PDA

View Full Version : I'm sick of . . . .

dodgerfan
01-03-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm sick of people making fun of me because I knit. IT seems that everyone I know makes fun of me because of my favorite hobby. Just because I am 23 years old, doesn't mean that I can't enjoy knitting. I try to explain to people that anyone can knit, it is not just for little old ladies, but know one seems to really understand it. Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do? I love knitting and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon, but this is really getting old. :mad:

CountryNaturals
01-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Hmmm, and what are they doing with their hands while they're making fun of you? Something more productive than knitting? Maybe they could share their wisdom with the rest of us. :teehee:

sylvia
01-03-2009, 07:10 PM
people have to much time on their hands and are idiots
they should be knitting
sylvia

Abbily
01-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Are these people your friends? If so, I would politely explain that friends don't make fun of the things that make friends happy, and that if they can't find a way to treat you with respect, then clearly they aren't that interested in being friends. For that matter, I'd use that line with family too. Obviously you can't stop being family, but you don't have to spend time with people who aren't interested in being nice. It's common courtesy, it's not that hard. :)

MoniDew
01-03-2009, 07:28 PM
with friends like those, who needs enemies?

The immaturity level here is just unbelievable. Move on. You can find better friends than that! Be supportive of yourself, and insist that your friends do also.

dodgerfan
01-03-2009, 07:28 PM
See that's the funny part, they are doing nothing. I do the vast majority of my knitting at night, while watching tv, I think everyone is just jealous that I can mulity task and all they have is the ability to just watch tv. All I know is that these people aren't getting any of my knitted items!!!

I'm pretty used to people's comments, I'm a pretty avid reader too and people don't understand that one either.

Debkcs
01-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Hey Dodgerfan, if you make any of the home games this June and July, look for a knitter behind the first base line, about ten rows back. I'll be there for a few months this summer, and I intend to take my knitting with me.

If you're friends don't understand what makes you happy, they aren't friends.

Oh yes, I'll be spending a lot of time at Knit Cafe on Melrose, one of my favorites.

CountryNaturals
01-03-2009, 07:30 PM
I have just 2 words for anyone who thinks knitting is just for little old ladies -- VICKIE HOWELL!
http://www.vickiehowell.com/about.html

dodgerfan
01-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Hey Dodgerfan, if you make any of the home games this June and July, look for a knitter behind the first base line, about ten rows back. I'll be there for a few months this summer, and I intend to take my knitting with me.

Oh yes, I'll be spending a lot of time at Knit Cafe on Melrose, one of my favorites.
I'll be sure to look for you, I plan on making at least one home game this year, that is for sure. If I do make it down there, Ill have to check out the KnitCafe, sounds like fun, I wish Reno had one of those!

LadyFirelyght
01-03-2009, 07:39 PM
I had that problem at first... until people saw my work. Now everyone's clammering to get something I've made. Even my husband's cousin is practically begging for stuff.

To the people who make fun of me, I tell them, "I'm trying to do something productive with my copious amounts of free time. Better than playing video games, eh?"

dodgerfan
01-03-2009, 07:41 PM
LadyFirelyght I agree with you, at least knitting is more of a challenge that playing a video game, anyone can do that.

suzeeq
01-03-2009, 07:53 PM
I'm not so great at video games, maybe because I have little interest in them, and don't know how to work the controls. But I've been knitting since I was about 14 (a really long time ago) and still learn new things about it all the time.

Mommy22alyns
01-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Just think of every person that says something nasty to you as one less person to knit for. :p

Seriously, I love seeing other young knitters (though I admit to having the old lady stereotype myself before I learned 2 years ago). And you're a baseball fan too? Awesome! Dodgers, huh... do you hope they re-sign Manny?

TEMA
01-03-2009, 09:25 PM
mmmmmm.....
When I was quilting all the time, I did a couple of stints at Expo'86 where I did quilting demonstrations all day long.
That means that for most of the 13 or so days that I was there I was sitting at a frame quilting my little heart out.
Here's what I found... a lot of the people standing around watching me quilt said -'Oh, I could never have the patience to do that... to which I often replied... Oh, I bet there's something that you do that I would never be able to do... and you know, it was true.
I remember one lady saying that and then telling me that her hobby was petit point... petit point? And she thinks she wouldn't have the patience to quilt...?
What I am saying here is - knitting is your special thing... it grounds you and gives you something in return... perhaps the people that have been talking to you have either, not come to grips with what is for them or... they are already doing something that means as much to them as knitting means to you.
Best thing to do is to find out... don't take it personal... take the opportunity that's been presented to you and find out more about the person... what they are doing to fulfill themselves.
You might be surprised...!
TEMA:thumbsup:
:knitting:

To Knit or not to Knit, that is the question....

TrishL1975
01-03-2009, 09:55 PM
dodgerfan, ignore them. I got teased a lot as a kid for constantly having my nose in a book - I'm sure you did too.

Knitting is *useful*. I joke that if the apocalypse comes and we all get knocked back to subsistence-level living, I'll be doing better than most, because I know how to garden and cook, can, dry, freeze, and store food, and take care of livestock. I bet I could make soap if I had to. I understand the principles of carding and spinning fibers, and crocheting and knitting are just extensions of taking something from a raw material to something useful.

And I'm not a little old lady either - I'll be 34 in a couple weeks. I just grew up in dairy country on 27 acres, and the grocery store was 20 miles away, so we stockpiled a lot - and home grown is cheaper. Being out in the country, we didn't have more than one TV channel either, so I never developed the habit.

What use are video games or TV? You don't get anything out of them. Distraction maybe, but a lot of times it's a tension-making distraction, rather than the soothing one of knitting. And at the end, you have socks, or a sweater, or a gift for a loved one, and a sense of accomplishment.

Knit on, girl, and be proud of yourself.

Ingrid
01-03-2009, 10:20 PM
If you were painting a picture, people would Oooh and Aaah over it.
Tell them you're a fiber artist and move on.
People are always telling me that they don't have the patience to knit. I tell them that knitting gives me an infinite amount of patience. I can sit and wait for appointments with no stress; I can sit at Little League games or Kung Fu lessons without feeling put out; I can listen to presenters at meetings without wondering what I'm going to make for dinner.
I also tell them that I don't have the patience to just sit and watch a movie or TV. That gets them thinking.:shrug:

RuthieinMaryland
01-04-2009, 12:47 AM
Hi! :waving:

I am always so happy to see young people take an interest in fiber arts. I've been crocheting for many years and a couple of years ago I got into knitting and am hooked! In the larger scheme of living, it's wonderful for me to know that there are generations out there who will carry the wonderful skills of the needle arts forward into the future.

Everyone creates something. Not all of it's good. But take heart in the fact that you're creating something that will give you peace and pleasure, will harm no one and your projects will brighten the lives of those around you, and your own life as well.

And remember that not everyone gets it, poor things, and will never know the pride or sense of accomplishment that you'll find every day in your knitting. Pity them! And if they're really mean about it, deck 'em!!! (Just kidding....sort of).:)

So keep on keeping on with your art form and eventually they'll all probably be hounding you for knitted pieces!

Happy knitting! :hug:

Ruthie

tokmom
01-04-2009, 02:27 AM
what everyone else said. Keep knitting and the heck with them. Once they see what cool things you can make, they will be jealous.;)

WandaT
01-04-2009, 10:18 AM
I think a lot of us have been in that boat at some point or another. Even my DH did that to me quite a bit whenI first started knitting. He doesn't anymore though - he finally got used to it. My advice would be to get a thicker skin and don't let their ignorance bother you. (I know some times that's easier said than done - especially on PMS days! LOL) I just smile now and say, "It's my therapy and way cheaper than a shrink!"

YarnKitten
01-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Ha. I'm a gamer, reader and a knitter. As much as I love the first two, the last one is a marketable skill. (To be fair, the first two could be, but I couldn't be in business for myself and those jobs are scarce in a lot of places. :P)

Tell them that you're learning a marketable skill and that it gives you more joy to finish a scarf for a friend than to finish a game and have no one to share that joy with.

Or you could shut them up by saying "I'm knitting items for charity" and make up a big story about how you're saving children's lives. XD I bet they'd shut up then.

dodgerfan
01-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Just think of every person that says something nasty to you as one less person to knit for. :p

Seriously, I love seeing other young knitters (though I admit to having the old lady stereotype myself before I learned 2 years ago). And you're a baseball fan too? Awesome! Dodgers, huh... do you hope they re-sign Manny?
I love baseball, I have played that or softball since I was 5 and have been obsessed with the dodgers for about that long. I really hope they resign Manny, LA loves him!!! I think more and more young people should take up knitting, it is a great way for to stay occupied and take pride in what you make. I'm trying to work in the juvenile justice system and I think a knitting program would be a great way to teach young offenders to take pride and believe in themselves.

mhansen
01-04-2009, 01:51 PM
I have never had this problem and I've known how to knit since I was 10 years old.

rachejm
01-04-2009, 04:04 PM
I've had a couple of negative comments from people but mostly my friends are supportive. I got one of them knitting a few months ago and I know a couple of other people who knit. My housemates were a little skeptical but then watched me knit my first pair of socks - that made them take notice. The people who are negative about it are usually the ones who are jealous because they think they can't do it.

evona
01-04-2009, 04:13 PM

I live in L.A and didn't even know this place existed! I'll have to check it out. Thanks Debkcs :)

Dodgerfan - there are a lot of cool young people knitting. I am only in my 30s - certainly not a little old lady. Your friends can think what they want, but you are doing something productive and cool. They just seem to be wasting their time.

AAngels
01-04-2009, 09:13 PM
I have a knitting group and we have young pp there in their 20's and I am 54. We have a variety of ages.
So it is for everyone and is making a come back with the younger pp too.
Everyone should know a craft in case some day you need to rely on that. Ya never know.

I sometimes get teased about it, but this past Christmas I mentioned to everyone in our family that we were going to do Homemade or Handmade gifts and thats what everyone got from me. Next year the same thing and I suggested all the young ones learn a craft and show what they can make-------------even if it is a food item

Just ignore those teasing pp and if they accept any of your gifts, they might learn the value in it.

Thanks
Kathy

Nanaof6
01-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Some people take longer to grow up than others. If you love knitting then just ignore, their stupidity. Just remember those that make fun of you later on . Those are the one's that won't get one of your awesome hand knitted projects , that others are asking for.
Like felted clogs! my friends made fun of them while I was making them ,until the saw my finished clogs. The one's that laughed and made fun of me ,will never know how wonderful these clogs are.

By the way, knitting is not an age or gender thing. I only wish I had started when I was younger, I started at age 53 and I'm 56 now ,I can't believe that I wasted all those years not knitting.

There are so many crafts and arts that are being lost to the youth of today, I love seeing younger people bringing it back into style.

Keep knitting!!!:X:

knittingfan0908
01-05-2009, 12:26 AM
That was very well said. And you're right! This especially helps me because I'm a 15 year old knitter, so imagine how much I get made fun of!

feministmama
01-05-2009, 12:30 AM
I'll be your friend. Who needs folks like that anyway?

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
01-05-2009, 12:47 AM
lots of things you could say: http://shop.cafepress.com/knitting

esp the ones on the shirts :)

dodgerfan
01-05-2009, 01:53 AM
That was very well said. And you're right! This especially helps me because I'm a 15 year old knitter, so imagine how much I get made fun of!
That's awesome, way to go, I actually know a few people younger than you so hang in there and who cares what people say :)

GinnyG
01-05-2009, 06:04 AM
How odd....... making fun of someone who knits would be like making fun of someone who paints or sculpts or engages in any art activity. I've knit for over 30 years and can honestly say no one has ever made fun of me for knitting, shown interest or curiosity but never ridicule.

I cannot even begin to imagine what type of person would make fun of somoen for being creative. In fact that is most likely exactly what I would say.

septfest
01-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Aww, dont take it to heart.. I work nights and take my knitting to work with me, there some ppl that pick on me but in a friendly kind of way, I just laugh back and tell them to shut up.. Now they are used to it and some of them even come up to check how far I've gotten on my scarf or whatever I'm knitting at the moment.

sakura-panda
01-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Some people just always have to pick on other people. :eyebrow2: When I'm getting picked on, I tend to just smile sweetly and ignore whatever the comments are.

I've been lucky that no one has picked on me about my knitting (that I've noticed -- I do have to admit that I have selective hearing :lol:)

However, at Christmas I was getting a lot of comments about being pregnant with baby #3, and rather than react, I would just smile and not respond. I really think some of them were just trying to get some kind of a reaction out of me! :noway:

PBELKNAP
01-05-2009, 02:24 PM
I get a lot of ribbing for knitting (and crocheting), and I'm 44. Overall, I get more grief for the crocheting, as everyone associates that with grandmothers and rocking chairs.

My personal favorite are the people who dismiss it as "a waste of time." These are usually the same people who are capable of spending 6 hours at a time watching DVDs while munching on Fritos.

Perhaps if you dig up some patterns to show them for knitted thongs and other racy lingerie that would shut them up... :roflhard: