PDA

View Full Version : just had to frog 6 days worth of knitting

Lucy78green
01-02-2009, 06:44 PM
I am knitting a jumper for my boyfriend (yes I am ignoring the curse) and I swatched it ages ago. I knew that my tension was a little large. I made a square 50 stitches wide and the desired tension was 22st and 30 rows to 4 inches square. If I had only made the 22 stitch wide swatch it would have lead me to believe I was spot on but obviously even a small bit out over such a wide piece adds up to a lot. I can't remember what I actually got but it wasn't too badly off, about 22 st to 4 1/4 inches.
I didn't want to change down a needle size as I only have 8 balls of yarn and smaller needle size means more rows so in my head that meant more yarn. I decided to follow the instructions for a 42 inch jumper to make a 44. I decided to make it in the round instead of flat so I took away the extra 4 stitches and got 244 for front and back. Well after I got to the armholes (17 inches of knitting later), I put it on longer circular needles and put it on the floor laid out and it was 48 inches around. Even allowing for a little extra room that's way too much. So if 244 stitches came out 48 inches I reckon that 222 stitches will be 44. The instructions for a 38 inch jumper would be 220 stitches if made in the round, so maybe I'll just follow those instead. He's wears a size 42-44 but in real life he measures 38 inches around the chest, so it wont be too neat. Does anyone else follow my random logic and fuzzy maths?

Ingrid
01-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Your best bet is to measure a sweater that fits him the way he likes and take it from there.

Plantgoddess+
01-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Sounds like the way I figure and the 2nd try usually fits the way I want.

Lucy78green
01-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Oh, I did measure one of his jumpers, but he kept requesting adding random inches to the length etc I think he thinks he's bigger than he is just because he's tall, but he's quite thin

Lieuvena
01-02-2009, 07:09 PM
I don't have any advice as I'm not a very advanced knitter yet. I just wanted to say sorry you had to undo all that knitting. Here's a hug :hug: and good luck getting it all figured out!

Ingrid
01-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Oh, I did measure one of his jumpers, but he kept requesting adding random inches to the length etc I think he thinks he's bigger than he is just because he's tall, but he's quite thin

:lol: Men.

LadyFirelyght
01-02-2009, 09:07 PM
So sorry you had to go through all that trouble! Day before yesterday, I had to frog some socks I'd been working on for 4-5 days. I was 3/4 of the way done, tried them on... they didn't fit! They looked awful! :frog: I feel for you.