PDA

View Full Version : Yarn over question

tokmom
01-04-2009, 08:22 PM
I feel dumb asking this question. I understand what a yarn over is and I 'get' that part.
When I go to knit the next row, I just knit the yarn over, correct? I practiced doing a swatch but didn't know what to do with that big ol loop.:teehee:
If it adds an extra stitch, right? I'm assuming patterns do account for that?

Nanaof6
01-04-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm knitting a basic triangular shawl . I'm using the Diagonal Dishcloth pattern, or at least the increase part. It starts off cast on 4sts,
row1:knit
row2:increase in each sts front and back 8sts
row3:knit
row4:k4,yo,knit to the end of the row

from there to make the shawl I just keep repeating row 4 until I have the length I want.
I am using circulars ,so when I get to the end of row 4 I just knit the yo (the big loop)I take my working needle and go back to the beging of row 4 and start again with ,k4,yo ,knit to the end of row. It does increase as I go, but I only am doing one yo and that is at the start of the row 4.

It's working ,I hope this answered your question.

tokmom
01-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Yes, it did, thanks! It just seems rather weird to knit a YO. Usually when I make them, it's not intentional.:rofl:

Good luck with your shawl!:)

Plantgoddess+
01-04-2009, 10:28 PM
YO's are a decorative increase most often. They are used a lot in lace designs because they leave a hole in your knitting. You will most often knit or purl the yo in the next row.

tokmom
01-04-2009, 11:32 PM
YO's are a decorative increase most often. They are used a lot in lace designs because they leave a hole in your knitting. You will most often knit or purl the yo in the next row.

Thanks, it worked. I'm so proud of myself:mrgreen: . Such a simple stitch, but it's been one I have been avoiding.