PDA

View Full Version : I guess I'm back to crochet

Mike
12-28-2008, 09:15 AM
I put the knitting down (only have 2 projects OTN) and picked up my huge crochet project (because it's freakin cold and I needed more warmth than the brim of a hat was providing) and started a quick granny square project (http://www.knitandcrochettoday.com/episodes/pdf/KTV2003C2.pdf).

BTW, if anyone goes to that pattern and can figure out how much yarn I'd need to make it 8'x8' I'd appreciate it, I'm usually good at math but the amount of skeins I'm coming up with seems way out of line since it has holes yet I come up with 8 more skeins than the all HDC 8'x8' I'm working on (28 skeins vs 20 skeins). I think I used 28 for an 8'x8' all SC afghan.

Marria
12-28-2008, 01:43 PM
How many yards are there in a skein?

NEVER MIND! I didn't see it on the second page.

Marria
12-28-2008, 01:53 PM
OK, by my estimate (just rough--I did it without a calculator, but I'm rounding up so as to estimate a bit more than what you would need).

To get enough squares to make it 8' by 8', you're going to need to crochet another 3 and 5/7 blankets' worth of squares. So lets round that up to 4 blankets worth. (By the way, your afghan won't be perfectly square since it's put together in blocks of a specific size. Instead, it will be about 4 inches longer on one side if you get gauge.)

So, add 4 more skeins of color A, 4 more skeins of color B and 8 more skeins of color C for a total of 20 skeins including the ones for your original blanket.

Jaxhil
12-28-2008, 02:11 PM
I am not claiming to be right, but I can't resist trying :mrgreen:

I come up with 22.4 skeins (oh, what the heck, let's go with 23! LOL). I didn't bother with how many in each color, though.

I took the amount of yarn for the original afghan, divided by the # of squares (in the original, again) to determine yardage per square; then I took the total yardage per square and multiplied it by the approximate # of squares (196) needed to make an 8'x8' blanket (actually a 94.5"x94.5" afghan), divided that by the amount per skein and came up with the # of skeins that way.

I've no idea if that is correct, but it was fun to try!

Jaxhil
12-28-2008, 02:12 PM
BTW, I really love that pattern! I'm printing it out :thumbsup:

MGM
12-28-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm not going to try and figure out yarn amounts...I usually just get one or two skeins more than what a pattern calls for or what I think I will need and keep the receipt, then return what I don't use!

BUT, I did want to thank Mike for sharing the link to that pattern. I'm not a huge granny square fan, but I really like this one! I've printed it and will put it in my pattern binder for future reference.

Thanks!

MGM

Mike
12-29-2008, 07:34 AM
Marria's 19 skeins (5+5+9) sounds a lot more accurate than my 28.
They're square squares so it should be able to be made into a square afghan.

Jaxhil's 23 skeins is sort of the same way I figured it. That must be wrong because I've done tighter stitches and used less. I think what throws that method off is the border in color C using a lot of that and the other colors don't look like they'll even use a complete skein (I've got 15 of color A done and there's hardly any gone from the center).

I got a couple squares complete so I could rip one out and figure it by yards.
Now that I'm doing it assembly line style where I do all the color A work before going on to B they probably won't look the same anyway.

OffJumpsJack
12-29-2008, 12:56 PM
Marria's 19 skeins (5+5+9) sounds a lot more accurate than my 28.
They're square squares so it should be able to be made into a square afghan.

Jaxhil's 23 skeins is sort of the same way I figured it. That must be wrong because I've done tighter stitches and used less. I think what throws that method off is the border in color C using a lot of that and the other colors don't look like they'll even use a complete skein (I've got 15 of color A done and there's hardly any gone from the center).

I got a couple squares complete so I could rip one out and figure it by yards.
Now that I'm doing it assembly line style where I do all the color A work before going on to B they probably won't look the same anyway.

If you have a food scale (units of fractional ounces or grams) you can weigh a square or two and then use the skein weights to estimate.

I haven't looked at the pattern simply because my wife would skin me if I started another project. ;) Maybe I'll just print it and add it to my "thick" binder of interesting projects.

The pattern calls for 35 squares in three colors using upto *one skein of each color but does not address left over portions of each color skein. I would guess 15 skeins (4, 5, 6) upto 16 skeins (5, 5, 6) would be needed for an estimated 196 squares needed for an 8 ft. x 8 ft. blanket.
{* Note: I am guessing the second skein of color C is needed for the border and sewing the 5 strips (of 7 squares ea.) together. But rounds 6 & 7 in color C could need more than one skein for all 35 squares.}

This is just a guess based on a% left over after 35 squares and that 196 sqares is 5.6 times more than the 35 squares used in the pattern. If just 10% of color A remains on the skein A after 35 squares, then 4 skeins of color A would be enough for an estimated 162 squares.

If all colors are in 7 ounce (198g) skeins, then weighing the leftover skein of each color and subtract the unused weight from the total weight will find the weight used by each color. Using 52 yd./oz. (168 cm/g) you can then estimate total yards (meters) needed for each color plus one or two skeins of C for the outer edge.

Note: The edging of the 8'x8' blanket would only be 2.2 times more than the edging of the 3' x 4' 2" given in the pattern. Even though there are 5.6 times more squares. ;) The difference is due to how area is calculated (multiplicative) vs. how circumference is calculated(incremental).

--Jack

[Previously edited to add comments on measureing unused in skein.]

Mike
12-29-2008, 01:28 PM
I don't think my scale is accurate enough to do it by weight (not digital).

But technically I've used enough of color A to have all 35 squares (2 squares done, 32 color A finished and 1 messed up) and I bet there's nearly half a skein left.
I guess this is impossible to figure out without frogging, weighing or working a skein to completion. It just doesn't use enough of the single skeins to be able to figure it out with math.

OffJumpsJack
12-29-2008, 02:33 PM
[Measuring] the leftover skein of each color and subtract the unused [length] from the total [length] will find the [length] used by each color. Then [add] one (or two skeins) of C for the outer edge.

Note: The edging of the 8'x8' blanket would only be 2.2 times more than the edging of the 3' x 4' 2" given in the pattern. Even though there are 5.6 times more squares. ;) The difference is due to how area is calculated (multiplicative) vs. how circumference is calculated (incremental).

I don't think my scale is accurate enough to do it by weight (not digital).

But technically I've used enough of color A to have all 35 squares (2 squares done, 32 color A finished and 1 messed up) and I bet there's nearly half a skein left.
I guess this is impossible to figure out without frogging, weighing or working a skein to completion. It just doesn't use enough of the single skeins to be able to figure it out with math.

You can measure the unused portion and subtract that length from total in the skein to find the length used. If the left over is half or less of the skein and you have multiple squares completed you improve your accuracy by the multiple number of squares.

[If you complete 10 squares, then your measurements are ten times larger and more accurate.]

[Or make a trip to your local post office and use the postal scale to weigh your yarn.] [Added thoughts--to my previous post--are in italics and between brackets.]

New guess-timate is (3, 5, 6) for 14 skeins total. Crossed Fingers Just a guess mind, I haven't measured anything.
[Basis: y]ou used 5.2 yards of color A per square from your guess of half a skein left after 35 squares. [Therefore, y]ou would need [about] 2.8 (3) skeins of A for 196 squares. If color B has 1/4 of the skein left after 35 B complete squares, then 4.2 skeins for color B (estimate that yardage for B is 1.5 times that of A, only two rnds but they have larger circumferences than the 3 A rnds.) If C color rounds use twice the yardage of A per square, then 5.6 skeins of C would be needed.

You could get a more accurate estimate of yardage for B and C from the 5.2 yd/square by comparing stitch counts in each color. Ugh, scratch that since both the pattern uses chains, sc, and dc mixed within each color. :sad:

Are you planning 14 squares in a strip and 14 strips for your 8' by 8' blanket?

Perhaps I added the above quote after you read my post. I tend to edit for spelling and then find I want to make additional comments, rearrange the order of ideas, or completely change my post just minutes after I have posted [them]. :aww:

--Jack

[P.S. Okay, is it apparent that I'm a math geek? You presented a word problem and I'm tripping over myself to get the most accurate answer. :roll: LOL]

Mike
12-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Does it come out to 14 squares? I didn't think that far. I was just thinking 6" squares x 8' and not worrying about the 3/4".

Right now I'm just making it to the pattern to see what is left over.
Then after I roll what is left into balls I probably could weigh it on an accurate scale and convert it from pennyweight.

Marria
12-29-2008, 08:24 PM
Just to let you know how I calculated it--I laid it out on graph paper, 5 squares x 7 squares (35 squares for the original blanket), then drew out my lines on the graph paper for the approximate length you wanted (this is why you won't get precisely 8' x 8', because the 6 3/4 inch square won't come out exactly like that). Then I just "filled it in" with more squares, which is where I came up with 4 5/7 more blankets' worth of squares, which of course was easy to round up to five.

Just in case you wanted to know how I estimated it. :)

pcmaya
12-30-2008, 12:09 AM
Can I just say "Wow" to your math post?

biztec
02-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Does it come out to 14 squares? I didn't think that far. I was just thinking 6" squares x 8' and not worrying about the 3/4".

Right now I'm just making it to the pattern to see what is left over.
Then after I roll what is left into balls I probably could weigh it on an accurate scale and convert it from pennyweight.

If you get bored with Granny Squares, this is a fun pattern. I changed the colors to autumn hues and am making it bigger, but practicing the different stitches is cool.

http://www.knitandcrochettoday.com/episodes/pdf/KTVSamplerC.pdf

stitchabit
02-24-2009, 09:56 PM
If you get bored with Granny Squares, this is a fun pattern. I changed the colors to autumn hues and am making it bigger, but practicing the different stitches is cool.

http://www.knitandcrochettoday.com/episodes/pdf/KTVSamplerC.pdf

I really like this pattern. I have done more crochet than knit and I like the variety of stitches.

saracidaltendencies
02-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Well, unfortunately I have nothing to contribute since I am absolutely terrible at math...And I totally mean that...lol...I have to make hubby do all my math for me...haha...But, the blanket is gorgeous and I can't wait to see pics when you're done! And, thank you for the link, I think that blanket is going to be my next crochet project!

Mike
02-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Now that all my dental work is done :woohoo: I'm free to finish it (the pattern size not the bed spread size).
They were fast this time so I didn't get much work done, only about 6 rounds (but I did find out I can crochet without looking).
And now that I've finished up a bunch of other stuff I'm really free to finish it.

I do still have a huge bed sized afghan that has about 10 1/2 SS skeins to get into it and I at least want to finish off the half skein before it heats up and I put it away again.

OffJumpsJack
02-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Mike,

Glad your dental and other "so called important stuff" is done so you get time to do what you want. It's terrible when life gets in the way of crochet or knitting. :eyebrow2: LOL

Are you completing one square at a time or completing the same color on all 35 squares before moving to the next color? :think:

How many squares do you have done? You know I'm just asking so I can find out if my guess was right? ;)

Mike
02-26-2009, 07:29 PM
The "bunch of other stuff" was all yarn stuff.
Double knit socks, double knit hat, crochet baby booties, knit washcloth and a few skeins into the big afghan. All probably started in the last month (except the big afghan, I think this is its second winter of being worked on).

I'm doing one color at a time.
I'm making the first one to pattern so I've made 35 squares plus a few extras.

There would be no way to know how many skeins it would take from the pattern because the 35 squares don't use full skeins of the first two colors.
The second color was almost a full skein but the first color wasn't even close.
Maybe when I get it all done I'll finish off the leftovers and see how many more it gives.

melmac51
03-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Whatever is left over, you can always add to your "stash"!

biztec
03-09-2009, 08:53 AM
I really like this pattern. I have done more crochet than knit and I like the variety of stitches.
My version of the project has grown! So far I have 13 squares and am not finished because I'm trying to use up a bunch of yarn, so I've added some additional squares. Also, I just bought "Kristin Knits" and am excited about embellishing, so I tried a few things on the crocheted squares. Some of it looks pretty good, but there's not much I can think of to do with the open patterns. After I quit, I still need to block, crochet the blocks together, and add the border. I guess it will be done some time next fall!!

Mike
03-16-2009, 05:38 PM
Here it is.
For some reason I can't get the camera to show any definition between the center and middle color. I thought it was the flash so I went outside and it still looks the same.

It used up about half of the center skein, most of the middle skein and every bit of the outer 2 skeins.

PamJ
03-17-2009, 09:31 AM
That's beautiful, Mike.

OffJumpsJack
03-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Nicely done, Mike! :yay:

You're rocking those Grannie Squares! :thumbsup:

cheley
03-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Here it is.
For some reason I can't get the camera to show any definition between the center and middle color. I thought it was the flash so I went outside and it still looks the same.

It used up about half of the center skein, most of the middle skein and every bit of the outer 2 skeins. Hi Mike..that is beautiful...my first love "was" crocheting and I have a "shoebox" full of grannies...I just can't get motivated to seam them all up since "knitting" has won me over..but I always love looking at finished crochet projects...I don't want to offend you and don't respond if u don't want to..but with all of your crochet/knitting knowledge (I am assuming you are a guy Mike) where did you learn sooo much???:aww: and do you really have a lousy senate seat????:hug:

knitpurlgurl
03-17-2009, 11:14 AM
It's gorgeous!

Mike
03-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Hi Mike..that is beautiful...my first love "was" crocheting and I have a "shoebox" full of grannies...I just can't get motivated to seam them all up since "knitting" has won me over..but I always love looking at finished crochet projects...I don't want to offend you and don't respond if u don't want to..but with all of your crochet/knitting knowledge (I am assuming you are a guy Mike) where did you learn sooo much???:aww: and do you really have a lousy senate seat????:hug:

I don't have much knitting knowledge. Maybe it seems that way because I gravitate towards challenges and I'm driven to figure out why things work.
I could tell you about double knitting and cables but not anything about lace.

My sister is a crochet expert, that's where I get my crochet knowledge. She can make up some amazing stuff without a pattern.
As long as I don't tell her I'm using math I can have her explain something and then I can figure out why it works and adapt it to what I want.

No, my siblings and I are estranged from my parents. They wouldn't buy any of us anything let alone a senate seat.

cheley
03-17-2009, 12:16 PM
I don't have much knitting knowledge. Maybe it seems that way because I gravitate towards challenges and I'm driven to figure out why things work.
I could tell you about double knitting and cables but not anything about lace.

My sister is a crochet expert, that's where I get my crochet knowledge. She can make up some amazing stuff without a pattern.
As long as I don't tell her I'm using math I can have her explain something and then I can figure out why it works and adapt it to what I want.

No, my siblings and I are estranged from my parents. They wouldn't buy any of us anything let alone a senate seat.:muah: Great answer... so, it's safe to assume that your are a "male" with lots of talent!!!

Mike
03-17-2009, 12:33 PM
:muah: Great answer... so, it's safe to assume that your are a "male" with lots of talent!!!

Yes I'm a male in a family with a long history of crafty males and females who would sooner make something than buy it (until the generation after me which other than one niece who can cook can't seem to do anything).

If I wasn't raised sleeping under heavy quilts and afghans I probably wouldn't have got the idea to start crochet.

cheley
03-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Yes I'm a male in a family with a long history of crafty males and females who would sooner make something than buy it (until the generation after me which other than one niece who can cook can't seem to do anything).

If I wasn't raised sleeping under heavy quilts and afghans I probably wouldn't have got the idea to start crochet. AWESOME!!!! Good chating with you:hug: