PDA

View Full Version : Knitting 2 socks at a time on DPNs

Newbie2Knitting
01-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Once upon a time I had a page bookmarked that showed how to cast on 2 socks at a time. The kicker was it showed how to do this on DPNs. I've since deleted the page from my bookmarks and can't find it. Does anyone know how to do this or could point me in that direction? I think I'd like to give it a try. Or I just feel like totally frustrating myself. :rofl:

Sunshine's Mom
01-16-2009, 03:48 PM
I've often thought of doing this, but never have. Yet. I can't see how you could make 2 socks on the same dpns. But I can see using balls of yarn and 2 sets of needles and going back and forth.

I'll keep an eye for such a thing and share if I find it.

Knit4Pie
01-16-2009, 03:54 PM
I have this article (http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/FEATextreme2in1.html) from Knitty in my bookmarks, hope it's the one you wanted!

Newbie2Knitting
01-16-2009, 04:02 PM
That's EXACTLY the page I was thinking of. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :muah:

RuthieinMaryland
01-16-2009, 07:33 PM
Hi, Newbie! :waving:

Someone was kind enough to give me the article Knit4pie posted. I also found this video showing someone actually doing it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhiXmmrQ0aQ&NR=1

Fascinating, isn't it? My next pair of socks will definitely be tried out with this method!!!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Ruthie :hug:

Newbie2Knitting
01-17-2009, 09:37 PM
That is fun to watch. Thanks for the link. :muah:

Now, to see if I can keep which stitches belong to which sock. ;)

Mike
01-17-2009, 10:28 PM
It's kind of easy to tell which stitch is coming from which side. Just check often so you don't have to tink back too far.

It's not bad if you put throw an errant stitch or swap sides for two stitches, you can use a crochet hook to fix it.
But when you flip sides and keep them flipped it's a problem. I keep my skeins in a bag that shows me which skein goes to which side.

tokmom
01-18-2009, 02:09 AM
:whoosh: I think I will need a lot of practice, but how cool is that?!

RuthieinMaryland
01-18-2009, 07:51 AM
Hi! :waving:

I am definitely going to use this method for my next pair of socks, actually my next two pair since it occured to me that while I'm getting familiar with the technique, it might be a good idea to use two different color yarns!

Then I can make a second set that matches the first set and have two pair and some practice on how to do this!

A - I can always use an extra pair of socks and
B - This way I won't be bald-headed from pulling my hair out!

Just thought I'd throw this into the mix! :)

Happy knitting,

Ruthie :knitting:

Plantgoddess+
01-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Hi! :waving:

I am definitely going to use this method for my next pair of socks, actually my next two pair since it occured to me that while I'm getting familiar with the technique, it might be a good idea to use two different color yarns!

Then I can make a second set that matches the first set and have two pair and some practice on how to do this!

A - I can always use an extra pair of socks and
B - This way I won't be bald-headed from pulling my hair out!

Just thought I'd throw this into the mix! :)

Happy knitting,

Ruthie :knitting:
I had exactly the same thought. I'm a sock addict anyway so why not make 2 different socks at once and then duplicate. Except doesn't that get you back to 2nd sock syndrome times 2? :teehee:

Jaxhil
01-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Great idea! I've always wanted to try this-it just looks so impressive!!

PG-that's two funny (lol!) hehehe!

Mike
01-18-2009, 09:13 PM
We had a knit along (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75033) going for these that you might pick up some tips in.
But I seem to be the only one who stuck with it.

RuthieinMaryland
01-18-2009, 09:21 PM
I had exactly the same thought. I'm a sock addict anyway so why not make 2 different socks at once and then duplicate. Except doesn't that get you back to 2nd sock syndrome times 2? :teehee:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

You could just wear the first different colored pair and tell everyone you like them so well you're knitting another pair just like them!!!

Works for me! :clink:

Ruthie

teachermom
01-19-2009, 09:40 AM
This is awsome... I can't wait to try it. I do have a dilema - I just started a pair of toe up's last night and now I want to frog it so I can start them again with this method.... maybe I'll try a sample set in scrap yarn (Lord knows I've got plenty) to get my technique down first. Ohhhh, I'm so excited. Can't wait to get started. Need to buy chocolate or make cookies first...;) I'm gonna need it.

Thanks for sharing the links... Just when I thought I couldn't learn anymore techniques. I'm excited, I just love learning new techniques.

Plantgoddess+
01-19-2009, 01:06 PM
You could just wear the first different colored pair and tell everyone you like them so well you're knitting another pair just like them!!!

Wouldn't that be a cure for SSS if we could make it a fashion statement. I have found so many sock patterns I like that I have run out of room in my sock drawer. If I could make just one sock per pattern, I could make them all and enjoy 1 design per foot.
I like it.

Mike
01-19-2009, 02:04 PM
They'll just think you're a hip kid if you were different socks.
Punky Brewster all grown up.

Doing them like this still could result in the 2nd sock thing. Your second one could be stitched different or be a different gauge from a different mood.

Newbie2Knitting
01-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Mike, I bow down to you just b/c you're able to do this. ;) And my dd would get a kick out of the Punky Brewster thing - she just discovered that show and LOVES it!

I'm in the middle of a pair of toe-up socks but for my next pair - look out!

Squirrel
02-17-2012, 06:11 PM
My daughter and indeed the whole of her tap class used to wear odd socks to tap class. Maybe I should make odd socks for her. Might need to practice socks a bit first . Have nearly finessed my very first pair of socks, toe up , two at a time on 2 circulars . Going well so far. Just got to cast off rib cuff and then do the after thought heels. Am thinking socks could be my next " addiction".

Odd socks would also be ok as camping bed socks. Going to make more of the socks am making now as perfect for hiking as no seams at all so reduces chances of rubbing