PDA

View Full Version : CHECK MY TRANSLATION

PHOENIXMOON
01-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Hey all,
I'm a beginner-ish to knitting and a big newbie-beginner (with a capital NEW) to translating knitting patterns. Could someone check that I have done it right prior to me knitting this?

The Pattern Is:
Cast on 22 stitches and knit 2 rows.
Now you're ready to begin the lace pattern, which is as follows.

Row 1: (RS): K all sts.
Row 2: K2, p18, k2. (Those 2 border stitches on either end will always be knit in garter stitch—their role is to keep your fabric from curling.)
Row 3: K2, (K2Tog) 3 times, (YO,K1) 6 times, (K2Tog) 3 times, k2.
Row 4: K all sts.

Repeat rows 1 through 4 until you've reached your desired scarf length or run out of yarn, whichever comes first. End by completing Row 4, and then knit 1 more row and bind off all sts.

My Translation Is:
Cast on 22 stitches and knit 2 rows.
Now you're ready to begin the lace pattern, which is as follows.

Row 1 (total 22): (start on right side as in slipknot on right needle): KNIT all stitches.
Row 2: (total 22) KNIT2, PURL18, KNIT2. (Those 2 border stitches on either end will always be knit in garter stitch—their role is to keep your fabric from curling.)
Row 3: (total 16+wrap around) KNIT2, (DECREASE)x3 times, (wrap as if to knit, but not include stitch, KNIT 1)x6 times, (DECREASE)x3 times, KNIT2.
Row 4: total 17 )KNIT all stitches.

so my knitting should actually look like: cast on, knit, knit, pattern loop (row 1 row 2 row 3 row 4), knit, cast off

Many thanks all,
~*Phoenix*~

KnitTogether
01-07-2009, 05:32 PM
For every row that you finish in your 4 row pattern, there will always be 22 stitches on your needle. So the only part that confused me is when you indicated 16+1 stitches (17) for row 3, and 17 stitches for row 4.

Row 3: KNIT2 (2 stitches), (DECREASE)x3 times (3 stitches), (wrap as if to knit, but not include stitch, KNIT 1)x6 times (12 stitches), (DECREASE)x3 times (3 stitches), KNIT 2 (2 stitches).

2+3+12+3+2=22

Row 4: Knit all stitches on needle (22 total)

PHOENIXMOON
01-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Hey all,
Knit Together -Where did you get all those stitches from? Is it me just having really bad maths? Decrease means 'knit 2 stitches together', therefore =1 stitch per decrease.

so my totalling is (st=stitches):
Row 3: KNIT2 (2st), (DECREASE)x3 times (3st), (wrap as if to knit, but not include stitch, KNIT 1)x6 times (1wrap+ 6st), (DECREASE)x3 times (3st), KNIT2 (2st)

2+3(+1wrap)+6+3+2=16(17 with wrap)

Or is there 6 wraps? It looks like there is 6 wraps and 6 knits from your workings...

How does the wraps and knit bit work?
Is it wrap1, knit1, wrap1, knit1 OR wrap6 knit6?

Knitting is scary!:hiding: And patterns are in knittish that I dont understand!:wall: :hair: :waah:

~*Phoenix*~

KnitTogether
01-07-2009, 05:56 PM
You will do a yarn over, knit 1 (you call it a wrap, I'm calling it a yarn over), and do it in that order, 6 times. So your 6 stitches will become 12. That is written (YO, K1) 6 times. So they want you to do what is between the parentheses, in that order, 6 times.

If they wanted you to do 6 yarn overs and then knit 1, they would write something like YO (6 times), K1. Or, if they wanted you to do 1 wrap and knit 6 stitches, they would write: YO (K1) 6 times. Where the pattern puts the parentheses makes all the difference.

I hope that helps!

PS: What is really good is how you are reading the pattern, checking it, making sure you understand, and then proceeding. I sometimes will jump in, and then get stuck; if I used your method I would probably have less problems! :doh: And but for that little code in the middle of line 3, you got everything else translated correctly! Good job, I say! :)

PHOENIXMOON
01-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Hey all,
Knit Together -The world is WONDERFUL again. I UNDERSTAND!!!!! Thankyou!:muah: :woohoo: :cheering: :yay: :woot: :thumbsup: :mrgreen:
Happy me!
~*Phoenix*~
WOOPIE!!!!!

PHOENIXMOON
01-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Hey all,
I have a slight problem with this pattern, I have started a new thread called 'HELP ME!' It has attachments and explains the problem, but it is this pattern.
~*Phoenix*~