PDA

View Full Version : Works in Progress

AngieLanigan
12-30-2008, 02:26 PM
Do you tend to start a project and stick with it until it's finished, or do you have more than one project on the go at once?

I'm a pretty crafty person... I scrapbook/make cards, sew and now I knit. I usually only have short blocks of time to sit and work on crafty stuff, so I never get to sit and just finish anything at once. Add to that I'm a bit of a scatterbrain and get bored of a project if I have to sit with it for too long. So, I have a bazillion things on the go at once, it seems, for everything. Drives my husband crazy LOL But, it helps keep my interest to be able to switch from one project to another, depending on my mood :)

Right now I've got one of a pair of booties finished for dh's cousin's expected arrival, a 1/4 of a pair of mittens, about a 1/2 sweater for my 6yo son, several knitted squares towards a bag I'm making for myself. And that doesn't even count the two sewing projects I'm in the middle of LOL

Anyone else a "scatterbrained knitter"?

KnitTogether
12-30-2008, 02:34 PM
I am sooo bad... love starting new projects.... I wish I could be disciplined to do 1 or 2 at a time; instead I've got everything from crochet, to knit, to embroidery and an art project or two... every so often I will get annoyed with myself and put a halt to all new projects (or at least try to) until I've completed at least one that is already on the needles... I am totally scattered because I will just fall in love with every new project I see and want to start it that second...:aww:

LadyFirelyght
12-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Knitting is actually one of the only things I'm NOT scatterbrained in! I have several non-knitting projects in the works that I keep switching through but nothing's seeming to get done. I have one knitting WIP that I'm kind of hibernating while I figure out how to finish it. Other than that, I have a pair of socks I'm working on. That's it! This month, I've made from start to finish: 1 scarf, 4 hats, 1 kimono shrug, and 2 pairs of socks. I keep plenty busy without being scatterbrained lol.

With my knitting, I HATE not making a lot of progress on a project. I try to finish them as quickly as possible so that I don't get bored. If I get bored of knitting, I watch a movie :) I'm lucky to be a housewife with no kids atm (<3 my hubby for that), so I have plenty of time to knit.

LBECK
12-30-2008, 02:42 PM
I feel ya. Right now I have a crochet baby blanket for a baby that was borned this month going and a knit baby blanket for a baby that will be here in Jan. besides that I have a pillow otn, 2 dishclothes, and about to start several hats for people that want them for the cold this year. Oh, and a scarf that I frogged and need to start again. It is alway like this for me. Every now and again I will buckle down and finish all UFO's and then start about 5 or 6 more. :p

PBELKNAP
12-30-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm definitely one of those people who can't work on just one thing at a time. I also crochet, so I usually have one crochet project and one knitting project going. Right now, I have a strip I'm knitting for an afghan (my SnB is putting together all our strips to make an afghan for a senior center), crocheting a jacket, and -- well, I couldn't resist -- I've already cast on for one of the sweater kits I received for Christmas. :teehee:

I don't beat myself up over having project ADD...I figure that this way I don't get bored with working on one thing. I'd be much less apt to finish projects if I had to do one at a time.

rachejm
12-30-2008, 04:43 PM
If its something quick or something that I really want to finish then I will just sit and do it but in general I get bored pretty quickly so I tend to have a few on the go and just pick each one up when I feel like it.

I tend not to get much finished but hey, I can live with that.

Mirl56
12-30-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm an almost one at a time person. I usualy have only one "house" project, maybe 2 at most. And one "car" project. The car project is usually dishclothes, small stuff I can work on when waiting for my son. If I had too many 'house' projects, the older ones I'd be afraid I'd never pick up again.

teachermom
12-30-2008, 05:31 PM
I've always got several items going at one time... I knit, quilt, crochet, and sew... scrapbooking I've started, but for the time being is just under the bed in a box - this will be my summer project.

It used to bother my dh, but I think he is now starting to understand that I will always have several things going at one time.

Koehnae
12-30-2008, 05:57 PM
I am definitely a scatterbrain... in more than just knitting! :teehee: I currently have 4 knitting projects, 2 crochet projects, 3 sewing projects, 1 painting project, 2 books, and more in progress. I even started cleaning our storage room only to get bored with it and start cleaning up my craft room. Neither project has yet to be finished. :p

It's funny because I used to be really good about finishing projects before starting another. Then I got hurt at work and had to take three years off. Ugh... I was so bored! I was constantly taking on new things to entertain myself. Now that I am back to work and school the new scatterbrained tendencies won't go away. I don't know if you want to get me started on how many class projects I am started on. :aww:

mommydearest
12-30-2008, 06:12 PM
I always have more than 2 projects going. Like some of the others I have my car project - dishcloth (I even take these into stores, especially if my dd is trying on clothes), my bedroom project - at the moment it's the Log Cabin Knitted afghan, and I have my chair project - a baby hat. I get bored with the same stitches so I need to do different things. Oh, I almost forgot two more OTN projects - socks for me and a cable scarf for ??? to go along with the hat I already finished.

The more the merrier.

Mary

Plantgoddess+
12-30-2008, 06:35 PM
I used to be a one project at a time knitter, but as my passion for knitting grows I find myself with multiple projects going. I have a simple sock pattern for when I'm out and about. I have a shawl that I can only work on when I'm sure I won't be interrupted, a stole just because I couldn't stand not to start something with some pretty yarn I bought and another pair of socks for while I'm reading on the internet and watching tv.

sakura-panda
12-30-2008, 10:20 PM
My "plan" is to have two WIPs at any time -- one "nice" project with "good" yarn that I am taking my time on, and one "practice" project with "old" yarn that I can work on when I think I'm not going to be able to concentrate well enough to work on my "nice" project.

This means I currently am working on a scarf for my DS and a baby blanket. I try not to think about the pair of socks that I quit working on and a crocheted afghan that I started about six years ago, although that one is nearly done. :D

Marria
12-31-2008, 02:37 AM
In the past I frequently had half a dozen projects going at any given time. Most of them ended up frogged. In the past year or so, though, as I've challenged myself to learn new skills, and to not look at a pattern and say to myself "I can't make that", I've cut way back on the number of projects I have going at any one time. The reason is, I meticulously pre-plan all the steps, do swatches, wash and block them, for a chart where the stitch count changes, I keep track of what the stitches will be so I can count them, I draw out a little graph to check off these places and the rows where decreases occur...etc...etc..:eyes: I know, I'm a tad anal when it comes to this stuff--but I find I have to frog much less than before I adopted this "system". So, I don't do the 6 or 8 projects going at once thing any more because I am trying new techniques and skills and it makes me really excited about the project and I don't get bored with it.

Having said that, I do keep a simpler project on the needles at all times for situations where I want to sit with hubby and watch a movie and not have to really look at my hands, or especially if the harder project is driving me nuts, and I need a bit of time to get past it and figure out the problem.

Anyway, sorry for the novel...if you had asked this a year ago, my response would probably have been--yeah, I have 7 projects going now, and I just ordered yarn for two more. :teehee:

WandaT
12-31-2008, 07:55 AM
You know, a year or so ago I would've said I always have quite a few projects going. But I have found these days that I pretty much concentrate on one project at a time. I like to finish things. I like to see results. I started playing with quite a few different yarns and patterns back in September before traveling to see my sister and I still have some of them OTN. Christmas got in the way and I haven't gotten back to them, but have finished quite a number of projects since then. I ended up frogging some of them but still have a couple in progress. I also have a sock OTN I need and want to finish as soon as I don't have any more projects that have to be completed on a deadline.

Anyway, it seems I have become a one project knitter for the most part though. I started a scarf yesterday for my daughter and will mostly likely finish it before moving on to something else. She goes back to college in a couple of weeks and wants to take it with her. I have a couple of scarves I need to have done for Jan birthdays too, so they will be next on my list.

Funny how we change isn't it? I used to have lots of projects going on purpose. Now I tend to stick with the same one until it's finished.

daniellecool2003
01-02-2009, 12:31 PM
i am also a many project person. i love cross stsitch too as well as the knitting. My fiance is a massive tottenham hotspur fan and i have been promising him for the last year to make something to do with his team. But alas i get annoyed every time summit goes wrong and the project gets tossed aside. I am now working on a top for myself and determined to finish it and hopefully have a go at the project for my fiance again. Please god all will work out.

Kinnexa
01-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Sure, I have a few projects going. I'd be bored to death otherwise!

Right now I have a simple scarf on the needles for knitting during lunch hour at work, while waiting somewhere for something, and when I'm too tired to think and just want to knit to relax. I have another, slightly more complex scarf (my first ribbon project) for when I feel like thinking a bit. AND I've got a tangle waiting on my Addis for those times of ambition - I'm teaching myself the Magic Loop.

I have a binder of patterns, websites, and bits of this and that to dream about for the next project, too. Works for me!

TEMA
01-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Not necessarily a scatterbrained knitter... just scatterbrained.... Knitting is the one thing that keeps me on an even keel...
So far I haven't been tempted to knit more than one project at a time but that might change...
Nothing is written in cement... LOL!
TEMA:knitting: