PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Sweater done in reverse

Lana
01-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Original pattern by Elizabeth Zimmermann.

When Jan in CA post this, http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84254 (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84254) I was intriqued.

I asked my Public Library to get the book for me. It took so long, I had the pattern worked out in my head before it arrived.

The instructions baffled me for a couple days, and then I realized I had worked out the pattern in reverse. Elizabeth started at the top and cuff edges and ended at the bottom and front edges. I did figured it in reverse.
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z243/buklup2/ctmpphp51S8B3.jpg
bk view
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z243/buklup2/ctmpphpnpSbvg.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z243/buklup2/ctmpphpkggbrj.jpg

Lana
01-25-2009, 07:46 PM
I used some old 75%cotton/25% acrylic Aunt Lydia's Quick Crochet yarn, from my stash.

the cute buttons
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z243/buklup2/ctmpphp1CXu73.jpg
and what it looked like before finishing
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z243/buklup2/ctmpphpt2e4JP.jpg

mks22300
01-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Very cute, love the buttons!

suzeeq
01-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Oh, I like that better, you could do a 3 needle BO at the top of the sleeves that way. Will have to experiment. Or, if you feel like writing it up, even the basics, that would be welcome too.

miss_molly
01-25-2009, 08:40 PM
I love it! How clever you are to work it out from the bottom up... I'll be watching in case you write it up.

Your colours are perfect, as are the buttons, the neat way you've done the collar and the overall proportions. Just lovely!

I have the BSJ pattern from Schoolhouse Press and knitted a few of the jackets just for the exercise of it, and because everyone raves about them, but I must say I've had reservations about how much I actually love the style of it, as opposed to the experience of it. But your's has me wondering if maybe I ought to make another - it has much more of an up-to-date look about it.

suzeeq
01-25-2009, 08:46 PM
I was going to make one for new GD, but needed to modify the CO and everything and wasn't thrilled with sewing it together. But I may rethink this....

Lana
01-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Oh, I like that better, you could do a 3 needle BO at the top of the sleeves that way. Will have to experiment. Or, if you feel like writing it up, even the basics, that would be welcome too.
The top edge of the back sleeve is the last row knit and the top edge of the front sleeve is the selvage.
I slip stitched the seam by putting the hook into the stitch on the string on the back (being sure it wasn't twisted) and then into under the last stitch of the row between the ridges ( I call it the "bar" and the ridge I call the "knot" ) of the front sleeve selvage, repeating that the length of the seam. It was particularly challenging to get it neat looking where the tails of the color changes were.
I can figure out things much better than I can explain it.

However, the 3 needle method of binding off is one option for the sleeve seam on the surplice sweater Jan and I have posted. I grafted mine.

MOLLY
I'm not familar with the BSJ pattern, but I did enjoy this unique approach to the last two baby sweaters I made.
Are you able to work from nothing but numbers? It would take me longer to type the instructions than it took me to knit it. :aww:
This is the second baby sweater I've used those buttons on. I just love 'em. Glad someone else does too.

Marria
01-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Very nice! I love the colors you chose too--I just love it when people choose non-pastels for baby clothes. :)

Great job. :yay:

suzeeq
01-25-2009, 10:37 PM
The BSJ is short for this pattern's correct name - Baby Surprise Jacket.

KnittingNat
01-26-2009, 03:39 AM
Very very sweet:inlove: WTG on figuring out the pattern:thumbsup:

dustinac
01-26-2009, 09:18 AM
:yay: it looks great! :inlove:

WandaT
01-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Amazing! I think I do well just to read a pattern correctly - much less figure one out by looking at a picture ... BACKWARDS no less! LOL Great job!

Ben10
01-26-2009, 11:47 AM
I think it is really nice . :D

Jan in CA
01-26-2009, 01:43 PM
I love it! Great colors you used. I like it better than mine!!:thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
01-27-2009, 04:30 AM
Oh gosh! I just love this pattern! And you did a wonderful job of assigning the colors to the right places! OH and the buttons!!!!! Just right!!! You should be very very proud of this!

Is there a PDF download for this pattern? I checked Ravelry and it seems like you have to use snail-mail to send away for the pattern!
Ach. Who wants to do that?

I just gotta find a baby to knit for again.....

Debkcs
01-27-2009, 05:03 AM
That's one of the cutest BSJ's I've ever seen, and how clever of you to have worked it out for yourself!

The buttons are just too cute, may I ask where you got them?

If you ever do write the pattern, I'd love to have it.

Oh yes, you have to buy the BSJ from School House Press, and shipping is more than the pattern.

ArtLady1981
01-27-2009, 06:27 AM
That's one of the cutest BSJ's I've ever seen, and how clever of you to have worked it out for yourself!

Oh yes, you have to buy the BSJ from School House Press, and shipping is more than the pattern.

Ravelry has the pattern available for $3 fee. But I think ya have to mail away for it. I didn't see a pdf download. Shees. This IS 2009 already!

Who does snail mail for patterns anymore? Books, yes. Single patterns? Nope.

Last time I paid $5 for a poncho pattern from a gal on Ebay. The single sheet pattern arrived crumpled in the mail. :pout:
I haven't 'mailed away' for a single sheet pattern since.

Debbie
01-27-2009, 06:49 AM
Very cute!

Lana
01-27-2009, 09:09 AM

I got the buttons at Jo Ann Fabrics and Crafts. They're JHB buttons.
I had a 40% off one item coupon and hubby had one for 50% off, from the flyer that I get in the mail. I think you can also print them from their web site.
Jo Ann's runs really good sales on buttons from time to time.

About the pattern:
I live in a not so big city in agricultural America. We have a pretty nice library here. They are a member of an Inter-library Loan System. When my local library doesn't own a book I'll like to borrow, they look to see if another member library has it and, if it's available, they can get for me. Sometimes it takes quite a while.
It's a nice way to preview any book you'd like to add to your personal library. It's also nice if there is only one thing in a book you'd like to make.
The Public Library in your town might have some knitting books (or other books) on their shelves you've never seen or heard of.

I :inlove: my library. :) And YES, I do still buy books.

GinnyG
01-27-2009, 09:14 AM
I just LOVE it.

I have the DVD for BSJ and am embarressed to admit I have not even opened it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lana
01-27-2009, 09:31 AM
I just LOVE it.
I have the DVD for BSJ and am embarressed to admit I have not even opened it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GOOD GRIEF!
How could that happen???
Family emergency?
Kitchen fire??
Just won the lottery??? :teehee:

I too have some unopened DVDs, but they're bargain priced old movies.

suzeeq
01-27-2009, 11:34 AM
The pattern is also in the back of one of EZ's books, though I can't remember which one.

TEMA
01-28-2009, 12:56 AM
I absolutely love this jacket. It looks perfect for boys or girls and so neat and beautiful at the same time.
Nice Job! :thumbsup:
TEMA
:knitting:

Jaxhil
01-28-2009, 05:05 PM
That turned out fantastically! I love the color, stripes, and buttons. Very nice work :thumbsup:

MerigoldinWA
01-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Wonderful job. You must be one of the knitting geniuses in the world to figure that out so nicely. Your finished object has a retro/modern feel and the buttons are perfect. Nice job with the the colors too.

valentina
01-31-2009, 02:48 AM
Very beautiful jacket! Nice colors, too! :yay:

nonny2t
01-31-2009, 04:29 PM
Very cute!

jack05key
08-23-2013, 07:43 AM
hey i like your post which link you attached in above. If you have more thread link please share here . I am interested to read them.

:hug: