View Full Version : Knitting Abbreviation Help

01-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Hi There

I need some help! I am wanting to knit a cardigan for myself with cables. I am an experinced knitter, but I haven't knit for awhile and one knitting abbrev. has me puzzled. It is ...P2K ( insert needle from behind the running yarn between the st just made and the next st, thus putting an extra strand on the right hand needle;K2,then pass the extra strand over the 2 knit sts.)
What is the running yarn? Am I making an increase or decrease? Is it like M1? I have problems with the "from behind the running yarn between the st just mase and the next st..." Can you help me?


01-25-2009, 04:39 PM
The running yarn is the vertical piece of yarn between two stitches. When you have stitches on both needles, stop, and take a look at the part between the needles. You may have to pull down on the fabric a little to see the running yarn better. It's a vertically running yarn, the topmost.

It seems to be a decrease.

Jan in CA
01-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Never heard of it, but that's what it sounds like to me.. the M1 where you pick up the thread between stitches.

01-25-2009, 11:42 PM
It sounds like you're making both an increase and decrease. You apparently need to pick up the running yarn, as in the M1 increase, leave it there, knit the next 2 stitches, then bring the running yarn over those 2 sts you just knit. At least that's my take on it...