PDA

View Full Version : FO: John's Jacket!

ArtLady1981
01-30-2009, 05:11 PM
THE PATTERN: My own pattern, using Sweater Wizard 3.0
YARN: Elann Peruvian Highland Donegal Wool (12 skeins)
TOTAL YDS: 1308
SIZE: 44"
COLOR: Cypress
PATTERN STITCH: Faux Rib

Well, here it is, finally done! My DH likes it better than the basketweave sweater I made him in 2006! Yeah! He might even wear this one! :happydance:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3262/3239886486_182eb42609.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3088/3239846320_187a7de188.jpg?v=0
The yarn is really this color! Outside lighting faded the color a bit!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3370/3239845546_9699289fef.jpg?v=0

margz3
01-30-2009, 05:40 PM
That is just gorgeous! My DH would LOVE it (and wear it!) but I think he'd drop dead of a heart attack if I ever made anything that nice lol!!

cindycactus
01-30-2009, 05:50 PM
That is just um, I was going to say beautiful, very handsome. Very professional. You should be proud. :clink:

Debkcs
01-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Dollyce, that is exactly the kind of pattern I've been looking for. Michael can't wear pullover's because he gets to warm (due to M.S.). Are you going to sell the pattern anywhere? I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

You do such gorgeous work; do you ever tire of us saying that? :teehee:

auburnchick
01-30-2009, 06:33 PM
Oh, what a great fit! It's just perfect for him!

Phaedra
01-30-2009, 07:17 PM
You do such wonderful work! And the color --- I love green!

LadyFirelyght
01-30-2009, 07:59 PM
:inlove: Love love love love LOVE :inlove:

CraftyMel
01-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Nice Work!!! :yay: :yay:

Dimpledapple
01-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Gorgeous jacket :inlove: I'm always amazed and jealous (but in a good way!) of your knitting prowess :thumbsup:

GinnyG
01-30-2009, 09:03 PM
That is just WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!! Love it, what a professional looking piece!

evona
01-30-2009, 09:16 PM
That is so nice looking! Gosh it looks so nice and warm :inlove:

Lana
01-30-2009, 09:41 PM
ABSOLUTE PERFECTION
in every way!!!

scout52
01-30-2009, 10:39 PM
Gorgeous as always. How do you like the program? I was thinking of getting it.

Marria
01-30-2009, 10:57 PM
It looks wonderful and looks wonderful on your husband. Great work, as always! :yay:

ArtLady1981
01-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Gorgeous as always. How do you like the program? I was thinking of getting it.

Scout~

The SWEATER WIZARD is fabulous!!!

Here is something I added in my RAVELRY NOTES for my husband's
"JOHN'S JACKET" at RAVELRY (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/ArtLady/johns-jacket)

The SWEATER WIZARD 3.0 (http://www.knitpicks.com/Sweater+Wizard_AD80006.html?media=omgoogle&medid=PPCProducts&s_kwcid=sweater%20wizard%7C2841903159&gclid=CJ-H_b3X5pYCFRNOagodtDigOQ) helps a non-designer develop the basic directions for different styles of sweaters.

Here’s the approach to create a sweater:

Step one: choose a yarn
Step two: choose a 'pattern stitch' for the body and sleeves
Step three: decide on needle size for that pattern stitch
Step four: knit a 4”x4” swatch
Step five: decide upon a basic sweater style
Step six: decide upon a finished chest/bust size

Now....

With the swatch details in hand, enter the details into the Wizard and it produces a step by step pattern with schematics! It is like getting the blueprints from the architect!

The good part: in addition to the pattern stitch, there are a lot of elements you ‘design’ on your own.

For example, you decide what kind of pockets, if any. You may chose the type of closure, buttons or zipper. Etc. The style of ribbing. Cuffs. You can decide upon the collar application. You can alter the length. You get to decide the fun stuff!

The Sweater Wizard does all the math and delivers a pattern!
The Wizard builds the foundation and framework around the swatch details and the basic style choices that you entered into the “build it” steps!

Totally cool.

I 'designed' a sweater for my brother last summer. What a nightmare. It is similar to my husband's sweater, however, I had to re-knit so much of it I nearly wore out my yarn and my spirits! If I had only realized that my SWEATER WIZARD could have been my architect! I've had the software for years, but not until I had suffered through my own design did I realize what a help SWEATER WIZARD is!

RICK RYAN JACKET (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/ArtLady/rick-ryan-jacket).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3030/2801854520_027b3b19a7.jpg

I used the same pattern stitch for it and same pocket application. I learned that I do not want to block the faux rib pattern stitch. It smashes it, and lessons its texture.

Anyhoo, live and learn, huh? :shrug:

I like my husband's neckline much better than my brother's.

That is because the SWEATER WIZARD guided me through the mysterious 'neckline decreases' waters!

lelvsdgs
01-31-2009, 12:12 AM
Very handsome sweater! That software looks enticing...

Jan in CA
01-31-2009, 01:27 AM
:noway: That. Is. Awesome!!!!

valentina
01-31-2009, 02:42 AM
That is just WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!! Love it, what a professional looking piece!

I agree! It is wonderful!

ritaw
01-31-2009, 04:36 AM
Looks great on your hubby:) Lovely work . xx

WandaT
01-31-2009, 09:23 AM
WOW! Just WOW, don't know what else to say. What a classic. Incredible. I've said before, but I'll say it again ... I wanna be you when I grow up.

dustinac
01-31-2009, 10:18 AM
Great job! :yay:

starlight
01-31-2009, 11:24 AM
OMG What a talent you have! That sweater is absolutely beautiful.
I'd love to make one like that for my DH. Sewing a zipper into
a knitted piece of clothing is not easy. You did a wonderful job!

Karina
01-31-2009, 11:32 AM
What a great job you have done. your husband looks very handsome in his new jacket.

I will have to put that software on my birthday wants list.

KnittingNat
01-31-2009, 12:29 PM
It looks really good on your DH! I'm sure he'll wear it and enjoy it a lot:thumbsup:

losnana
01-31-2009, 01:18 PM
WOW!!! I'm so impressed. Everything about that sweater is perfect. You do the most wonderful work!

Jaxhil
01-31-2009, 03:18 PM
That is *such* a handsome sweater~ and hubby :mrgreen:

I really love that design, it's perfect for a man~heck, I'd like one for me too :teehee: Thanks for sharing!

btw, I want to say, your zipper insertion always looks so perfect!

OffJumpsJack
02-02-2009, 12:54 PM
In real life I go by John.

Should I be looking for a package in the mail? :oo:

And I really don't even know you... :aww:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I just couldn't resist. :)

--Jack

twoxover
02-02-2009, 02:47 PM
that is just really really gorgeous! you are such an inspiration!!

betsey

Slim
02-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Wow, it is gorgeous. Absolutely perfect. Love the color, love the styling . . . wouldn't change a thing. Fantastic work, as always.

MerigoldinWA
02-04-2009, 10:06 AM
I went over to Rav and looked in your notebook to see the pictures. For some reason KH only brought John's head in and it said it was done. Lol

This is a terrific sweater. I love green so you know I like that part. :-) What is that textured stitch called? I'm sure John will get a lot of use out of this sweater. It looks so warm and is so attractive. Zippers are nice, but I'm not overly fond of putting one in. As always the finishing touches are just right.

I recently bought Sweater Wizard 3.0. I just had Tom download it for me before he went to bed.

ArtLady1981
02-04-2009, 03:36 PM
I went over to Rav and looked in your notebook to see the pictures. For some reason KH only brought John's head in and it said it was done. Lol

This is a terrific sweater. I love green so you know I like that part. :-) What is that textured stitch called? I'm sure John will get a lot of use out of this sweater. It looks so warm and is so attractive. Zippers are nice, but I'm not overly fond of putting one in. As always the finishing touches are just right.

I recently bought Sweater Wizard 3.0. I just had Tom download it for me before he went to bed.

Hi Judy!

The pattern stitch is "faux rib". I've seen it called 'broken rib' too. You know, k1p1 across the WS, and all knits across the RS. Easy to make a mistake with the k1p1 sequencing on the WS cuz the increases at side edges change the sequence. It could also be worked at k1p1 from the RS, all purls across the WS.

You will love the Sweater Wizard. I think I included some basic steps about using it in my JOHN'S JACKET notes on Rav. I know that you will especially get tons of use out of Sweater Wizard! He is your architect! You are the designer & the builder! :teehee: Message me when you begin to use the Wizard! I'd love to hear your feedback!

John does love this jacket. He picked the cypress green color from 3 choices I had. The cypress tweed, licorice tweed, and hazelnut tweed. I thought he'd pick the hazelnut or licorice. I am so glad he picked the cypress cuz I had absolutely no idea whatsoever what I'd do with it otherwise! I can't wear that shade of green, and I don't know anyone else in my circle of fam and friends that could. Phew! :eyes:

saracidaltendencies
02-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Absolutely stunning!

knittwitt
02-06-2009, 11:24 AM
WOW! :passedout: This is one nice sweater! Are you going to sell the pattern? I would love to make one for my husband and son!!! EXCELLENT WORK!!!

ArtLady1981
02-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks knittwitt! I appreciate your kind words.

Naw, I won't be selling the pattern. The Knitting of my own design (with the aid of the Sweater Wizard as my architect) was, for the most part, easy and straight forward.

However, WRITING OUT the pattern for someone else to follow, that is waaaay out of my league. I mean WAY! :eyes:

Thanks for the vote of confidence! :hug:

globaltraveler
02-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Wow, that's great! I've been looking for something to make that my partner will actually wear (his name is John too!), and something like that might actually fit the bill! Beautiful job on it, too...hope to someday knit like you! The zipper especially is, as everyone says, beautifully done.

dewdrops
02-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Very neat-knit!!:cheering:

wezyus
02-10-2009, 12:36 AM
@ArtLady, ur hubby is lucky and he must be proud of u ...the jacket is superbbbbbbbbbbbbbbn so beautifully worn by him ....thanks for sharing ...hope to do 1 for my dear hubby, its a gr8 motivation ...thanks once more

krismorales
02-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Absolutely gorgeous. I'm with everyone else when I say that my husband might actually wear a sweater like that. However, I don't think mine would look quite as perfect. Good job.

GirlChris
02-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Gorgeous sweater. I am glad you are enjoying that sweater wizard. Sounds like it will get good use with your creative skills. He looks so handsome in it.

Jan in CA
03-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Dollyce, I had been on the fence about sweater wizard, but with that glowing recommendation I think I'll take the plunge next month! :thumbsup:

JuliannaHeiby
03-18-2009, 02:19 PM
fantastic! so professional and polished! I'd love to make something for my husband, but I don't know what he'll tolerate, since he easily gets overheated!

looking great!

ArtLady1981
03-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Yes, Jan...I wish I had used my Sweater Wizard lonnnnnng ago.
It would have saved me COUNTLESS HOURS of re-knitting and DOLLARS of new yarn purchases to get my brother's jacket done right!

If you have any questions about it's basic operation, let me know, but I do know this for sure:

FIRST: select a yarn
SECOND: decide upon a 'pattern stitch' for the body AND the ribbing, if any.
THIRD: find needle sizes that makes that pattern stitch look its best, and of course the ribbing, too.
FOURTH: knit a gauge swatch using steps 1-3

Now you're ready to enter your information into the Sweater Wizard. He will ask you certain things like for man, woman, child? chest/bust size? style? pullover? cardigan? tight fit? relaxed fit? neckline? sleeve style? dropped shoulder? modified drop shoulder? inset sleeve? tunic length? reg length? cropped? weight of yarn (you already have this info), needle size (you have this info already), gauge (you have this already). This is why you need to follow steps 1-4 above before visiting the Wizard.

The Sweater Wizard doesn't tell YOU what yarn, pattern stitch, gauge or needle. You decide that first, then he works up a blueprint for you, based on ALL the information.

Anyway, by the time you click CREATE, you've told the Wizard exactly what you want him to do for you! He delivers a blueprint for you, including schematics! He'll even tell you how many yards you need!

He is the best ARCHITECT! But you're the boss!

When I was getting ready to make John's Jacket, I had made swatches of the 3 different colors I had bought from Elann.
I made the 3 swatches in faux rib, and I was gonna show these to DH to see which color he liked best! I had already printed the Sweater Wizard info for the color HAZELNUT, cuz I was dead certain he'd pick that color! HE DIDN'T! He liked the Cypress Green, and NOT the other two colors at all!

So I started in with the jacket, using Cypress and the pattern printed up for Hazelnut...and after a while, I could see that the LEFT FRONT was way too small looking. Hmm. I was really stumped. :??

Know what the problem was? The CYPRESS GREEN swatch was a slightly different gauge than the HAZELNUT, same IDENTICAL brand yarn! Matter of fact, the 3rd color (LICORICE) also gauged slightly different from the other two!

So back I go to the Wizard. I entered the st and row gauge that CYPRESS GREEN faux rib delivered, and the blueprint that Wizard gave me was DIFFERENT!

Anyhoo, my sizing was 'right on' after that! I can't believe what a perfect fit this jacket is on my husband!

So, swatch, swatch, swatch. Then visit the Wizard! :wink:
Swatching is the "designer's' work. The Wizard is just the architect.

Raeknitsnwa
03-18-2009, 06:13 PM
It came out great I like the color your husband is a lucky man

TEMA
03-18-2009, 08:52 PM
Yes, I can see that your hubby loves this one. He looks very proud to be wearing it. :woot:
It's beautifully done... looks so relaxed and well-knit.
Love the colour and the design.
TEMA:knitting:

ArtLady1981
03-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Sometimes, the simpler the pattern, the better it looks when worn!

hheartstrongg
03-19-2009, 12:40 AM
wow! that looks like it took FOREVER! but it's really nice and looks really good on him. :)

ArtLady1981
03-19-2009, 01:55 AM
wow! that looks like it took FOREVER! but it's really nice and looks really good on him. :)

It felt like forever, but actually took a little under 2 months.
The endless faux rib gets quite tedious!

Thanks for your compliments! :hug:

DollyC
03-19-2009, 01:15 PM
VERY NEAT! VERY SMART! the perfect cardigan.
I love that rib, the colour, your finishing, everything!
Congratulations!
Thanks for sharing the tips. With that Wizard sounds like it is so easy. I should try myself insted of guessing and sweting with my own calculations.
Regards,
Dolly

ArtLady1981
03-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Hello Dolly~

Last night I opened up the Wizard, and entered some information for a child's cardigan...just to get a pattern that included yardage needed. From that information, I could tell if I had close to enough Stash Yarn on hand for some sweaters for 2 of my little DGD's!! (I did, I have 4 stashes that are suitable for spring-summer cotton sweaters!!!!)

So, now that I know I have enough yarn, I can get to work chosing a pattern stitch, make some swatches, and then go see the WIZARD for a blueprint (pattern!)

wezyus
03-25-2009, 12:57 AM
Sometimes, the simpler the pattern, the better it looks when worn!

Wel sed dear :hug:....Simplicity always luks perfect ...BTW how u go to WIZARD ..is there a link or some site ...cant understand the wizard thing ...any help ...plse ...thnks

ArtLady1981
03-25-2009, 02:26 AM
Wel sed dear :hug:....Simplicity always luks perfect ...BTW how u go to WIZARD ..is there a link or some site ...cant understand the wizard thing ...any help ...plse ...thnks

SWEATER WIZARD (http://www.knitpicks.com/Sweater+Wizard_AD80006.html) is a software program that makes a pattern up for you, complete with schematics. All you need to do FIRST is make your swatch that you want to use for the sweater, and enter the information into the Sweater Wizard, and he gives you a pattern based upon your swatch information, such as the yarn, the needle sizes, the st gauge, the row gauge, etc.

Sweater Wizard is sold at KnitPicks. (link above)

wezyus
03-25-2009, 06:24 AM
SWEATER WIZARD (http://www.knitpicks.com/Sweater+Wizard_AD80006.html) is a software program that makes a pattern up for you, complete with schematics. All you need to do FIRST is make your swatch that you want to use for the sweater, and enter the information into the Sweater Wizard, and he gives you a pattern based upon your swatch information, such as the yarn, the needle sizes, the st gauge, the row gauge, etc.

Sweater Wizard is sold at KnitPicks. (link above)
Dont know that's its so easy...i will try it ...thnks

ArtLady1981
03-25-2009, 02:46 PM
If you do buy the Sweater Wizard, let me know, and I will help you create your first pattern.

wezyus
03-26-2009, 01:09 AM
If you do buy the Sweater Wizard, let me know, and I will help you create your first pattern.

u r so sweet...thnks for the help but when checking the price n shipping cost, it wud cost me quite lot as i am far away in the Indian Ocean...and what's more for that's price (when converted into our local Rs), i can get 2 or 3 ready made imported sweaters....But anyway as i hve already promised him, i will fabric 1 pattern n the chart on my own OR wud modify any existing free pattern from any website ...wud u let u know ....maybe by 1st wk of april i will start it ...thnsk once more