PDA

View Full Version : Does this pattern seem right? (And a few more questions)

tigersagg
01-14-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm knitting a version of the Irish Hiking Hat. A cabled piece.

After an inch of K2 P2 ribbing, the pattern is this:

Row 1: (RS) *K2, P2, K6, P2* repeat from * to end.
Repeat row 1 for a total of seven rows.
Row 8. (RS) *K2, P2, C6F, P2* repeat from * to end
Repeat these 8 rows for 5 inches, ending on row 7.

Does that look right to you? Maybe it's because I'm not used to knitting in the round yet, but how can row 1 and row 8 both be the RS? Wouldn't the odd rows be the RS if row 1 is the RS?
I'm assuming here that row = round, right?
And how will it look all cabled if I'm only cabling every 8th row?

Also, when I C6F in the round, do I hold the cable needle in the actual round...like, in the circle my needle cable makes, or outside the circle? (Does that make sense?)

Now, on to the decreasing...

On Row 9 of the decreasing, it says:

Row 9: move first stitch to last stitch to maintain purl decreases...

So do I just slip that first stitch from my left needle to my right needle so it'll be the last stitch on the next round?
Or do I have to somehow physically turn my work around or something? :lol:

Thank you!

Abbily
01-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Since you're knitting in the round, you'll always be knitting on the right side. So yes, the pattern does sound right. I've noticed that a lot of knitting patterns *sound* like they couldn't possibly work until you actually knit them... then suddenly they make sense. :) C6F (probably) means to slip 3 stitches to a cable needle (or dpn, stitch holder, or whatever you want to use), hold them to the front (towards the outside of the circle, not the inside) and knit the next 3 stitches, then knit the 3 on the holder, then go on with the pattern. It's a bit awkward, but keep at it. Even though you're only cabling on row 8, it will look right.

MMario
01-14-2009, 05:21 PM
I agree with Abbily regarding the questions answered.

In regards to the decrease rounds - yes, just slip the first stitch so that it becomes the last sitch of the round.

tigersagg
01-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Thank you! I really have to learn to trust the patterns again! :lol:

Abbily
01-14-2009, 05:58 PM
No matter how many times I 'learn' that lesson, I still have trouble trusting the patterns. :)

wezyus
01-15-2009, 06:01 AM
Does it mean that when knitting in round, we hve only right side to knit , no knitting on wrong side just when using straight needle.isont know it as i hvnt yet knit on round ..thnks

Abbily
01-15-2009, 11:46 AM
wezyus- yup, that's what it means. When knitting in the round, you only knit on the outside of the tube, around and around and around.