PDA

View Full Version : Ahh what do i do now?

Debbie27
01-01-2009, 03:48 PM
so this answer may be here and i'm just jumping the gun by starting and not fully researching but i'm stuck.

I just learned cast on and started but how long do i do cast on before i do the knit stitch? Lets say i'm making a scarf. I'm really not making anything since i'm learning this minute but for this question sake.

also i got the needles that are attached by a wire, was that the right one to begin with? where does the cast on go once it reaches the end of the 1st needle and is on the wire?

Thanks so much.

Lisa R.
01-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Hi, and welcome! You'll love this place! I learned to knit a little bit with friends, but it was the videos on this site that really helped me get the hang of it. I encourage you to watch them and see what's what.

As to your questions, how "long" you cast on depends on how many stitches you want for what you're making. If you're just doing a practice project, I'd cast on 20-30 stitches and then just practice knitting for a while.

What you do is cast on the 30 (for instance) stitches. Then switch the needle with the stitches to your left hand. Take the empty needle in your right hand, and begin knitting. Continue in that way till your "project" is as long as you like.

What you have is circular needles, and they are fine. You can use them for knitting in the round (hats, for instance) or straight knitting (as I just described).

Check out this video (http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips) to help you get started.

Marria
01-01-2009, 04:13 PM
How many stitches you want to cast on depends on the needle size and the thickness of your yarn. What yarn are you using, and what needle size? If you post those, we can give you an estimate on the number of stitches to use.

The needle you are using sounds like it's a circular needle. Your stitches will slide onto the cord in the middle as you cast on, but it's OK because when you turn back to knit each row, you'll just slide your stitches back up on the needle to knit them.

Also, if you are planning to knit your scarf in stockinette (knit 1 row then purls one row and so on), your knitting will curl. There is a thread about how to deal with that here:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32810

If you are just going to use garter stitch, then you don't have to worry about that.

Jan in CA
01-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Circular needles are used just like straight needles except they are attached. After you cast on the desired number of stitches put the needle with the stitches in your left hand and pick up the empty needle and start knitting. If the work is in the middle remember that the yarn will be coming from the right side of the knitting and that it should be at the needle tip end.

Debbie27
01-01-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm using a #8us needle and the yarn is red heart super saver wt 5oz 141g 244yds 223m. Dont know which of those you needed to know. Oh it also said medium 4.

ok so whatever i cast on the 1st needle will go over to the other once i start knitting then when the cast on finishes from the 1st needle i have to do it again? I'm sorry these are such dumb questions, i honestly know zip about knitting.

also i cant make the cast on tight right? I was making them super tight.

I'll keep trying but appreciate all your answers.

Thank you.

suzeeq
01-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Knitting a stitch transfers it from one needle end to the other, just as if you were using 2 separate needles. For a scarf, or scarf like sampler you only need about 24-30 sts, that should be about 6-7" wide. A looser cast on makes it easier to get your needle into the stitches. You might want to watch the Demo of a small project video on the Tips page, it shows how to cast on, knit a few rows and bind off.

Marria
01-01-2009, 04:45 PM
I agree wiith Sue about the number of stitches to cast on. You can try that out and knit a few rows, then measure the width. If you aren't happy with it, you can just start over and adjust the stitch count a bit. As you get more experience, you'll get better at estimating this sort of thing.

A tip for making a looser cast on: Try putting your two circular needle ends together in parallel so both points are facing the same direction. Then cast on around both of them. When you are through casting on, slip one of the needle ends out of the cast-on, so that just one of the needle ends has the cast-on on it. This will leave a much looser cast-on for you to knit into.