PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Good Knitting Book?

melanieodc
02-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Dear All!

I would love some recommendations for knitting books. I have Knitting in Plain English by Maggie Righetti which I think is good, but would like something a little more advanced (for example, she doesn't explain how to knit in the round..or I couldn't find it at 10.00 a night). I know I can find anything online, but sometimes I'm away from the computer for the weekend and like to be able to continue knitting.

So, any books you think would be a level or two above Righetti's book would be great!

Thanks,

melanie

Marria
02-08-2009, 01:22 PM
I think the book I used the most when I was first knitting and still use a lot is the Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book. It's a bit more expensive than some ($26 on Amazon), but it has clear illustrations of more advanced techniques like knitting in the round, colorwork (stranded, intarsia, and mosaic knitting), shaping, finishing, doing all kinds of pockets and collars, and seaming. It also has a nice stitch library, and a bunch of different types of cast ons, cast offs, increases and decreases. It also has a section on designing your own sweater and a bunch of templates at the back where you can plug in your measurements for a sweater of a specific type (drop shoulder pullover or cardigan, raglans, set in sleeves, boatnecks, shawl collars, etc., etc.)

I highly recommend it!

ETA: It actually even has a few nice patterns at the back, but most of them are pretty advanced. I haven't attempted any of them yet, but the tree of life cardigan is on my list.

heatherg23
02-08-2009, 11:28 PM
do u mean pattern books? Or, If your looking for knitting techniques I would buy a dvd. Thats how I learned.

LadyFirelyght
02-09-2009, 12:16 AM
I would absolutely, positively, wholeheartedly recommend you get the Ultimate Knitting Bible. It is, hands down, THE BEST KNITTING BOOK I HAVE EVER SEEN. I can't say enough good things about this book. I constantly read knitting articles and things online... but I've never seen half of the stuff that the book covers before.

swcheng15
02-09-2009, 02:30 PM
I agree with Marria. I have "Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book" and it's helped me multiple times already (it's a relatively new buy for me). It has help and great illustrations on different types of casting on and binding off, especially for different occasions (i.e. neck ridges, etc). It is rather large, so it's not a book you carry around in your knitting bag. But it's a great reference.

Jaycee
02-09-2009, 06:18 PM
I just got Color Knitting Techniques by Margaret Radcliffe. I am loving this book. It has tons of techniques for using color from simple to more complicated including stitch patterns, plus some patterns to try out plus color theroy information as it relates to knitting. It also has a great reference section so if you want even more information on a technique you have additonal places to look. I think any knitter would love this book!

knitfan
02-09-2009, 10:22 PM
I really like Teach Yourself Visually Knitting by Sharon Turner. It has great color pictures that are easy to understand along with written instructions.

Marria
02-10-2009, 12:24 AM
I agree with Marria. I have "Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book" and it's helped me multiple times already (it's a relatively new buy for me). It has help and great illustrations on different types of casting on and binding off, especially for different occasions (i.e. neck ridges, etc). It is rather large, so it's not a book you carry around in your knitting bag. But it's a great reference.

That is true-it's not really a very portable book. They do have a more condensed version that's easier to carry around, although I'm not sure what all information is still in it. I'm guessing they pulled out some of the designing stuff.

It's called Vogue Knitting Quick Reference: The Ultimate Portable Knitting Compendium (Vogue Knitting Quick Reference: The Ultimate Portable Knitting Compendium). Eventually I plan to get a copy of it.

Plantgoddess+
02-10-2009, 11:39 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Knitters-Handbook-Comprehensive-Principles-Handknitting/dp/0762102489/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234280153&sr=1-1
This is the one I want when I finally get around to buying more books. I checked this one out of the library and was very impressed with the overwhelming amount of info.
I thought no more about it until I started reading Grumperina's blog and she refers to in regularly when learning a new technique for shaping or finishing a project.
I think some people disregard this book because it was published by Reader's Digest, but I want a book that has most everything I need in one place so I don't have to search for info piecemeal on the internet.

melanieodc
02-27-2009, 11:11 AM
I just wanted to thank everybody who offered suggestions about books! Order some and am looking forward to reading them!!!

have a wonderful day & happy knitting!

melanie