PDA

View Full Version : A THEORY REGARDING KNITTING

PHOENIXMOON
01-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Hey All,
Just a thought that had entered my mind. Two questions:
1. What did you do (wool, craft related) before you began to knit?
2. To those who can knit with thin needles -can you eat with chopsticks?

~*Phoenix*~

saracidaltendencies
01-15-2009, 12:57 PM
I don't really remember what I did before I began knitting...Kinda like when you become a parent: you wonder what on earth you did with your time before you had kids :teehee:

I know I have always written, whether short stories, or more often, poetry. I dabbled in photography but didn't get more serious about it until the past couple years. I made jewelry for a short time, mainly beaded bracelets...I know there are other things, I just honestly don't remember what!

And yes, I can eat with chopsticks, however, that wasn't something I really picked up on until after I became a knitter :teehee:

Mike
01-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Do you want just wool related or any craft related?
I crocheted before I knit.
Any craft related would be too long to list. My profession is goldsmith.

Yes I can eat with chopsticks but I don't like to knit with thin needles, about #3US is my limit.

Luvmyrottnboy
01-15-2009, 01:26 PM
Before I started knitting my second job was teaching group exercise. I worked in 2 gyms teaching regular and step aerobics, muscle conditioning and cardi kickboxing. I LOVED it. I was in to my 50's and really kicking butt.

My mother started developing Alzheimers in 2004 and as her condition worsened I had to be home (I lived downstairs from her)with her more. I had to give up teaching weeknight evenings so I took up crochet, which quickly morphed to knitting.

By early 2006 I had to give up teaching on weekends as she could not ever be left on her own. Cyrus and I moved upstairs to care for her and by then ALL of my activities had stopped: the gym, socializing, even having a peaceful cup of coffee in the mornings.

Knitting saved me. I couldn't do much as she was a handful! I dropped her of to daycare every morning and picked her up after work. After dinner, if I was lucky and she was calm I could knit a little. But looking forward to those few rows, looking forward to a new yarn delivery gave me such peace and happiness.

Mom's in an ALF now bt my knitting obsession is still with me:)

I can knit with thin needles but I am lousy with chopsticks!

evona
01-15-2009, 01:30 PM
I dabbled in a bunch of things before knitting, but nothing really wool or yarn related. I sewed, made cards, made bath salts and powders, lots of little crafty things with my kids as they were growing up. I also wrote, but I haven't done much of that in the last few years. I've always wanted to learn ceramics, but haven't as of yet. Maybe I'll take a class soon ;)

Yes, I can eat with chopsticks, but I have been able to for many years before I started to knit. :)

dreamsherl
01-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Before I began knitting, I sewed. I began sewing in high school. I also dabled a bit in crochet.
As for your second question, I can use the US0 and US1 needles. i can also eat with chop sticks. :mrgreen:

Jan in CA
01-15-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm not good with chopsticks, but I can knit with small needles. I prefer them a little larger though.

Many years ago I used to crochet and sew, but I prefer knitting.

OffJumpsJack
01-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Immediately before knitting I was crocheting but before that I wasn't doing any craft type stuf.

I did build a water rocket launcher (I started a thread about it on the "Off Topic Discussions" forum.

Then I wanted to build a bamboo frame work dome to go over our pool, but my DW wouldn't let me start that until I had some home repairs finished... Now it is too cold to do those repairs. :shrug:

So now I make hats, scarves, dish clothes and what-not out of yarn. :)

--Jack

P.S. Oh, before children, DW and I would go bowling and I think we once-upon-a-time also saw movies in those building that are made to show movies. I forget what they are called now... ;)

--Jack

saracidaltendencies
01-15-2009, 03:35 PM
You guys reminded me of another...lol...I used to sew as well. Well, cross-stitch, really, and some minor quilting. I can't believe I forgot about that one considering I used to work in a quilt store! :eyes: haha

Abbily
01-15-2009, 04:36 PM
I did (still do) quilting, cross-stitch and sewing. Yes, I can eat with chopsticks. :)

Tropicflower24
01-15-2009, 05:25 PM

Hmm.... What did I do?!?! Idk... I colored in coloring books...... crocheted...... watched PBS.... And did school work..... (I started knitting 7 years ago, when I was still extremely young.

I can knit on thin needles. I am currently knitting on size 0's for some baby booties. And yes, i do eat with chopsticks. I've done that before I even knew what a DPN is though. :teehee:

KnitTogether
01-15-2009, 10:34 PM
I crocheted before I knitting, and did some embroidery and limited plastic canvas work. I could use chopsticks; I don't like using small needles too often because it takes so long to get the project done!

mwhite
01-15-2009, 10:51 PM
Hey All,

~*Phoenix*~

Fix a cup of coffee, relax!

OOPS! I didn't read that right!

Was a professional seamstress and patternmaker, drawn from my love of sewing for over 30 years!

Tiny needles are not a problem but my DGD and I like to sword fight with chopsticks! :teehee:

DJBug
01-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Let's see....once upon a time (before children) I did alot of cross-stitch. Also dabbled in scrapbooking, sewing, and misc. crafty-type stuff, which I still do on occasion with the kids. More recently, my time was spent on logic puzzles and mindless computer games (think HOURS and HOURS spent playing solitaire-type games :shrug: ). At least with knitting I'm now accomplishing something!

I have yet to knit on small needles, but I've been known to eat just about anything with chopsticks (used to make a point of using them all the time in high school, when that kind of thing would impress people....:teehee: )

Marria
01-16-2009, 12:16 AM
Hey All,

~*Phoenix*~

1. I crocheted before I learned to knit. I also like to draw and when i was a kid, I was obsessed with my Fashion Plates toy (http://www.retroland.com/pages/retropedia/toys/item/2585/) (did anyone else who grew up in the 80s have a set?) I loved to make my own paperdolls with their own outfits. I tried to sew a little, but I was never too good at it. I still enjoy sketching and working with colored pencils.

2. I can knit with thin needles--the smallest I've used is size 0s for socks. And I can eat with chopsticks although I definitely had to be taught how. I actually enjoy it now because it forces me to slow down when I'm eating and savor my food more.

Doodknitwit
01-16-2009, 12:22 AM
cross stitch, got my degree while I raised a family, made jewelry, work full time, Hospice volunteer

:blooby: :happydance: :woohoo:

Knitting_Guy
01-16-2009, 12:26 AM
Hey All,

~*Phoenix*~

1. Wood burning. Not a good thing in a truck LOL

2. Why yes, I am very good with chopsticks. I own several pairs and never go anywhere without a pair.

Marria
01-16-2009, 12:29 AM
Mason-did you customize your chopsticks with woodburning? :teehee:

evona
01-16-2009, 12:43 AM
oh yeah - I did used to draw, but haven't in a looong time. I like jigsaw puzzles too.

Sooooo - what is this theory?

Knitting_Guy
01-16-2009, 12:46 AM
Mason-did you customize your chopsticks with woodburning? :teehee:
No, but I do have a couple of pair that I made myself.

Mike
01-16-2009, 01:09 AM
And I can eat with chopsticks although I definitely had to be taught how. I actually enjoy it now because it forces me to slow down when I'm eating and savor my food more.
Hmmm, I use them because I can shovel it in, they do all and they're easier to clean than silverware.

gingerbread
01-16-2009, 09:02 AM
I pick up my needles a few years ago, because my daughter wanted to learn how to knit. I was crocheting then and hadn't touched knitting needles for a loooooooooooong time. So needles in hand I taught the basics knit and purl. She didn't stay with it but the bug bit me hard and now I knit all the time. I do enjoy using the smaller needles I love doing lace and socks so it does take the smaller ones.
I tried using chop sticks but not for me I guess. Maybe someday maybe not.:roflhard:

:waving:

PHOENIXMOON
01-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Hey All,
I did have a very strange 5 minutes! Hehe! My theory is: knitting is done by those who have a creative/arty-crafty streak. Thus is proven by everyone having a previous interest in creative things.
My other theory is that chopsticks and knitting needles are similar in shape. Those that can knit with small knitting needles have high dexterity, and know how to handle them. Thus can use chopsticks.

Ok, to all those academics the theory didnt really make much sense! But it was 99.9% proven correct with the responses you provided! Hehe!

~*Phoenix*~

Tropicflower24
01-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Hmm... interesting. :D But cool! You should post it on Ravelry.

Mirl56
01-22-2009, 12:18 PM
I started sewing around age 9-10 (Barbie clothes) and graduated to my own clothing. I started knitting around age 17-18. Toss in some crochet, too. At some point I dropped knitting and crochet and cross stitched for many years. 17 yrs ago, when DS was born I had to give up my sewing room so pretty much stopped sewing due to lack of space to keep the machine set up full time. Was still cross stitching like mad, until about 5-6 yrs ago started knitting again and cross stitch slowly dropped away. Now knit mostly, occassional crochet.

I can knit easily with size 0 needles, rather not go into 00 or smaller.

Don't care for chop sticks at all.

GinnyG
01-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Before becoming knitting addicted I was quilting addicted and stained glass work addicted. Sadly all my sewing and glass supplies now sit lonely and unused. I keep thinking I'll make a quilt or do a glass project, "after the next knitting pattern".

I DO eat with chopsticks:teehee:

silegose
01-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Phoenix Well I can see your point... However, Until a few years ago I never touched a needle. I do love to knit socks But I can NOT use chopsticks. May I got my dexterity from painting and using the #1 brush to do all my line work...:)