PDA

View Full Version : Love or hate charts?

jamiejeans
01-25-2009, 07:50 PM
I have been fighting with a pattern from drops that has taken me about 5 tries to even get going right (and still somehow I am messing up). I am finding that its because I am reading from charts only.

So do you love or hate them?

I can certainly tell you that I won't be rushing to make anything with a pattern that is mostly charts!

auburnchick
01-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Personally, I like them. Lace patterns get especially irritating to read when written out, but having a chart and memorizing the symbols makes the project much more efficient.

Sometimes, it just takes awhile to get used to them.

JMHO.

ThreeFish
01-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Something with charts just doesn't click with me. Hate 'em! :teehee:

Ingrid
01-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Chart lover here! I'll often make a chart out of a written pattern if it's possible.

Marria
01-25-2009, 08:26 PM
I didn't like them when I first started knitting, but for lace patterns and cables, I love them. It's easier for me to "read" my knitting if I have a chart to compare it to, and I also am less likely to lose my place in a pattern.

vaknitter
01-25-2009, 08:37 PM
I voted that I hate 'em, but honestly I propably haven't given them a fair shake. I have contemplated a couple of patterns that were via charts and I just couldn't get the symbols memorized and keep reading in a straight line back and forth. Maybe I'll put it back on my list of things to do...

globaltraveler
01-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Doesn't matter to me -- right now I've only been knitting about a month, so I can't quite picture what the chart is going to look like. In fact, I found that it was best to chart out the pattern on graph paper myself, but not so I could follow it...it was to make sure I understood how the stitches worked together, not so I could see how it would look. Sort of backward-engineering. (Sad, I know.)

I imagine that with experience, I'll be able to "see" the lace in the charts and they'll be more useful to me.

hartleystudio
01-25-2009, 08:47 PM
You need an option for "scares the bejeepers out of me and have never had the guts to try them"

That's my vote!!

suzeeq
01-25-2009, 09:03 PM
I can read charts, but I can't knit from them - too much time counting sts when I can look at the text and it say k9, k2tog, k7 YO, or whatever. Also I learned over 40 years ago and all the patterns I saw were in text. So my brain only interprets what I see from left to right.

cheley
01-25-2009, 09:44 PM
You need an option for "scares the bejeepers out of me and have never had the guts to try them"

That's my vote!! Yea, and under the option ADD "WILL NEVER TRY AGAIN"...ONE WORD...:thumbsup: SOCKS

Jeremy
01-25-2009, 10:35 PM
I really like them. As for counting the boxes, I fill in the number on the line I'm working on so I have the best of both worlds. Another trick is to use post it notes to cover everything above the line you're working on. When you work on lace, you can use the chart to help you read your knitting and check whether or not you've screwed up.

khyu777
01-25-2009, 11:39 PM
when i first got into knitting, i only looked at charts, so I love 'em!

it's kinda self-explantory, no abbreviations or any explanation really needed... so that's why i like 'em.. and i'm used to it also

Wanda Witch
01-26-2009, 12:08 AM
No like. They intimidate me. I can read directions better than seeing the stitches on a chart. Grrrrrr - aaaarrrrrggggghhhh.

Jan in CA
01-26-2009, 12:51 AM
I'm a little intimidated with them, but I've done a few simple ones. I can see their value so maybe someday..

GinnyG
01-26-2009, 06:22 AM
LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM

I find it very frustrating that often when you purchase a pattern on line it doesn't tell you if the pattern is in chart form or written out.

I think once you get comfortable with charts they are MUCH easier to follow and keep track of.

Knit4Pie
01-26-2009, 06:57 AM
I'm not too comfortable with charts, but I think it depends on the pattern. There were a couple of patterns where I did fine working from the chart, then there was a chart that I just could not manage at all. When I printed it out, it was so small that I just couldn't follow it, so I had to print it on 2 pages THAT was a pain. I ended up writing it out or I would have dropped the project.

gingerbread
01-26-2009, 08:57 AM
I love the charts for me I think I go faster with them. I won't say that I am great at them far from it, but they do make sense to me now. Where as I love doing lace now knowing how to read the charts is great. It did take time for me to understand them but once it clicks in they aren't so bad.

Scathach
01-26-2009, 09:06 AM
I voted that I hated charts, I can read them but I always seem to lose myself when I am knitting from them. Perhaps its just because I learned to knit without them and I just prefer to have my instructions written out.

dustinac
01-26-2009, 09:15 AM
:happydance: I like them...I find that it makes my knitting go faster and I don't have to stop and figure out where I am. I use a magnetic chart to hold my place and the magnets hold my place on the chart. I usually color code the chart if it has a lot of different things going on...I will also # the squares going across the bottom or top if needed...I also like that you can kinda see if you have messed up easier with the charts.

WandaT
01-26-2009, 09:15 AM
I haven't done a complete project with a chart. At this point, they intimidate me. I've always gone by written instructions, so they make more sense to me.

KnittingNat
01-26-2009, 11:12 AM
I love charts, they make it all easier! But if you're knitting a Drops pattern, don't forget it's translated from Norwegian and not very well, so you need to carefully read the translations for the chart notes and make sure you get it right.

kellyh57
01-26-2009, 11:13 AM
I'm getting more used to them. I totally make a mess out of them though! I highlight all the different stitches different colors, darken every 5th or 10th line on long rows (so I don't have to count as much), enlarge them, and write little notes on them if I have to. I'm a visual learner so it helps to see which stitch is on top of which. I would much rather see while I'm knitting the row that I'm supposed to have the knits and purls lined up rather than staggered and that I'm off by a stitch before I get to the end of the row. I think it makes it much easier to memorize if it's charted too.

Kelly

Newbie2Knitting
01-26-2009, 03:17 PM
I've been too scared to try them so far. I tell myself it probably would be easier than reading the text, esp. on a large repeat, but I just can't bring myself to dive in.

JB4Knitting
01-26-2009, 03:23 PM
I voted Love 'Em because I'm new to the whole chart business and they help me tremendously....AS LONG AS the pattern's easy to understand and the instructions are all laid out.

wezyus
01-27-2009, 02:30 AM
i like patterns with charts. for me its easy to follow my work ...even from the pattern first of all i prepared a chart n then i start a gauge before starting any works

Valpuri
01-27-2009, 07:51 AM
I really like to have both for a project. In the beginning when I try to learn a new pattern referring to the written instruction can be reassuring. Once I've learned it in principle it is much faster to check on the chart what to do next.

The system for chart symbols in some books can be confusing. I prefer a chart which shows the right side of the work and sticks to that so that e.g. an empty box on the chart means K on RS and P on WS. Some go for charting what you actually do on WS which results in a chart that looks like garter when you are supposed to knit stocking stitch.

In a book it would help a lot, if the explanations for the symbols are the same throughout and preferably printed on the inside of the cover so that they can be easily found. If not, I make a copy of the symbol explanations page. My favourite books give the symbols beside every project.

BTW is there somebody who does not need a chart for a stranded project? In my opinion a chart is just as necessary for lace.

momwolf
01-27-2009, 09:43 AM
I love and hatem because some charts are just soooooo confusing:doh:The more I use them the the easier it gets.I only use them for color knitting.Lace looks really confusing so I write those out on paper.Instead of counting in charts I just count out the boxes and write the number in the first box of the pattren I am following.I do that for the whole chart before I begin knitting.

knitpurlgurl
01-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Oddly, I really dislike knitting charts but like crochet charts (japanese crochet utilizes charts exclusively). But then again, I AM an odd duck! ;D

Knitting charts are just as hard for me to visualize as blue prints. I guess that part of my brain isn't as highly evolved as others.

Ellieblue
01-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Chart lover here! I'll often make a chart out of a written pattern if it's possible.
me too

knitpurlgurl
01-27-2009, 11:06 AM
me too

I will actually do the opposite. :aww:

knitpurlgurl
01-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Here is an example of a crochet chart. So much easier to visualize than knitting charts. :flirt:

jamiejeans
01-27-2009, 11:45 AM
omg, that crochet chart does not look easier at all! Yikes!

But its pretty

knitpurlgurl
01-27-2009, 11:52 AM
omg, that crochet chart does not look easier at all! Yikes!

But its pretty

For me it's easier because you can see a picture of how it is supposed to look and where each stitch goes in the picture. Like I said, I'm an odd duck an dI think my brain works differently than most. :shrug:

campbellmom549
01-27-2009, 12:27 PM
They're not terrible, but most certainly not my favorite. Charts for circular patterns are okay, but I'd much rather just write everything out. I'm with suzeeq, I just read better from left to right. And I am the kind of person who can draw pictures in my head from words or directions, so even with the written instructions, I can still visualize the pattern and know how the rows relate to one another.

labeelady
01-27-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm another chart lover! It's a lot easier for me to visualize the finished product from the chart. As long as the symbols are consistent from one chart to another, I have no problems with them.
It's when they substitute different symbols that causes me to keep referring to the symbol legend.

I also have no problem translating charts into written instructions (I did this for a sock pattern once for someone who had trouble with the chart).

knitpurlgurl
01-27-2009, 12:41 PM
They're not terrible, but most certainly not my favorite. Charts for circular patterns are okay, but I'd much rather just write everything out. I'm with suzeeq, I just read better from left to right. And I am the kind of person who can draw pictures in my head from words or directions, so even with the written instructions, I can still visualize the pattern and know how the rows relate to one another.

I much prefer to read left to right myself.. I like patterns in sentences. I can appreciate those who prefer knitting patterns - but I wish each pattern came with both so that whoever knits it would be happy! I'm such an idealist! :aww:

suzeeq
01-27-2009, 01:14 PM
You can actually see the pattern in the crochet chart. With a knitting chart it doesn't show as well - at least to me.

knitpurlgurl
01-27-2009, 01:32 PM
You can actually see the pattern in the crochet chart. With a knitting chart it doesn't show as well - at least to me.

Me too! :)