PDA

View Full Version : need opinions on sock yarns!

galadriel
01-05-2009, 01:55 PM
I am knitting a baby gift for a friend and want to make her 5 pair of baby socks. I have made one already with the basic "baby" yarn. My friend is really into natural things and the "green" movement and i would like to make some baby socks with an earth-friendly yarn or something like that. I have seen some but I am new to knitting socks and I am not sure what yarns are really good for that and it also has to be soft enough for a baby. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would really appreciate it, thanks!

newamy
01-05-2009, 02:34 PM
I've only knit a few pair of socks but my favorite for both softness and quality is Lornas Laces. They have a new Green Line...but I haven't seen it locally. One skein of their yarn is rather speedy but you could probably get quite a few baby socks out of one skein or make a matching hat.
You might also look at Blue Moon Fiber Arts, socks that rock yarn.. they are on line. They are very popular too, though I haven't used it myself.

Abbily
01-05-2009, 03:06 PM
I just got my first skein of Socks That Rock for Christmas. I haven't knitted it yet, but I wound it into a ball last night and just petted it a bit. :) It's LOVELY, soft and wonderful.

linknit41
01-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Abbily, i *love* 'pet' your yarn!! linknit41

linknit41
01-05-2009, 08:20 PM
ooops, i meant to say i love that you pet your yarn! my hands got ahead of my brain. linknit41

knit4u
01-07-2009, 09:17 AM
I like using Sockotta or Happy Feet,both by Plymouth Yarn..
Veronica

Newbie2Knitting
01-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Big fan of Knit Picks sock yarns. They knit up nicely and are very cost friendly.

galadriel
01-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Big fan of Knit Picks sock yarns. They knit up nicely and are very cost friendly.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! I checked out the socks that rock and I absolutely love the yarn! unfortunatly, it's a little pricey for this specific project but i will be ordering some yarn to make socks for myself!! The knit picks yarn may work perfect for me so thanks to everyone for your replys, its been great to check out all of the websites and see what fibers everyone else loves!

sue in canada
01-09-2009, 05:21 PM
I also liked using Sockotta and it washes so well and can be put in the dryer. On this site it is recommended for baby items.

http://theknitter.com/sockotta1.html

There is also bamboo sock yarn which I am sure is very soft, but I have not used any.