PDA

View Full Version : Why is the *K1, S1* a popular sock heel?

thecanfield
02-13-2009, 02:37 PM
I have noticed that heel flaps constructed with *K1, S1* repeat seam to be rather common. I know it looks nice and different (especially with multicolor yarn) but is there an attribute that lends itself to the heel flap? Does it pull a bit tighter, with the slips and all, or is it a bit more durable in the shoe because of the added thickness? Just curious.
ThanX for your input.
-me

Cirrus
02-13-2009, 02:39 PM
Maybe because it seems thicker and more cushiony than the rest of the sock.

thepurplegg
02-13-2009, 04:32 PM
The heel gets a lot of wear, so it is made thicker. Makes it more durable, like you said. :-)

thecanfield
02-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Cool Cool
ThanX fro the prompt replies.
:cool:

of troy
02-18-2009, 01:21 PM
3 reasons:

1 the slip stitch pattern changes the gauge of the knitting, (row gauge) -it packs more rows into the same place

2--because the knitting is denser (see #1) its is stronger
--and because of the slipped stitches, the rows don't line up either.. so a single break is less likely to spread (it might run, but it won't run and expand right to left (because the stitches either side were knit in a different row!)

3--and when that single thread breaks, there is a 50% chance there is a thread behind it.. to still provide cushioning.

these 2 factors, denser (and thicker) fabric, that reisists becoming a hole if the yarn wears through and breaks, and that provides cushioning in the case of a break.. make a slip stitch pattern a good choice for any place where there is hard wear!

thecanfield
02-18-2009, 02:33 PM
Thank You, Thank You!
:) :)