PDA

View Full Version : Purling Help... this just doesn't look right!

paphlovian
02-08-2009, 02:43 AM
I taught myself how to purl today (I think) and cannot get the consistent "v" pattern on one side. The "v" pattern is alternating sides as I purl my rows. Do you know what I could be doing wrong to have it alternate sides like this?

Thank you... I am stumped!

Marria
02-08-2009, 04:38 AM
I'm going to ask a couple of questions that will probably seem silly, but I want to make sure I understand what you are asking. :) Are you trying to do stockinette (knit one row, then purl one row)? And if so, are you saying you aren't getting the Vs on one side (should be the knit side) in a consistent manner?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by saying your Vs are alternating sides...

suzeeq
02-08-2009, 10:38 AM
If you're purling every row, that's garter stitch, the same as knitting every row. The back of a knit is a purl, the back of a purl is a knit. If you want the Vs on one side, purls on the other (stockinette st) you need knit a row then purl a row and alternate.

paphlovian
02-08-2009, 03:46 PM
I'm trying to purl every row, which I thought would create the "v" pattern on one side and the knit stich on the other. There is something I'm confused about, or something I'm doing incorrectly since the patterns aren't consistent on which side they appear.

Thanks so much for your help!

suzeeq
02-08-2009, 04:12 PM
No, purling every row is the same as knitting every row - you get garter stitch. You have to knit one row, purl one row alternately to get stockinette. This is for knitting flat; for knitting in the round, the opposite is true. The V st is the knit stitch, btw, so maybe you are confused. You may want to look at the videos under Basic Stitch patterns on the Tips page - they show garter, stockinette, ribbing and seed sts.

paphlovian
02-18-2009, 09:20 PM
Yes, it was the stockinette stitch that I was attempting to do and have figured it out. Thank you!