PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Yarn for Afghans

Peppercaperemma
12-28-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm about to begin my first afghan and am wondering about the best yarn to use - I don't want it to cost a fortune as I'll need about 2000 yards. This week Michael's and Joann Fabric has all their yarn on sale. -Any thoughts about any of these for afghans?
Vanna"s choice by Lion Brand
Barella "4" by Bernat
Simply Soft by Caron

Thanks for any tips you can lend.

Marria
12-28-2008, 10:04 PM
The only one of those I've used is Simply Soft, and I think it's very nice for afghan. It holds up well, has a nice sheen to it, and of course is soft. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with it.

suzeeq
12-28-2008, 10:36 PM
I'm working with Vanna's Choice for the first time, and I like it. Simply soft is good too, though it can get fuzzy and pill with a lot of use, and I've heard Berella 4 is a good one too. So I guess it depends on yardage and price and which colors you like.

KnitClickChick
12-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Simply Soft is very nice and comfy

KnitTogether
12-28-2008, 11:19 PM
I like Caron's Simply Soft as well, and have used it for afghans and two ruanas.

sorifes
12-28-2008, 11:52 PM
agreed simply soft, I got a whoooooole but uber cheap a while ago and made my mom a blanket outta it and it's much softer then the other stuff. Also that rainbow somethin or another yarn at Joann's is nice for blankets I made my donation blanket out of it. (it's like a huge ball)

suzeeq
12-29-2008, 01:15 AM
The rainbow boucle from Joann's. I made a huuuuuuge blanket for my son and dil with 2 skeins, double stranded on size 13s.

dodgerfan
12-29-2008, 01:43 AM
simply soft is nice for a blanket but I have found it takes forever to knit up into a decent size blanket.

suzeeq
12-29-2008, 01:58 AM
On size 7 or 8s, yeah, would take a while. It wouldn't be too bad on size 10s if you had a lacey pattern or you could double it and use size 13.

WandaT
12-29-2008, 07:24 AM
or you could double it and use size 13.

That's what I was gonna say - double strand it and use size 11's or 13's. I just did that with a feather and fan baby blanket on size 11's with CSS. One yarn you didn't mention is Red Heart Soft. From what I've used of that, I like it better than Vanna's Choice.

RuthieinMaryland
12-29-2008, 08:47 AM
I like Caron's Simply Soft as well, and have used it for afghans and two ruanas.

Hi!:waving:

What's a ruana?

Thanks,
Ruthie :hug:

PS - I've made 5 afghans out of Simply Soft and they all came out great.

miccisue
12-29-2008, 08:57 AM
simply soft is nice for a blanket but I have found it takes forever to knit up into a decent size blanket.

I'm using three strands and size 15 needles to make an afghan for my niece, and it's knitting up really quickly. She wanted "lime green and blue", but didn't specify which color blue...she'd said something about baby blue for something else, but I wasn't sure so I ended up with a light blue, a deeper "country" blue, and the lime green. I think the two different blues have kept it from being a nightmare on the eyes, as it's actually working up to be awfully pretty. (And you're right - in single strands, I can't imagine doing it, but they're slender enough that I can work 3 on big needles with no problems, and it makes things go tons faster!!!!):thumbsup:

Marria
12-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Hi!:waving:

What's a ruana?

Thanks,

PS - I've made 5 afghans out of Simply Soft and they all came out great.

Ruthie-A ruana is a shawly capey sort of thing--well look at this and it will make more sense. :)

http://a-wee-bit-of-ireland.stores.yahoo.net/ruana2.html

Plantgoddess+
12-29-2008, 11:15 AM
I used Simply Soft to knit 3 afghans last winter and loved the finished product. I used lace patterns and on 2 I doubled the yarn. The drape and feel as well as stitch definition was great. My favorite though was the one I worked with a single strand. I would definitely use simply soft again for an afghan.

RuthieinMaryland
12-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Ruthie-A ruana is a shawly capey sort of thing--well look at this and it will make more sense. :)

http://a-wee-bit-of-ireland.stores.yahoo.net/ruana2.html

Hi, Marria! :waving:

Thanks for this link. I've got to put a ruana on my list of things to knit! Just the type of shawly-capey thing I'd love to wrap up in!
But that'll have to wait 'til the book's finished! Right now I'm up to my ears in cotton yarn! :roflhard:

Happy knitting! :knitting:

khaosx5
12-29-2008, 11:17 AM
I like Berella 4 for afghans - it stands up much better. Simply soft is nice, but because of the softer fibres that are used it does pill quite easily.
:knitting:

newknitter23
12-29-2008, 12:30 PM
I have used the Berella 4 for a few things and like it alot. I would go with that.

robkat317
12-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Out of the yarns you have listed, I have only used Vanna's Choice for afghans but, I did not knit the afghan, I crocheted it. I knit a hat with it and it came out okay too. I think Vanna's Choice washes extremely well and it is very soft(softer after it came out of the wash). Also I think the colors coordinate very well with each other.

PBELKNAP
12-29-2008, 01:42 PM
I really like Patons Decor or Plymouth Encore for nicer acrylic/wool blends. You can usually find sales online for Decor...

miccisue
12-29-2008, 03:24 PM
I am also one of the "oddballs" who knits afghans with Red Heart Super Saver. The yarn may be a bit rough on your hands while knitting it, but after it's finished, once through the washer and dryer will do a terrific job on softening it up (and Red Heart SS wears like iron - takes a lot of abuse and washes up wonderfully). It also tends to be less expensive than even Caron Simply Soft, so budget-wise for me it's excellent.

Marria
12-29-2008, 06:39 PM
I really like Patons Decor or Plymouth Encore for nicer acrylic/wool blends. You can usually find sales online for Decor...

Lion Brand Wool-ease is similar to Plymouth encore too...

Also, if you aren't concerned about it being machine washable--sometimes Jo-ann Fabrics has good deals on Patons Classic Merino Wool yarn--it comes in a big skein (around 220 yards), and it's super soft.

Red Heart also makes a soft acrylic yarn that's similar to Simply Soft.

Jgal7227
03-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Wow you ladies are a great sorce of Information!!! You guys blow my mind!!!!:muah:

JG

borealowl
03-07-2010, 12:15 AM
I never have liked Red Heart except for some rugs I have made with it. But it's true, it does soften up with time and washing and wears like iron. So I decided to give it another try after all I've been reading about. I have been knitting an easy 45x62 inch afghan with six 7 oz. balls of SS I got on sale for 2.29 each. I think it will be nice after it's washed. I still don't like this yarn for clothes.
Encore and Decor would be great - I have used these yarns a lot.
I am using the RH double strand with 13 needles in red. Present for a cousin.

chj
03-07-2010, 04:37 PM
I made an afghan recently with Wool-Ease chunky. It was wonderful -cushy and warm. I wish I could remember if I used size 10.5 or 11 needles. I also like Caron Simply Soft Paints - it's in fun varigated colors and has just a little bit more body than the regular Caron Simply Soft. I also recently made an afghan using (Joann's) Deborah Norville Serenity Chunky. Again, it was really soft and cushy, and a dream to work with.