PDA

View Full Version : FO's: Bella Set and Celtic Tote

gargoylelib
01-31-2009, 04:39 AM
Here are a couple of recently finished projects that I finally got pics of! :) The first is a hat and mitten set based on some mittens wore by the main character in the movie Twilight. Here are the links for the hat (http://hollyeknits.blogspot.com/2009/01/bellas-hat.html) and mittens (http://subliminalrabbit.blogspot.com/2008/12/bellas-mittens-updated-pattern.html).
The second is of the Celtic Tote from Interweave Knits. It over felted a bit but I think it still looks pretty good. I haven't lined it yet and after using it yesterday I think it definitely needs it!

KnittingNat
01-31-2009, 08:46 AM
Everything looks great!!! The hat and mittens are wonderful. You knitted that bag so fast and it looks great:thumbsup: I've been knitting it for 3 months on and off and only yesterday felted it. Now just the lining left. Mine is green too!

WandaT
01-31-2009, 09:20 AM
Beautiful job on all of these! I'm loving the way those cables stand out on your felted bag ... beautiful!

dustinac
01-31-2009, 10:16 AM
:happydance: Everything looks great! I love the mitten/hat set

Jan in CA
01-31-2009, 11:18 AM
I love the mitten set and bag! Those cables are so cool!

vaknitter
01-31-2009, 11:55 AM
wow - such gorgeous things !!!

losnana
01-31-2009, 01:23 PM
Everything looks great!!! The hat and mittens are wonderful. You knitted that bag so fast and it looks great:thumbsup: I've been knitting it for 3 months on and off and only yesterday felted it. Now just the lining left. Mine is green too!
Pix???

ritaw
01-31-2009, 01:25 PM
I love the bag and hat and mittens are beautiful :)

Jaxhil
01-31-2009, 03:16 PM
Both are beautiful!! Well done!

Marria
01-31-2009, 04:46 PM
They look great. I think the Celtic Tote looks fine-not overfelted at all. I have that one in my queue. How was the pattern?

tokmom
01-31-2009, 07:13 PM
I love both! I will have to make the hat and mitten set for a serious Twighlight fan. Thanks for the links!

lelvsdgs
01-31-2009, 10:24 PM
Beautiful work on all of your projects! I love the definition of the cables you achieved in the felted tote. Just wonderful.:notworthy:

Debkcs
02-01-2009, 01:46 AM
Great job,Lib! I've been thinking about that tote for myself,nice to see one in the colors I'd choose. And I agree that it doesn't look over felted at all.

mks22300
02-01-2009, 03:27 AM
Everything is great! I'm gonna have to make that Twilight set! :)

KnittingNat
02-01-2009, 03:41 AM
Pix???
Soon, soon... I'm determined to finish the lining first :)

gargoylelib
02-01-2009, 04:01 AM

I knitted the bag fast-ish because it was inspiration to get out of a slump hehe I hadn't knit anything for nearly a month and was just unmotivated until I was reminded of that bag adn thought "Ok, that's the project to get my knitting mojo back!" hehe...

They look great. I think the Celtic Tote looks fine-not overfelted at all. I have that one in my queue. How was the pattern?

The pattern was no problem. There was something that bothered me but when I asked around on Ravelry it seems others who had made the pattern just took it as a design element. On teh bottom part of the knot if you follow the cable chart there are 2 places that the knot "strands" don't weave in and out like I feel they should. Instead of alternating over and under there are 2 places that it crosses over twice and to me it just looked like a mistake. I'm kinda finicky about celtic knotwork and so I just changed the pattern so that it evenly wove in and out. No big deal except after that point my cable crossings were reversed to what the chart said. Didn't bother me hehe.... Plenty of people have made the pattern as is and it looks fine, like I said, I'm just a bit picky when it comes to knotwork haha...

The other thing I did that was not in teh pattern is I crocheted around the top edge and handles for some extra reinforcing. But overall I think it's a good pattern and I plan to make more as Christmas presents since this one came out so well! :)

Libbie

valentina
02-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Wow, everything looks fantastic, but the bag is my favourite.

bambi
02-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Those are really nice! I just adore cables of any kind!

Bambi

scout52
02-02-2009, 02:38 AM
Oh they look great!!! I love love the bag

ArtLady1981
02-04-2009, 04:32 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/wow/2.gifFABULOUS, AS USUAL! Love your work!!!! :heart:

Slim
02-04-2009, 08:04 AM
Ooh, how pretty! I love them both. I've been eyeing those Bella mittens for a while, and after seeing yours I may have to make some. Lovely work on the bag, too.

gargoylelib
02-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Ooh, how pretty! I love them both. I've been eyeing those Bella mittens for a while, and after seeing yours I may have to make some. Lovely work on the bag, too.

Thanks :) The mitten pattern calls for a bulky weight yarn but I had worsted weight in my stash so I just held it doubled and it worked out fine. Also, if you make them, they seem to be very tight at first. Almost like they might be too small. That seemed to be a common comment on Ravelry about the pattern. However, after wearing them just once they really "grew" and almost fit loose now. Other people had recommended casting on extra sts but I'm really glad I didn't. Just a word of warning in case you decide to start them. I suppose it all depends on the yarn used and how loosely or tightly you knit :)

Libbie

GinnyG
02-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Those are just BEAUTIFUL!

MerigoldinWA
02-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Very nice projects. Your bag is lovely. I like the way the cables are edged in black, or is that just an illusion? Very nice. The set is nice as well.

saracidaltendencies
02-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Beautiful, and I love the colors of the tote!

gargoylelib
02-05-2009, 03:58 AM
I actually edged the cables in a darker tone of green. I was going to use the black but it seemed a bit too dark. Since the bag is felted you have to edge the cables with some kind of contrast or they just sorta blend away into the bag. This project has given me ideas for future felted cables! :)

MerigoldinWA
02-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Thanks gargoylelib for the answer. Would you mind telling how that was done? Did you knit a stitch of dark at the edge of each cable as it was knit, or add it later? I'm fascinated by the look.

gargoylelib
02-06-2009, 03:49 AM
Actually the darker yarn was added after the knitting was complete. The pattern had you embroider around the cables with a contrasting yarn and since it was going to be felted it didn't require tiny neat embroidery stitches. I actually did quite long back stitch embroidery around the edges. On the designer's blog she briefly mentions how to do it:
http://www.pieknits.com/blog/2007/12/notes_on_celtic_tote.html

Hope that helps! :)
Libbie

MerigoldinWA
02-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Okay, I get it. That works slick. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I appreciate it.

dewdrops
02-06-2009, 03:54 PM
WOW!!:heart:

silybluestar
02-11-2009, 02:14 AM
Wow your knitting is Amazing! Fantastic job!