PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take for Knitpicks to ship!!!?

utcarsons
01-06-2009, 03:04 PM
I am just dyin over here checking my order status... I ordered my Harmony set on Friday and still nothing... currently processing. How long does this usually take? I thought they would ship Fri or Sat... was shocked when they didnt ship yesterday, and if they dont ship today, Im gonna :hair: I have all kind of things here sitting around waiting for circular needles!

Jodie

Lieuvena
01-06-2009, 03:28 PM
I placed an order with them on 12/22 and they shipped it 12/23. I received it a week later.

I placed another order on Sun, 1/4 and it is still pending. I'm thinking maybe they don't ship out on the weekends and they are getting caught up. I'm not sure though.

suzeeq
01-06-2009, 03:32 PM
They just sent out a new catalog, so may be behind in processing orders now.

dairywife
01-06-2009, 03:34 PM
I placed an order on 12/31 (early morning) and expected it to ship on that day. I checked status on Friday 1/2 and it was on-hold. When I called customer services she didn't know why it was on hold, the only odd thing she saw was that I requested a catalog in the notes area of the order. She said someone put my order on hold because catalogs are shipped seperate and the new catalog will not be out for another two weeks. She released my order, it shipeed that day. I am not one to have patience so I always pay a little extra for three day shipping. it should be here tomorrow!!!!!:woohoo:

The one time I did not pay for three day shipping it took 3 days to ship and then 14 days before the mail man brought it.

suzeeq
01-06-2009, 03:42 PM
I think if you put any sort of note in the comments section, it gets set aside so that can be attended to, rather than being placed immediately. It should have been released sooner, though.

Jan in CA
01-06-2009, 03:51 PM
I've found them a little on the slow side, but it always gets here eventually.

utcarsons
01-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Guess I should just start a scarf then... poo. Thanks for the info! If it doesnt ship today, Im callin!

Jodie

Jax3303
01-06-2009, 04:23 PM
I usually have my orders in my hands 2 days after placing the order.

mimi
01-06-2009, 05:14 PM
I placed an order 1/3 and the current status is "pending." Patience.

LadyFirelyght
01-06-2009, 05:14 PM
It usually takes me about a week to receive my orders.

SBG
01-06-2009, 05:17 PM
I've found it to be very inconsistent. I've had orders ship on the same day, and some that just sat there pending for days and days. I'm waiting on some nickel plated DPNs now that have been pending for a few days and still haven't shipped.

luvmykid28
01-06-2009, 05:55 PM
i place an order on 12/28 and it just shipped on 1/5. I wish I had paid extra for the 3 day shipping. Oh well, maybe this is some sort of lesson in patience. :tap: But it's hard especially since my husband tried to order them for me for Christmas, Only prob was that they were closed due to the bad weather.

dairywife
01-06-2009, 06:34 PM
i place an order on 12/28 and it just shipped on 1/5. I wish I had paid extra for the 3 day shipping. Oh well, maybe this is some sort of lesson in patience. :tap: But it's hard especially since my husband tried to order them for me for Christmas, Only prob was that they were closed due to the bad weather.

Good luck with that lesson on patience. I failed a long time ago. It may take me weeks to make up my mind about what it is I "can't" live without or "must have".; but once I decide and order it, I want it NOW. So, to save the additional "stress" (clearly self inflicted) I use three day.:aww:

luvmykid28
01-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Good luck with that lesson on patience. I failed a long time ago. It may take me weeks to make up my mind about what it is I "can't" live without or "must have".; but once I decide and order it, I want it NOW. So, to save the additional "stress" (clearly self inflicted) I use three day.:aww:

Next time...I will for sure, especailly with Knit Picks.

utcarsons
01-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Next time...I will for sure, especailly with Knit Picks.

No kidding...Me TOO! Of course, that could mean that it still sits in the pending pile for 3 days THEN gets shipped 3 day... I am far too impatient for this place. Too bad you cant get these needles anywhere else or I would have.

Maybe it was a mistake after all. Ive read the problems about breaking tips with the Harmony over at Ravelry and how they are good about sending out replacements, but how long must THAT take?

Jodie

heatherg23
01-06-2009, 10:27 PM
I got mine in 4 -5 days even with this past New Years being a holiday. Pretty fast now that I think of it. (I ordered it a few days after christmas)

suzeeq
01-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Yabbut jax, you're in the same state as their warehouse. When I lived in MI I'd get orders in about 5 days.

And paying for faster shipping doesn't necessarily means it leaves the warehouse faster, just means the shipping method is faster.

remclave
01-07-2009, 08:18 AM
I am just dyin over here checking my order status... I ordered my Harmony set on Friday and still nothing... currently processing. How long does this usually take? I thought they would ship Fri or Sat... was shocked when they didnt ship yesterday, and if they dont ship today, Im gonna :hair: I have all kind of things here sitting around waiting for circular needles!

JodieI received an email from them that they are really post-holiday backlogged on emails and orders and that if you haven't heard from them in five days then call them....

Jaxhil
01-07-2009, 12:04 PM
My order got placed on the first and mailed on the 6th. Who knows *when* I'll get it!! Soon I hope!!

Usually they are pretty quick, considering the free shipping. I think its just bad timing for me~ordering on a holiday that coincides with a weekend~well, that's a long wait for sure! Oh well :nails:

Craw
01-07-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm so glad I read this. I was just about to place an order with them but think I'll wait till they get caught up over there. The last order I placed was on 12/22 and I got it on 12/29. That was also the FIRST order I'd ever placed with them and if they hadn't shipped pronto I would have been less likely to order from them again.

utcarsons
01-07-2009, 12:55 PM
I called yesterday and was assured it would ship yesterday. It didnt. I was planning on ordering some yarn from them too, but will reconsider paying more at my LYS now... Nothing I ordered was indicated to be backordered and I have gotten no email from them stating that changed or to expect delays as the previous poster. Im very disappointed.

Jodie

Jan in CA
01-07-2009, 01:05 PM
They are reliable, but I never order from them if I'm in a hurry. For the prices they charge I figure I can't complain too much.

ETA - I don't think the shipping info is always updated right away either. I've found that for USPS and others, too.

MAmaDawn
01-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Mine usually has shipped with in a day or so and is at my house within a week after that at the most....

suzeeq
01-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Yep, they really are a good company to deal with. Don't be so impatient you guys, it used to take weeks to get something mailorder.

crazykntter83
01-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Mine were ordered on 12/19, shipped 12/22, and got them 12/27. I know it sucks that it's taking forever, but believe me, they're well worth it. Hope it gets to you soon! :)

dairywife
01-07-2009, 04:14 PM
I called yesterday and was assured it would ship yesterday. It didnt. I was planning on ordering some yarn from them too, but will reconsider paying more at my LYS now... Nothing I ordered was indicated to be backordered and I have gotten no email from them stating that changed or to expect delays as the previous poster. Im very disappointed.

Jodie

Sometimes I have noticed the "order status" is not updated but the order shipped. Example, order placed on 1-2-09, checked on 1-3-09 and still said pending, checked on 1-5-09 and the site stated shipped on 1-2-09. Received today!!!:woot:

utcarsons
01-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Well I hope you are right and it just hasnt been updated. I placed my order the same day (1/2/09) and it STILL says pending. I am calling tomorrow AGAIN and if they cant give me some explanation as to why it hasnt shipped, Im cancelling and I will go buy some Denise needles locally. I understand that once its out of their hands, it is what it is. But frankly, I think there is any excuse for putting on your website that you try and fill orders within 24 hours and then not shipping for 5 days. How much time does it take to pack an order in a box, I mean that is what they DO right?

Jodie

LadyFirelyght
01-08-2009, 12:58 AM
Well I hope you are right and it just hasnt been updated. I placed my order the same day (1/2/09) and it STILL says pending. I am calling tomorrow AGAIN and if they cant give me some explanation as to why it hasnt shipped, Im cancelling and I will go buy some Denise needles locally. I understand that once its out of their hands, it is what it is. But frankly, I think there is any excuse for putting on your website that you try and fill orders within 24 hours and then not shipping for 5 days. How much time does it take to pack an order in a box, I mean that is what they DO right?

Jodie
You can't exactly expect 100% efficiency during the holiday season, though. You have to allow for errors and set-backs. Things get CRAZY during the holidays, so it's understandable that it could take longer.

suzeeq
01-08-2009, 01:18 AM
And it really is a small company. Not like the one I work for that has about 20+ warehouses all over the country and has 2 fulltime shifts at each one working to send out orders.

Jan in CA
01-08-2009, 02:16 AM
You're waiting for Options? I can understand your frustration, but I really don't see it as a problem yet. Although some people have said they go their orders fast many of us have experienced slow orders. The needles are worth the wait IMO. :shrug:

mimi
01-08-2009, 10:29 AM
I bet once you get your order you will fall in love and forget all the frustration of waiting. I did.

Ellieblue
01-08-2009, 11:54 AM
I live in Vermont and my orders usually arrive within a week and They are the only company that I have found that only charge a max of $3.99 for shipping. CVan't beat a deal like that.

dairywife
01-08-2009, 12:02 PM
You're waiting for Options? I can understand your frustration, but I really don't see it as a problem yet. Although some people have said they go their orders fast many of us have experienced slow orders. The needles are worth the wait IMO. :shrug:

I agree, I would hate for you to settle on needles. I love my options, they are worth the wait. (And as I have mentioned I am not a patient person) The company stands by their products and customer service is good. I am hoping you get your needles soon, you will love them.

luvmykid28
01-08-2009, 12:11 PM
You can't exactly expect 100% efficiency during the holiday season, though. You have to allow for errors and set-backs. Things get CRAZY during the holidays, so it's understandable that it could take longer.

Hey Jodie, I agree with LadyFirelyght. I called yesterday to make sure mine was shipped. It was plus they told me they were closed for a week of Christmas due to bad weather (as I already knew form my DH). The holidays are busy enough without have to add the pile up from being closed. We must all be patient and our fabulous needles will come. I know they will be worth the wait. I placed my order on 12/28 so I've been waiting longer.

IMO - This thread needs to close, iI think it's causing many of us to get worked up more than we normally would. It did me, for a bit until I called. The customer service reps are so friendly and seem to be getting a lot of calls.

Cynamar
01-08-2009, 04:34 PM
It pretty much says processing until you get your box and then it has a tracking number.

utcarsons
01-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Im glad you had a good experience. I had a good experience the first time I called and was told they would definitely ship that day. When I called today (2 days later), my rep was actually borderline rude, but I did finally get a shipping notice. So kudos to the first gal for being nice and kudos to the second gal for actually getting something done.

If they had let shoppers know they were behind, many of us would have gladly paid the extra for faster shipment, but there was no indication on the website, order form, or even a note on the order confirmation or followup email. In fact, the first gal didnt even say anything about being backed up... ?? I think it would be reasonable to expect an email stating that shipping was behind from a company that is primarily mail order.

TrishL1975
01-08-2009, 07:51 PM
So, maybe they're caught up? I ordered a set of Options last night, (1/7) and got a shipping notice tonight - less than 24 hours later.

We'll see how it goes - I didn't pay for expedited shipping, so I'm not all anxious about it.

utcarsons
01-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Oh sure! Rub it in! :verysad: Haha! Im glad they actually shipped mine before I got really annoyed and cancelled (cause I did really want those darned needles!!!). Here's to hoping they got all caught up! :clink:

suzeeq
01-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Paying more for faster shipping doesn't mean the order processes faster. Just that the shipping method is.

TrishL1975
01-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Now that I think about it....

Wouldn't expedited shipping require more pre-shipping processing?

While I'm normally a "now, NOW NOW" person, my recent buys on eBay and other e-tailer have generally made it in 2-3 days with regular shipping from as far away as California, so I stuck with the free shipping.

Then again, I don't have a project waiting for these needles, either.

utcarsons
01-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Got my tracking info, estimated in home 1/17... ordered 1/2... :verysad: I am glad it finally shipped, but honestly I think that is some crazy awful turnaround time for a mail order company. If I had been lucky enough to find them on ebay or somewhere else, I would likely have them today if not yesterday.

I honestly hoped they would ship these older, been sitting around for a week, orders priority mail to make up a bit of time. My order was over $100, so they wouldnt be out much on the order... oh well, now to wait for our ever agonizingly slow standard federal mail service. I may forget how to knit before these needles come.

Jodie

LadyFirelyght
01-09-2009, 11:44 AM
It's really not all that bad of a turn-around when you factor in holiday traffic.

But seriously, don't let this one slow experience put you off of Knit Picks. They're a great company to deal with and other than the holidays, they ship quite quickly.

Wench
01-11-2009, 10:56 PM
I have to agree, KnitPicks is really a great company to deal with. I've ordered from them many times in the past, and even though I'm all the way in MA, my stuff usually gets here in a more than reasonable amount of time. I think the recent slowness is a combination of the holidays and absolutely AWFUL weather across most of the country, and is very unusual for KnitPicks. I know it's hard when you want your needles and yarn and whatnot NOWNOWNOW, but they are just one small company, and as much at the mercy of the postal service as any of us.

On a slightly different, but related note, has anyone noticed that the USPS works at different speeds in different parts of the country? For example, if I mail a letter in Boston that's going to Cambridge, the next town over, it's there the next day. If I mail a letter in Chicago that's going to Oak Lawn, the next town over, it takes almost a week. What is THAT about?

utcarsons
01-12-2009, 02:29 PM
I think the post office just likes to keep us on our toes and guessing. Often a package to my mom in Maryland takes 2 days and just as often 2 weeks... Im sure its related to their trucks and when they leave and which one they get on...

On that note though, can anyone tell me how Knitpicks usually ships? I have the "smartpost" tracking info, but I dont know what that means? Is it one of the combo shipping things? For some reason, we have the worst luck with FedEx (anything but overnight type shipping) around here. Me and several of my friends have had packages delivered to the wrong address even! Not so responsive on fixing those problems either. One of the people who received my package called me and Fedex to redeliver and it took them a week to pick it up and 3 more days to deliver it to me... UGH! Maybe its just this area...

strawberry
01-12-2009, 02:51 PM
I had to call and see what the hold up was on my order of yarn. They had no reason for me so better check it out.
Strawberry

TrishL1975
01-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Got my tracking info, estimated in home 1/17... ordered 1/2... :verysad: I am glad it finally shipped, but honestly I think that is some crazy awful turnaround time for a mail order company. If I had been lucky enough to find them on ebay or somewhere else, I would likely have them today if not yesterday.

I honestly hoped they would ship these older, been sitting around for a week, orders priority mail to make up a bit of time. My order was over $100, so they wouldnt be out much on the order... oh well, now to wait for our ever agonizingly slow standard federal mail service. I may forget how to knit before these needles come.

Jodie

Jodie, ugh! My estimate in-home is 15 Jan, and I ordered waaay after you did. D'you think it might be the extras you ordered? I only got a set of Options.

As an aside, I dislike FedEx - they don't seem to update as often as the USPS or UPS.

I'm having the same issue with another company I ordered from - someone who ordered on 08 Jan got his shipment on 10 Jan, and my order on 09 Jan is still processing, not shipped yet.

No real advice here, just sympathy!

~Trish

Craw
01-12-2009, 06:12 PM
I just placed an order today. Let's see what the turnaround time is for me. I do not like that FedEx smartpost. A package can get to the postoffice in my area very quickly from FedEx, then I noticed it sits there for 5-7 days before the Post Office delivers it to me. What's up with that?

Tropicflower24
01-12-2009, 06:34 PM
It took 6 days to process my order, but everything came really fast..... It's worth waiting for, I promise!!!!

I got my first harmony DPNs today, and OH, I am in heaven. LOL

utcarsons
01-12-2009, 07:10 PM
I thought I had read they were getting caught up, but I dont think there ever was a rhyme or reason to which orders were late and which were not..sorry. I hope yours comes soon.

I do not at all understand these combined shipping processes they have these days. I think that is what smartpost is... Ive always found it just slows everything down much more than just standard mail, but Im sure there is some reason companies use them as many do... We definitely have a FedEx black hole here around Salt Lake (or maybe this is where they send the flunkee delivery candidates?!), so I am not holding my breath on the 1/17 estimate, especially since my needles just left Ohio this afternoon. Ive decided to spend my time trying to learn Continental...now talk about frustration :teehee: By the time those needles come, this potholder Im planning on felting should be large enough to park the grill on.. :roflhard:

utcarsons
01-14-2009, 12:56 PM
:waah: Now my order is estimated delivery on 1/19... ordered 1/2, shipped by knitpicks 1/8. The folks at knitpicks have been great in keeping me posted, but arent offering any other shipping options except the upgraded service or smartpost. Apparently SMARTPOST is actually brought across the country by camels or carrier squirrels. The extra cost of upgraded shipping kind of undoes the great price on yarn since I dont order much at a time. Note to self: Never buy anything that is to be shipped smartpost ever again... Its almost as bad as FedEx home which can get a package across the country in two short months in my experience.

Seriously, wouldnt just plain ole first class mail be quicker? Could smartpost be cheaper than that?

Plantgoddess+
01-14-2009, 01:02 PM
I find most anything I order online anymore comes smartpost. I've had it take anywhere from 3 days to a month.
My first order from KnitPicks was shipped promptly and made it as far as western Wa. and there it sat for over 3 weeks. At a month I contacted KP and they reshipped the order, I received both orders the same day less than a week later. KP was very good about it. I kept the yarn from the duplicate order and was billed for it and they sent out a authorization for me to mail the rest back. I really would have liked 2 sets of Harmony interchangeables but couldn't justify it.
I find if you go for the free or budget shipping you have to be very patient sometimes. Winter is a very difficult time for timely delivery as I found. Sometimes not only are the trucks not running but neither are the trains.

Craw
01-14-2009, 01:33 PM
That's an awful long time utcarsons. I agree, they should offer plain ol' USPS as an option. Cold weather and snow doesn't stop my mailman. :) I would have been willing to pay for Priority Mail on my package if it was offered. My order is still pending but then I hadn't expected it to ship yet with all the problems people are having lately. I figured I'd wait till Friday before I bugged them.

outdoordrea
01-14-2009, 01:41 PM
I get my orders through the US Postal Service.

suzeeq
01-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Most of their orders are shipped by USPS. However, there's been really bad weather in both the main office and where their warehouse is located. They closed the WA location for a bit due to the weather, and some days only a few people were able to make it to work. So they got very behind on processing orders and sending them out. Once they're sent, it's up to the carrier and sometimes they're slow.

The Seattle warehouse of the company I work for couldn't deliver a lot of orders, because the major highways were closed for about a week.

utcarsons
01-14-2009, 02:32 PM
The gal at Knitpicks said all orders that arent upgraded shipping are sent via Smartpost, which is basically via Fedex to the USPS. Its carried to your town (or close) via the slow boat of Fedex, then USPS makes delivery. I just literally cannot believe how SLOW the fedex end of it is and its not just the weather because its yearround. Any Fedex service other than their overnight is painfully slow. I would love to know if they really save a lot by using the Smartpost service... regular USPS seems relatively inexpensive as it is and much faster than this Smartpost version.

outdoordrea
01-14-2009, 02:49 PM
I've not heard of Smartpost until this thread. Hmm. I live in a very rural area where there is no house USPS delivery (we have to go to the PO to get our mail).

TrishL1975
01-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Jodie, did you get your order?

My estimated in-home date was 01/15, but I came home to a surprise today - my Options order!

I admit, I live in Fayetteville, NC, which is an hour from a major FedEx hub, and the USPS is pretty good on delivery from Raleigh - I also received a package shipped Priority Mail on 01/12 from California today.

Maybe it's where you live that's the issue, but I got my free-shipping order in six days.

utcarsons
01-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Nope. Nothing yet. I finally just started another scarf. I was trying to avoid it as I am dying to knit something in the round, but alas... I treated myself to some beautiful Malabrigo yesterday and started a scarf to get my mind off of my needles :) I was lucky to find a nice color locally.

Craw
01-17-2009, 01:00 PM
I emailed them twice about my order and got no response. I called and got no answer. I requested a catalog over a month ago and never got one. :tap: I am not ordering from them again unless there is some grand apology and an explanation for all this.