PDA

View Full Version : Knitting my first sweater...

TEMA
02-12-2009, 12:34 AM
:waving: I think I have posted something of this once before but I can't find it so here goes....
I got off to a poor start on my first sweater, and especially my first anything knit on circular needles... but with help from you guys here on KH, I managed to get the knitting turned around (literally) and now I'm going great guns.:happydance:
In fact, I've almost finished the body of the sweater... but I began to worry that I would not have enough yarn to finish it and then do the sleeves.
So today, I went to WalMart and bot some more of my 'anchor' yarn and added another cc yarn to be held together as I knit.
I've just changed the additional yarn from what I was using so that now I am doing a nice piece of lighter knitting so that it comes out as a dim stripe. Loving the look.
I'm using a pattern I got for free called Francis Revisited by Beth Silverstein.
The thing is - I used her pattern til I got past the part where I put the sleeves onto yarn holders and was knitting away on the body.
She called for a decrease right there but I'm not skinny minny so I decided to change my pattern.
To that end, I began to increase every 8th stitch in the front of the sweater and do an increase at the front and back of each stitch marker that marked the sides of the sweater.
It worked really well, giving me something that looks like pleats going across the front.
When I had done enough (to my estimation) I did one pleat in the middle of the back of the sweater giving me a little bump to take care of the little increase I would need for my teeny tiny butt :teehee: .
As for the neckline where I first started the sweater, I've decided to change it as well since I don't really like anything tight to my neck.
My plan is to pick up and knit as the pattern shows for about 2 inches and then do just knit st. so that the collar turns under on it's own. I will do this for as long as I think I want the collar to be.
I do hope all this will work out...
If the sweater is a little tight.. well, I won't care. I'll just have that much more incentive to lose a bit of weight... so that's win/win... and if it's too big... bonus!:thumbsup:
TEMA:knitting:

Marria
02-12-2009, 12:51 AM
It sounds like you've really taken ownership of your knitting and not letting it tell you what to do. :)

When you post the finished sweater in the Watcha Knittin' forum, see if you can post a link to the patter or at least a picture so we can see what your mods look like compared to the original. I love seeing people's pattern mods.

I bet it's going to look great!

WandaT
02-12-2009, 07:41 AM
Nothing like persistence! Can't wait to see the finished product!

MerigoldinWA
02-12-2009, 07:48 AM
For a first sweater this is quite an adventure. It sounds like you are having a lot of fun with it. We look forward to seeing your FO.

dustinac
02-13-2009, 12:33 PM
:happydance: can't wait to see it

TEMA
02-15-2009, 01:35 AM
I am having a good time with it. And the body is almost done. Can't wait to get started on the sleeves,
I will post once it is done... hopefully before spring!
TEMA
:knitting:

TEMA
02-25-2009, 12:28 AM
OKay... well, what's happened since then is - I frogged the whole thing... didn't like it at all... yuck!
But now I'm reknitting it and feel it is working out this time.
TEMA:frog:
On the bright side... I learned a lot and wasn't the least bit upset about taking it all apart. I just love to knit...
TEMA:knitting:

Debkcs
02-25-2009, 04:54 AM
Don't feel bad,TEMA, I had ten rows of the sweater I'm making for me done, and had to frog it all after realizing that the M1's were wrong. Sigh. But, it's looking better now.

TEMA
03-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Third time lucky...? I'm hoping so...:eyebrow:
This time I started with top-down but stopped knitting once the sleeve stitches were put on some crap yarn to hold.
Then I started knitting the sleeves, themselves, and let the body go.
I've finished one sleeve and am very happy with it.
I didn't follow the pattern because I wanted a 3/4 sleeve since I'm always rolling my sleeves up.
I'm on the 2nd sleeve now. Then comes the cowl and lastly the rest of the body.
I'm not sure I have enough yarn so I want the different colour, if it's needed, to be at the bottom of the sweater. I think it should look quite good - all being well...
At least, I haven't given up yet... but I figure this better be it... I don't think my yarn can take another frogging and reknitting.:teehee:
TEMA:knitting: :knitting: :knitting: