PDA

View Full Version : Using a different wool than recommended

KnittyNora1
12-28-2008, 02:50 PM
This is the first time I have used this site so am hoping I have put this question in the correct place. I have a problem understanding how to work out what to do if I use a wool that is not the correct one for the pattern. I would like to use Sirdar Blur with a tension of 16sts 22 rows instead of the recommended Rowan Kidsilk with a tension of 16-20sts 19-28 rows. I don't know if I have to use a different size needle and if so which one?
Thanks in advance

Marria
12-28-2008, 03:07 PM
The important thing is to get the right gauge for your pattern. The recommended stitch gauge for these two yarns is similar, so you can probably get it to work.

What you need to do is knit a swatch with the yarn of your choice and then use whatever needle size gives you the right gauge for your project. This is especially important for clothing like sweaters...you can get away with an inaccurate gauge for a scarf, though, but you have to keep in mind it may not have the exact dimensions that the pattern says it will have.

Another thing to consider is that these two yarns have different fiber content, and may not drape the same way in your finished product. This doesn't mean that the other yarn won't work beautifully, it's just something to keep in mind. You might want to get a skein of both and knit a test swatch.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
12-28-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm notorious for subbing materials (most wools cause my hands to swell and turn red... very few don't cause an allergic reaction). I usually go to yarndex.com so i can make sure that I can get the right gauge and weight yarn when I sub materials.