PDA

View Full Version : sock in worsted weight yarn..?

meenywu
01-09-2009, 02:59 PM
I want to learn n knit sock but would like to use my worst weight yrns i already got..is there a pttern for worsted weight yrn socks,for beginner?..please let me kno..thnk you..

dustinac
01-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Here is the link to Silver's Sock class (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm)...it's for one sock on dpns but lists different weights you can use, just follow the directions for the worsted weight. :thumbsup:

Lieuvena
01-09-2009, 04:03 PM
I'm just finishing my first pair of socks using Silver's Sock class. I also used the worsted weight yarn. It was very east to follow and understand.

Mirl56
01-11-2009, 09:18 AM
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60050.html?noImages=
Here's a pattern from lionbrand. you'll need to register if you're not already, but it's free.

munchkin928
01-11-2009, 12:22 PM
I've also followed silver's sock tutorial using worsted weight yarn, and I highly recommend it. It was very easy to follow.

Woodi
01-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Last year I knit up 6 pairs of socks using Silver's tutorial. I did use sock yarn, but her instructions were very easy to follow. It was my first time doing socks. I was thrilled with the results.

Thank you Silver!

yarncharmer
01-12-2009, 09:57 AM
I'm working on my first socks right now, too. I'm using Mamabear's Tropical punch slipper socks pattern, here:
http://www.beartoes.com/patterns/tropicalpunch.html

Previously, I was trying to make the class sock from Sensational Knitted Socks, but I found it too fiddley with the little bitty sock.

Tropical punch goes quickly because you use two strands of worsted weight held together throughout and big needles. I'm only on the cuff so far, but it seems to be going a lot better than my last attempt - much more relaxing, and at the end I'll actually have a usable item (hopefully!)

Good Luck!

dustinac
01-12-2009, 10:12 AM
I'm working on my first socks right now, too. I'm using Mamabear's Tropical punch slipper socks pattern, here:
http://www.beartoes.com/patterns/tropicalpunch.html

Previously, I was trying to make the class sock from Sensational Knitted Socks, but I found it too fiddley with the little bitty sock.

Tropical punch goes quickly because you use two strands of worsted weight held together throughout and big needles. I'm only on the cuff so far, but it seems to be going a lot better than my last attempt - much more relaxing, and at the end I'll actually have a usable item (hopefully!)

Good Luck!

This is a great pattern and what I started my mom off on when she was learning to knit socks. I make these every Christmas 'cause people request another pair or drop hints that they need another pair :rofl:

Mike
01-12-2009, 10:51 AM
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60050.html?noImages=
Here's a pattern from lionbrand. you'll need to register if you're not already, but it's free.
I can't get the link to open right now but if that's the pattern(s) I'm thinking of they have major issues. If I'm remembering right the problem shows up at the gusset.

Plantgoddess+
01-12-2009, 10:49 PM
I had no problem with the link and read through the pattern. It has no problems that I can see. It was revised 9/06 so maybe you haven't seen it since the revision. It looks like a great sock to start on.

jcmom
01-13-2009, 12:04 AM
Here's a great site that has all sorts of patterns listed by yarn weight. http://www.socknitters.com/sockpatterns/misc.htm

Mike
01-13-2009, 03:16 AM
I had no problem with the link and read through the pattern. It has no problems that I can see. It was revised 9/06 so maybe you haven't seen it since the revision. It looks like a great sock to start on.

With first needle, knit across 12 sts of heel, pick up and k 12 sts along side of heel flap, M1 between heel flap and next (instep) needle, with second needle, work 20 sts across 2 instep needles, with third needle, M1 between instep needle and heel flap, pick up 12 sts along remaining side of heel flap, work across 19 sts of heel flap – 58 sts. Place marker for beg of rnd.
Dec Rnd K 17, k2tog, k 20, k2tog, k 17.
Knit 1 rnd.
Rep last 2 rnds until 40 sts remain.

It opens for me now, they must've been busy the other day.

You can't repeat the rounds because you're decreasing.
You should K2tog one side and SSK the other side (or at least that's what I like to do so I get a mirror image).
"work across 19 sts of heel flap" is wrong. After M1, picking up 12 you should knit 6 and place the marker. That is your 19 per side.
I also find decreasing at the end of the needles give a hole (which I have on the first socks I made with this pattern).

It should be, "k to last 3 stitches, K2tog, k20, SSK, k to marker.
K1 rnd.
Rep last 2 rnds until 40 sts remain"

I think the toe is also written like that, but it starts you off right unlike the "work across 19 sts".

If you have ever made a sock these things may be second nature.
If you've never made a sock it probably won't work. I only noticed because I had made crochet socks, but I had no idea what knitted socks required.
The person who helped me on this forum said they emailed them about it and they've never changed it.

yarncharmer
01-13-2009, 10:04 AM
This is a great pattern and what I started my mom off on when she was learning to knit socks. I make these every Christmas 'cause people request another pair or drop hints that they need another pair :rofl:
Dustinac,
One of the reasons I decided to try this sock is because I'd searched some old posts and saw that you had made this for several people for gifts and that they always asked for more... a great recommendation in my book! I've started on the heel flap - so far so good!

The.Knitter
01-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Last January when I started knitting socks I used Silver's Sock tutorial and it was so easy to follow that I now can make any kind of socks. It teaches you all the basics, gives you several sizes and yarn weights, has step by step instructions and pictures. Easy!!! Good luck!