grandchildren. We are a big Catholic family. I am a slacker. I only had 2.

evona
12-19-2008, 06:29 PM
My father was the 8th of 9 children in his family and he was born in 1931. My oldest Aunt, who was already 18 when my dad was born, had 16 children and I have another aunt who had 13. I'm an only child though and my dad waited until he was 41 to even think about having a family. Guess all those babies he grew up around were enough for a while. :roflhard:

Crycket
12-19-2008, 06:46 PM
And I can`t even fathom 1!

Jan in CA
12-19-2008, 08:27 PM
My father was the 8th of 9 children in his family and he was born in 1931. My oldest Aunt, who was already 18 when my dad was born, had 16 children and I have another aunt who had 13. I'm an only child though and my dad waited until he was 41 to even think about having a family. Guess all those babies he grew up around were enough for a while. :roflhard:

:zombie: Wow...that's a lot of kids!

KnitClickChick
12-19-2008, 11:39 PM
I've seen the show a couple of times. I think it is nice to see a family [of any size] that has respect for each other and all pitch in to do their part. I can't imagine having that many siblings, I only have one brother and sister. My mom was one of 7. She is the one who had the most children - the rest who could have children, only had 2. It must be a comfort to know though that you will never be alone, there will always be someone there when you are in need. But wow, I don't think I could do that!

lelvsdgs
12-19-2008, 11:49 PM
I agree... :passedout: :eyes: But more power to them...

sabrinasmom
12-20-2008, 12:21 AM
They have 18 and do fine. Some have two and have to call in 'THE NANNY' in order to get their family under control!!!

lelvsdgs
12-20-2008, 01:38 AM
They have 18 and do fine. Some have two and have to call in 'THE NANNY' in order to get their family under control!!! Boy ain't that the truth... topsy turvey world we live in...:??

cindycactus
12-20-2008, 02:35 PM
They have 18 and do fine. Some have two and have to call in 'THE NANNY' in order to get their family under control!!!
I often wondered about that. It seems the more children in the family the better behaved they are.

Tropicflower24
12-20-2008, 10:35 PM
I am baised obviously.... but I think that is true, Cindycactus.
I think a lot of it is that when there are that many people, it means more work. And more work means more jobs.... and if you really want to keep things working smoothly, you start functioning as many individules in one team, with one goal..... You become closer that way. =) And the closer you are with your family, the more you respect and love them.
And for me at least, loving, respect and being friends as well as a daughter with my parents, I strive to obey them and to help my parents and siblings. I know that is the same way for many large families. =)

And just for the record.... I am in my late to mid teens right now. I spent a majority of my childhood being the one of 2 children. My family didn't start growing again untill I was 9, and I was 11 before it grew again. And since then it's grown a bit more. :teehee: I have become closer to my family since we've grown so much. :D

Simply_Renee
12-21-2008, 08:57 PM
I think they're a great family and do a good job. One of my friends has 7 and is raising them in a very similar way.

Is it bad to wish TropicFlower was my daughter??? Hopefully my little chore shirking eye-roller will adopt a positive philosophy like that soon!

Ronda
12-21-2008, 09:08 PM

You're so right! I never thought of that.

My first thought when I read that she had a C-section is I wondered how many times she's actually *had* an incision - and then I cringed just thinking of the pain!

Marria
12-25-2008, 01:52 PM
I am baised obviously.... but I think that is true, Cindycactus.

And just for the record.... I am in my late to mid teens right now. I spent a majority of my childhood being the one of 2 children. My family didn't start growing again untill I was 9, and I was 11 before it grew again. And since then it's grown a bit more. :teehee: I have become closer to my family since we've grown so much. :D

Wow Tropic--I would have pegged you for older from your maturity. Your parents are lucky to have you. :)

GinnyG
12-25-2008, 04:48 PM
I seem to be in the minority so will keep my response brief but I think 18 children is the ultimate in irresponsibility. I don't care how well you are "raising" them. Because "raising" them is pretty much what you are doing, like a herd of cattle. I have seem this show and I am not at all impressed.

Yes, they are well behaved children and the home is orderly and they certainly do live by an ascribed set of beliefs but it might be interesting to speak with those children 20 or 30 years from now and get their perspective.

Cynamar
12-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Think they'll figure out what's causing it?

Knitting_Guy
12-26-2008, 09:29 PM
My father was one of 18 kids so it doesn't seem strange to me.

feministmama
12-28-2008, 02:40 AM
All I can think of is OUCH!!!!

Debkcs
12-28-2008, 06:24 AM
Ginny, one of my best friends is one of sixteen. Her parents are the sweetest people, and her brothers and sisters are all happy, productive, adults. Not one of them in jail, and when something happens to one of them, the rest pitch in to help them out. They 'adopted' me, I come from a family of two that couldn't pull it together to raise us right.

I've always admired large families.

Wow Tropic--I would have pegged you for older from your maturity. Your parents are lucky to have y

Too true, and she writes well, also.

GinnyG
12-28-2008, 11:13 AM
I did not mean to imply that they would not be good people or would not become happy productive adults. But it is simply not possible to give 18 children the individual love and attention and one on one time that a child needs and deserves. I have no doubt they are good people.

But, as they have made a point of on the show, the younger children are often cared for by the older children. That may teach the children responsibility but it also shifts the parenting burden from parent to child. I am not against large families, but 18 children is "institutional" size and I do not believe anyone would argue that an institution is an appropriate way to raise a child.

As a twin and member of a large family (with loving capable parents) who in turn had only two children I know that I was able to give my children individually more of myself than my parents were ever able to give me.

"Back in the day" there were many reasons for excessively large families; religious beliefs, lack of appropriate birth control, lack of education, the fact that many children died early in life, and our agricultural society supported the need for large "families" to work the farm. Those reasons no longer apply and although I am sure there are many from large families who are perfectly well adjusted my opinion is that it is socially irresponsible and not in the best interest of the children.

Mokumegane
01-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Is that about the 18 kids and counting show on tlc? If so, it's 19 kids and counting :p Yeah, they have great control on the kids and they're all very grounded and good people. I've seen a few of the shows and they actually live near me. I saw the show where they try to knit up stuff for the newborn and totally screw up rofl! I wanted to reach out and help them but they're impossible to get a hold of... I think due to their popularity from the show. The best I ever got was a reply that seemed like it was written just to reply to people, so they're not rude, you know. I think I drive past the car dealership every day that I go to Walmart or Ozark Natural Foods for groceries.

Also, I worked with a guy who had 18 siblings when he grew up. He said they did cloth diapers because plastic was way too expensive. They also had to clean all their own diapers... eww! In that situation, I'd do the same, though...

Jan in CA
01-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Moku..this post is about 3 yrs old. How'd you dig up such an old post? :??

HSRCampbell
01-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Probably a search. The searches on here default to every thread ever, which goes back like 6 years apparently. Thread necromancy is easy to do when you see someone posted something interesting and don't see the date. I have to be really careful not to reply to threads that are years old.

Mokumegane
01-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Lol, no, it was at the top, I swear! I haven't even done a search on here yet, so I don't know how to do that yet...

kellyh57
01-08-2011, 03:29 PM
I could swear I saw another post before Moku's. It didn't make much sense so it would've likely been deleted. I commend the family for keeping sanity in all that noise! I go nuts with only three kids sometimes, I can't fathom the noise of 16 more!

I think there's a way in the forum to have the oldest posts at the top instead of the newest, but that still wouldn't bring up this one.

Jan in CA
01-08-2011, 03:34 PM
:?? Maybe some spam brought it to the top and when it was deleted it stayed there...although I've never noticed that happening. Weird. :teehee:

Arielluria
01-08-2011, 05:09 PM
I've only seen a few minutes of this show ever, and was impressed by their parenting skills. I realize families this size were not unusual years ago, especially in agrarian societies, but I just have to wonder about how much individual attention these kids get.

Debkcs
01-10-2011, 06:29 AM
One of my closest friends growing up had ten sibs. Not one of them ever felt they didn't get the attention they needed; and they've all grown up to be responsible, healthy, productive people. The only reason there wasn't a 12th child was that they didn't have room for any more beds in their six bedroom house.

I really envy women who can have more than one child, we wanted more than one.