PDA

View Full Version : Which needles do you prefer?

Marria
12-26-2008, 10:20 PM
I've thought about trying Rosewood, but I never have. Have you tried them, and do you like them?

I generally prefer metal or bamboo, depending on what type of yarn I'm working with. I like metal for fuzzier yarns, and bamboo for slippery yarns. I've tried plastic needles, but didn't care for them much, but it might have been the brand.

cae3
12-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Bamboo, plastic, metal...etc?

Thanks.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
12-26-2008, 10:28 PM
I used to prefer the susan bates....

But now as I'm getting more comfortable in my knitting and not stressing over the "advanced" level of difficulty in patterns, I'm finding that I'm really enjoying the bamboo ones....

to the point I gave away all of my straight metal ones (kept my dpns and circs....)

suzeeq
12-26-2008, 10:37 PM
I like them all, though I generally prefer metal Boyes overall, and have a few bamboo needles I like. All circulars, can't stand knitting with straight ones.

sorifes
12-27-2008, 05:29 AM
I like the metal ones. The addi turbos are the best though :D I had one pair of bamboo's a while back.....yeah I broke em. I was knitting thick and quick on them and they are size 4. I was having a really hard time with it (hey man mittens in alaska need to be thick)

I have some plastic ones but they're okay. Out of all the metal one's I'm with lilhuskies, susan bates are my favs

TrikkeAddict
12-27-2008, 07:41 AM
Love my bamboo needles - dpn, circular and short straights. Like my options and harmony.

Susan

teachermom
12-27-2008, 09:46 AM
I mostly use bamboo... dpn's, circular, and straight. Occasionally, I'll use my Susan Bates, but I am slowly replacing those with bamboo.

I got a set of Rosewood DPN's size 0 for Christmas and can't wait to use them.

Plantgoddess+
12-27-2008, 11:10 AM
I like my birch Harmony's and my nickle plated Options and have pretty much quit using all my Boyes and Bates needles and have started giving some of them away to people I teach to knit.

mks22300
12-27-2008, 12:25 PM
I like my Addi's and my Options. I do have a few Brittany's, they are nice, but I much prefer working on circular needles rather than straights.

Jan in CA
12-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Bamboo DPNs and Knitpicks Options which are nickle plated steel.

LadyFirelyght
12-27-2008, 01:35 PM
I find I get the most consistent results with metal. I use KP Options and Addi Turbos.

cae3
12-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Quick question....What does DPN stand for?

Thanks.
Anita

teachermom
12-27-2008, 03:24 PM
DPN stands for double point needles

Jan in CA
12-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Quick question....What does DPN stand for?

DPN= Double Pointed Needle(s)

SBG
12-27-2008, 07:41 PM
I knit tightly so my favorites are the nickel plated ones from knit picks (I use circs for almost everything). I have some Harmonies too, and I like them, but I prefer the nickel plated.

Cynamar
12-28-2008, 02:44 PM
I want rosewod, too, because they are so beautiful. I use nickel needles most. They're just so easy.

KnitClickChick
12-28-2008, 08:15 PM
I have glass needles, bamboo, acrylic, metal, and I thought Susan Bates Silvalume were the best thing since sliced bread. Until I bought my first pair of Addi's the other day. Those are now my favorite. I love them!

KnitTogether
12-29-2008, 01:13 AM
I love my addi turbo's, but did get a pair of rosewoods a couple years ago for Christmas, and gotta say they are sure nice. The only downside to the set that I got was that the 'end' is only slightly flared, so the stitches can fall off the back if I'm not watching. But they are a nice knitting surface. Otherwise, it depends on yarn I am using as to what needle I like; I least like plastic, and my addi turbo's seem to be good for anything and everything except super slick yarns (and well they should be for the price!) I did have one set of addi circs that the end came off of, and the store replaced them for free.

PBELKNAP
12-29-2008, 01:48 PM
It all depends on what I'm knitting...

For straight back-and-forth knitting, I prefer bamboo, as the stitches stay on the needle and don't go flying off at the slightest provocation, yet the surface is smooth enough so that the stitches glide across nicely.

For circular, in-the-round knitting (by far my favorite way to knit), I love Addi Turbos.

The only type of needles I absolutely detest are plastic.

Koehnae
12-29-2008, 01:52 PM
I've worked with bamboo, plastic, birch, nickel, and various other metals. I have to say the birch (Harmony) are my favorite. I can work any material on them without sticking. Although, I have to admit that I can't use any metal-based needles anymore because of a sensitivity. I am sometimes a bit envious of the sharp tips on some of the metal needles, even though my Harmony needles have great tips.

KnitTogether
12-29-2008, 02:23 PM
I just had an additional thought - my dpn's are actually some sort of plastic, and for making socks, I enjoy them tremendously more than my bamboo dpn's... they have just enough flex to make them perfect for the socks. I can't remember the brand name - it's not Susan Bates - but they are great for the extra flexibility for going around the 'sock corner's.

linknit41
12-29-2008, 08:23 PM
have used bamboo, birch(Brittany dpns); plastic --least favorite(had one break in about 4 pieces while knitting a mohair-blend ballet wrap sweater--aaargh!); aluminum (too slipperyand stiff for me); silvalume (circular)--like ok; kp options borrowed from dd-(nice and smooth, nice cables, lightweight); Balene--which are some kind of plastic, and are ok,but have had them break also; and for Christmas from dd,a set of kp Harmony circulars,which i really like--they are smooth but not slippery, and have a nice point, plus they are just plain beautiful!! have not used Addis, or rosewood, a bit pricey for me. LionBrand makes a dpn from some kind of plastic which encases a metal rod which i have used for hats, and have had good luck with them. but my favorites are definitely wood or bamboo. if you are able to borrow needles of different types &materials it mighthelp you decide. sometimes lys have needles and yarn in baskets or on tables that you can try.l once tried square wooden needles--interesting,but not for me! linknit41

teachermom
12-31-2008, 10:08 AM
I finally got a chance to use my Rosewood's that I got for Christmas and I gotta say - I LOVE THEM!!! They are so smooth and feel wonderful in my hands and work wonderfully with the yarn. Can't wait to get some more.

Cynamar
01-01-2009, 11:15 AM
I prefer nickel because I like them slick but I'm open.