PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when..........

dairywife
12-19-2008, 12:12 PM
How do you know when to move on to a more complicated pattern or project?

I have been knitting again for about 3 months. I have made a scarf for DH, about half a dozen dishcloths in many interesting patterns, 30 candy cane cozy's and about half way finished with an afghan.

I have been looking at all the wonderful patterns of fingerless gloves and patterns for so very cute bags/purses. Some are cable, worked in round, multiple colors and/or designs. I have done nothing like these before. I have never knitted from a chart.

I am a 20+ year experienced crocheter. I have found that once I look up the knitting abreviations and understand the instruction it seems I have little or no trouble. But I have chosen to simply drool over the projects that really interest me. So, again I ask....How do you know when to move on to a more complicated pattern or project?

of troy
12-19-2008, 12:26 PM
you'll move on when you are ready.

you'll find a pattern that speaks to you, or yarn, or both..

you'll do fair isle or lace or something..

every one will OH, and AH, and you'll be pleased as punch.

or you won't! you'll be happy as clam making simple hats and scarves, and mittens on 2 needles and won't ever do anything more but admire all the other knitting.

it won't matter a bit!

MMario
12-19-2008, 12:29 PM
I'll second that. You'll move on when you are ready - or when the "right" project appears. It's really not a skill level thing - it's a desire thing.

Jan in CA
12-19-2008, 12:29 PM
You have the skills now to make more things. What is it you're dreaming of making? I made my first simple sweater when I'd been knitting for 3 mos. :thumbsup:

busyknitmom
12-19-2008, 12:31 PM
I've only been knitting a couple of months, but got a little bored with the scarf and dishcloth thing. So I did a cable afghan which turned out wonderfully. I am starting a sock now! A Sock! So exciting - although no one but a knitter would find it so. It sounds like you are ready. I am going with the theory of one new skill per project. For the socks it is knitting on dpns, and so far so good. For the afghan it was learning to cable. I wouldn't just jump into a pattern that has 12 stitches you don't know, complicated cables, a long, complex chart and 15 different color changes, but something with one thing you are interested in learning and using a pattern you like.

Lucy78green
12-19-2008, 12:36 PM
I think the best way to learn something is by doing it. I don't worry about my skill level, if I like it I try it anyway. Baby clothes are a good way to learn the basics of making garments without taking as long as a full adult size jumper/sweater and babies aren't as critical of your mistakes!

Abbily
12-19-2008, 12:43 PM
I don't think there's a "when"- you just move on to the next project you're interested in! Don't tell yourself it might be too hard, just jump in. If you need help, there's always someone here that can help you. :)

suzeeq
12-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Sounds like you might be ready now. Don't worry about there being something in a pattern that you haven't done before, you have to do it the first time somehow. Just pick a pattern you'd like to try and go for it!

GrandmaLori
12-19-2008, 12:54 PM
I think the best way to learn something is by doing it. I don't worry about my skill level, if I like it I try it anyway. Baby clothes are a good way to learn the basics of making garments without taking as long as a full adult size jumper/sweater and babies aren't as critical of your mistakes!
I agree with this - baby items, even barbie clothes use many of the same techniques, but don't take as much time to finish. You get to try things and see how they work, then move on to full size things already knowing what to expect.

dairywife
12-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Ok, I taking a leap....I have picked my next project from the cover of Last Minute Knitted Gifts. I ordered the yarn (found it on sale) and the dpns to make the I-cord. There are a couple of new things to learn with this project and I am very excited. I will share my progress as I go. Now, I need to have a little patience while waiting for the yarn.

I am not much for sitting on the sidelines, I figured I would just start marking the ahhhh things right off the list.

Lieuvena
12-19-2008, 01:33 PM
I've been knitting for about 6 months and have already started moving on. Honestly I was bored with dishclothes after about the first month! What I did was look for dishcloth patterns that used new techniques so that it would stay interesting and I would be learning new things on a smaller scale to keep it from being too overwhelming. It also helped me keep the cost down while I'm still learning. I like this http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/afghans/sampler.htm it has a lot of sampler squares you can learn from. I'm not making the blanket, but I like the squares to learn from.

I also like to try and jump right in and learn as I go. I've learned that you can learn a lot by messing things up a few times!

luvmykid28
12-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Sounds like you might be ready now. Don't worry about there being something in a pattern that you haven't done before, you have to do it the first time somehow. Just pick a pattern you'd like to try and go for it!

I agree. You just pick something and try it. I've only been knitting since July and I became bored with scarves and simple dishcloths real fast so I found a simple hat and learn how to work with circs and DPNs. then I moved onto the next thing. Easy peasy go for it.:thumbsup:

Abbily
12-19-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm only just now doing my first scarf- and it's lace. I started out knitting interesting things because I knew if I started with scarves and dishclothes, I wouldn't stick with it. If you can knit and purl, you can do it all with a little help from KH. :)

reeny
12-19-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm like Abbily, I get bored really quickly. I knit a few dishcloths in the beginning, but they each used a different skill, like increasing, or cables, or a unique stitch pattern. Then I went to a tank top, which bored me because it was mostly stockinette, and the purling killed me, so I frogged it decided to learn to knit in the round. I learned how to modify the pattern for better fit, and those modifications required me to learn short rows, next I moved on to flip top mittens and I learned all about thumb gussets, and double pointed needles. The first mitten I did a forward thumb, the second was with a side thumb, and the third I learned how to magic loop. I think, for me, I need learn a new technique with each project or I lose interest. I try not to look at ability level when I choose a project, I just go by what the finished project looks like, and what looks like a fun challenge.

However, i am going to make my first scarf really soon, and I don't have any new technique for this one, but I will be using fibers that i never used before. We will see if I stick to it.

RuthieinMaryland
12-19-2008, 06:28 PM
As soon as you find yourself asking the question "How do you know when to move on to a more complicated pattern or project?" :)

Hi, Vickie! :waving:

I think you might be there, Sweetie!

The only thing I'd suggest is that you find a pattern for something you absolutely LOVE, regardless of any question of difficulty or complexity. If you love it, you'll learn.

My first large knitted project was an afghan. It was for my god-son's soon-to-be-born first baby. When my god-son, Alex, was born I made him a crocheted blanket and sewed a little christening suit out of a material that had a beautiful sparkly thread in it. His mom preserved the suit and blanket so that the new guy, A.J., could wear it for his christening.

But I wanted to make A.J. his very own blanket. I saw an afghan pattern I loved and found a yarn with a little sparkly thread in it - Lion Brand Wool-Ease Multi in white. I'd never knitted anything so complex before but that pattern and that yarn were PERFECT!

OK, so I agonized a bit (a lot!) until I got familiar with the pattern. And yes there was a lot of frogging involved. So it's not perfect, even with all that, but that baby's parents consider they have an heirloom that will probably be around when A.J. has kids!!! After all, he wore his Dad's christening outfit that was lovingly preserved for 25 years.

So despite the difficulty, I loved the pattern and yarn so much, and it was for such a special little one, that I just persevered and did it. And I learned so much from doing that project that it turned me into a knitting maniac!!! In a good way, of course!

So pick what you love and just go for it. You'll learn lots and have some serious fun!

Best of luck,

Ruthie :knitting:

Kinnexa
12-21-2008, 02:10 PM
I've been knitting garter-stitch scarves and simple hats, and having a lot of fun. I knit to relax and while I'm eating, watching TV, waiting at the mechanic's, and so on, so I prefer the simple 'mindless' projects and try to make them special with unusual yarn or design touches.

However...while I keep something simple on the needles, I've been wanting to start something more challenging. I've just started my first 'thinking' project: an admittedly simple drop-stitch ribbon scarf that requires I pay attention every fourth row. I'm also trying to learn the Magic Loop when I feel really ambitious (and to justify buying those 40" Addis). When I get frustrated I remind myself that I knit to be happy, and work on my trusty garter scarf to prove it. (I also try to remember how I wanted to scream and throw my skein of Red Heart in the woodstove when I was teaching myself to cast on!)

Go with your gut and please, don't berate yourself when things get ugly. Stroking a fluffy skein feels really good when you've been bashing your head against that brick wall! :wink:

patsuweb
12-25-2008, 12:07 PM
I've only been knitting a couple of months, but got a little bored with the scarf and dishcloth thing. So I did a cable afghan which turned out wonderfully. I am starting a sock now! A Sock! So exciting - although no one but a knitter would find it so. It sounds like you are ready. I am going with the theory of one new skill per project. For the socks it is knitting on dpns, and so far so good. For the afghan it was learning to cable. I wouldn't just jump into a pattern that has 12 stitches you don't know, complicated cables, a long, complex chart and 15 different color changes, but something with one thing you are interested in learning and using a pattern you like.
I agree with you, as I am fairly new to knitting and try new patterns that will let me learn one or two new techniques. Something small and simple is less frustrating, especially if you haven't used a new technique before...less tears when you have to tink back.

Marria
12-25-2008, 12:16 PM
I held off on making more complicated stuff for awhile because I ran into the mystical barrier of pattern difficulty ratings. I thought--oh, that's an advanced pattern--I can't do that! Baloney! I've done "intermediate" projects that I found more challenging than some "advanced" ones

If you're interested in a new technique, don't be afraid to try it. Ignore those pattern ratings.

What I recommend is reading the pattern carefully, and figuring out what techniques you are unfamiliar with. If you need to, make some swatches to practice them first. But keep in mind that it's OK if you mess up a bit. It's a process!

Happy knitting!