PDA

View Full Version : These are the socks that never end...

LadyFirelyght
02-08-2009, 01:25 PM
... and the go on and on, my friend
This woman started knitting them, not knowing what they were
But she'll just keep on knitting them forever just because...

My husband requested socks for Valentine's day, and I was more than happy to oblige. Toe-up, I was excited to get started. Not putting in a lifeline, I started on a pattern that I wasn't sure I'd like. Turns out, hubby didn't like it. I had to rip out two inches of work, but I should've tinked it because it ended up taking me three hours to get the rounds evened again.

Hubby has very large feet. He's just barely under 6 feet tall, so you can imagine the whoppers on him :-P It feels like these socks are NEVER GOING TO END. I'm already on the legs and he only wants them to be a couple more inches long... but geeze, it's already been almost two weeks since I started them! With my own socks, I can push them out in something like 4 days :teehee:

Just keep knitting, just keep knitting, just keep knitting, knitting, knitting...

Marria
02-08-2009, 01:27 PM
:roflhard:

Maybe your next project should be a super bulky garter stitch scarf. You can do it in an afternoon to recover from your ordeal.

GrandmaLori
02-08-2009, 01:30 PM
My kids LOVED that little song when they sang it on "Lamb Chop Play Along". Anybody remember that cute show? Sherry (the voice of Lambchop) had such a cute voice and personality.

Newbie2Knitting
02-08-2009, 01:40 PM
I was gonna complement her on the Lamb Chop reference. I haven't thought of that show in *ages*! Nice play on Dori, too. (I have small children. Does it show?)

I feel like socks can go on forever, too. My DH wants some socks and his feet are size 13. I'm dreading doing them just b/c when I work on one project for too long I get bored with it. This is why you'll NEVER see me do an afghan.

Marria
02-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Oh, I loved Lamb Chop when I was a wee little one. I didn't put two and two together with the reference though. Thanks GrandmaLori for stirring up a pleasant childhood memory. :hug:

LadyFirelyght
02-08-2009, 01:52 PM

Maybe your next project should be a super bulky garter stitch scarf. You can do it in an afternoon to recover from your ordeal.
I think I'm going to do a nice hat for my next project. I can usually knock one out in about 8 hours :D

My kids LOVED that little song when they sang it on "Lamb Chop Play Along". Anybody remember that cute show? Sherry (the voice of Lambchop) had such a cute voice and personality.
I used to watch it every morning when I was little. It was my favorite show!
I feel like socks can go on forever, too. My DH wants some socks and his feet are size 13. I'm dreading doing them just b/c when I work on one project for too long I get bored with it. This is why you'll NEVER see me do an afghan.
It just seems like I've been knitting and knitting and knitting and I get mere centimeters of progress :roflhard:

Marria
02-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Just keep knitting, just keep knitting, just keep knitting, knitting, knitting...

:teehee: My very first fiber related project ever was a striped afghan that ended up being about 5' x 6'. I crocheted it. In single crochet. Yes, the whole thing was in single crochet. There were times when I was pretty sure it was shrinking centimeters, not growing them! (And no, I don't know what I was thinking...)

You'll definitely have to post a pic when you're done!

TrishL1975
02-08-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm on my first sock. For me, thank goodness - I wear a 6 1/2, and fully plan on knitting these SMALL so I can have socks that FIT. Of course, I'm barely getting to the end of the first stripe, and the stitches are so tiny, and the needles, and *whimper*

At this rate, all I'll have to bring to Iraq is enough yarn for two pairs of socks, and I'll be set for all four months.

LadyFirelyght
02-08-2009, 07:53 PM
At least I know I'm not alone in my never-ending project!

Marria: My first big project was a garter sistch afghan in super bulky yarn that I still have yet to finish. I had to restart it three times because I was off on the stitch count and ended up making it twice as wide as it was supposed to be (it's supposed to be nearly square). Whoops! :teehee: I finally got some more yarn to finish it, but now I don't have the time!

TrishL1975
02-08-2009, 08:05 PM
I have fled to swatching (and I HATE swatching) for my next sweater. Now I'm thinking about packing THAT project instead.....

Lisa R.
02-08-2009, 10:00 PM

Yeah, not only did I start singing it when I read the subject line, but now it's thoroughly stuck in my head!!!:eyes:

vaknitter
02-08-2009, 10:25 PM
I so understand the never ending sock feeling. My hubby is 6'5" with size 13 feet. I frogged and tinked the sock to get the size right and took the same durn sock to my knit night like 3WEEKS in a row. Needless to say I got bored and made other smaller projects in between.

I have also made him the never ending scard that was about 9ft long with alternating bands of color every 2". As if knitting for 9 feet wasn't enough I had to go back and weave in all those ends

LadyFirelyght
02-09-2009, 12:18 AM
I so understand the never ending sock feeling. My hubby is 6'5" with size 13 feet. I frogged and tinked the sock to get the size right and took the same durn sock to my knit night like 3WEEKS in a row. Needless to say I got bored and made other smaller projects in between.

I have also made him the never ending scard that was about 9ft long with alternating bands of color every 2". As if knitting for 9 feet wasn't enough I had to go back and weave in all those ends
I think end weaving is the bane of my existence. I hate it with an everloving passion.

Denise in Michigan
02-09-2009, 12:59 PM
I remember Sherry Lewis from her first show on television, with Lamb Chop, Charlie Horse, Hush Puppy...someone else, please tell me you remember this! (Must have been...hmmmm...sometime around 1960...)

Valpuri
02-09-2009, 12:59 PM
I once knitted socks in a rather complicated mosaic pattern for my brother, who is 6'7'' and it took about a month. When he received them, he just said "What, socks with no leg parts (meaning the usual ribbing)!" He has never worn the stupid socks, but I learned how to do mosaic knitting.

LadyFirelyght
02-09-2009, 01:53 PM
I once knitted socks in a rather complicated mosaic pattern for my brother, who is 6'7'' and it took about a month. When he received them, he just said "What, socks with no leg parts (meaning the usual ribbing)!" He has never worn the stupid socks, but I learned how to do mosaic knitting.
Wow... you'd think he would wear them after all the work you put into them!

Mike
02-09-2009, 02:02 PM
They need to ban this thread title.
Every time I open General I see it and get the song stuck in my head for the next hour.

Simply_Renee
02-09-2009, 04:52 PM
I second Mike. I had finally stopped singing it then came back here. My niece was a Lampchop freak & passed her comforter to my daughter, then son (who LOVES it although it is pink & girly!)

:-) Good luck on finishing the socks! I usually knit socks in 4 days too.

Simply_Renee
02-09-2009, 04:53 PM

Val- I would have snatched them from his ungrateful mutton hands, poked him with a needle, then worn them myself with a knot tied at the toes so they fit me.

Very cool on the mosaic knitting though- that is on my "must learn" list.

labeelady
02-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Ah, yes..Lambchop was really cute. The ventriloquist was Shari Lewis, btw. My daughter had a Lambchop puppet when she was little (she's now 40).

Marria
02-09-2009, 07:33 PM
I remember Sherry Lewis from her first show on television, with Lamb Chop, Charlie Horse, Hush Puppy...someone else, please tell me you remember this! (Must have been...hmmmm...sometime around 1960...)

Does seeing the reruns when I was a kid count? ;)

LadyFirelyght
02-10-2009, 01:17 PM
FO Pics posted :)

Denise in Michigan
02-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Does seeing the reruns when I was a kid count? ;)
Nope! That's like hand-me-downs, or inheriting! Lookin' for original owners here!:teehee:

OffJumpsJack
02-11-2009, 04:21 PM
... and the go on and on, my friend
This woman started knitting them, not knowing what they were
But she'll just keep on knitting them forever just because...

I posted about my scarf that never ends (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1191900&highlight=scarf+that+never+ends#post1191900) some time ago but no-one caught the Sheri Lewis/Lamb chop reference. :sad: Of course it was burried between my name and my signature lines.

I jut now caught the Dori reference someone else mentioned. Silly me I was thinking Dora-the-explorer instead of Dori the forgetful fish. :)

Of course, there is another reference that applies...

(ArtLady posts YouTube video
The Last Knit (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1202404&postcount=1) for our enjoyment.)

--Jack

aprildavis99
02-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Of course there's the Pee Wee Herman's Big Adventure quote where Pee Wee says:
"The mind plays tricks on you. You play tricks back! It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting... "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjSVRsoBYNY

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :woot:

cacunn
02-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Hubby has very large feet. He's just barely under 6 feet tall, so you can imagine the whoppers on him :-P It feels like these socks are NEVER GOING TO END.

I stand 6 feet 1 inch with size 13 feet and have the intent to knit kilt hose. I seem to take a year from toe to heel turn and them I have 27 inches of leg to knit. I sometimes ask myself why.

OffJumpsJack
02-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Didn't Nickers, the trousers that end in a cuff just below the knee, require wearing hose that were knee high.

The recent dialog here seems like a likely reason why nickers went out of style.

Songbirdy
02-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Not that I want to make this claim but I think I have y'all beat. But first congratulations on finishing the socks!

Yay!

But I so hear your pain!

For the record, my hubby is 6 ft 8 inches and has size 15 feet. He gets one pair of socks each year for Christmas. Because I was knitting a crib sized blanket for his sister's first child I put off the socks this year. I knitted him a pair, just in time for Valentines, at 8 sts per inch, with 10 rows per inch... at 88 sts per round... I figure there was over 20,000 sts in that pair of sock... Not to mention I knit one sock for over 14 inches and discovered that I misread the directions and swatched in stockinette... instead of the pattern... and it was too tight... Then I misread my guage and discovered that after 8 inches into the next 'first' sock. So on the third 'first' sock attempt... I ditched the weave stitch went with stockinette and finished them in two weeks... DH has been informed this pair of socks is good for two Christmases.

cacunn
02-17-2009, 11:00 PM
I kneel at the foot of the master.

LadyFirelyght
02-18-2009, 12:24 AM
Not that I want to make this claim but I think I have y'all beat. But first congratulations on finishing the socks!

Yay!

But I so hear your pain!

For the record, my hubby is 6 ft 8 inches and has size 15 feet. He gets one pair of socks each year for Christmas. Because I was knitting a crib sized blanket for his sister's first child I put off the socks this year. I knitted him a pair, just in time for Valentines, at 8 sts per inch, with 10 rows per inch... at 88 sts per round... I figure there was over 20,000 sts in that pair of sock... Not to mention I knit one sock for over 14 inches and discovered that I misread the directions and swatched in stockinette... instead of the pattern... and it was too tight... Then I misread my guage and discovered that after 8 inches into the next 'first' sock. So on the third 'first' sock attempt... I ditched the weave stitch went with stockinette and finished them in two weeks... DH has been informed this pair of socks is good for two Christmases.
:rofl:

I also kneel at the foot of the master.

Songbirdy
02-18-2009, 10:22 AM
lol, and I kneel at the foot of my hubby... err... well... I attempt to cover them... lol.

If he weren't so durned happy about those socks... lol

Jaxhil
02-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Wow, you have waaaay more stamina than me! LOL! Well, at least he clearly appreciates them!! :teehee: He's very lucky to have you!