PDA

View Full Version : Do You Knit and Crochet?

iteachdigital
02-13-2009, 10:40 PM
I am just learning to knit and I am excited about some of the projects I have planned. My grandmother was a very talented crocheter (is that a word) I would like to recreate some of our most cherished pieces some day.

I can see myself doing both knitting and crocheting. How many of you do both?

If just one, why?

Thanks,

Maria.. a newbie to this forum

globaltraveler
02-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Yup. My grandmother taught me to crochet when I was 4. I'm teaching myself to knit now. (I started New Year's Eve.) I never could get hand knitting into my head previous to this, even though I wanted to learn to knit rather badly. I'm having a great time now. :)

Marria
02-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Hi Maria--as you can see my user name is Marria, which was my nickname when I was a kid. My name is actually Mary.

Anyways---yes, I do crochet and knit both. I learned to crochet then I learned to knit. I enjoy both, and although I know some people think one or the other is harder, I don't find that to be true for me. I just think they're different.

I like to use crochet for afghans and sometimes scarves, and knitting for garments, although I have a couple of crochet sweaters on my Ravelry queue, and eventually I'll make one. I also sometimes put crochet edgings on my knitting.

Welcome to KH. This is a great community!

WandaT
02-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Yup, I do both. I find myself knitting more than crocheting these days, but I learned to crochet when I was very little. It's only been in the last few years I've learned to knit.

Mike
02-13-2009, 11:14 PM
I do both. Crochet for blankets and knitting for clothing.

knitcindy
02-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Yup, I do both as well. My grandma tried to teach me to knit when I was small, but I really picked up crochet from her when I was around 9. In the last few years, I've finally picked up knitting again and have taken off!
I like them both.
knitcindy

lelvsdgs
02-14-2009, 12:34 AM
Hi! I do both but I am primarily a knitter. I can only do scarves, hats and blankets in crochet but have done all kinds of things in knitting. Welcome and you'll get lots of tips and help here that's for sure!:woohoo:

Lillian Ho
02-14-2009, 03:11 AM
I taught myself to do both knit and crochet when I was in high school. I had done a some hats, scarves and a sweater and shawl in crochet. But, in recent years I prefer to knit exclusively. Maybe it's because I like the texture of knitted garment better, it's simply easier to focus on one skill rather than do both. I do find it handy to be able to put crochet edgings on a sweater, or to seam together a garment in crochet slip stitch, or even do a crochet provisional cast-on. One of these days, I'll make a complete garment in crochet again. I kinda miss doing it.

Lillian

cheley
02-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Yup, I do both...prefer Knitting...

Plantgoddess+
02-14-2009, 10:17 AM
I do both. I used to do mostly crochet but over the years knitting has taken over. I do need to finish my crochet tablecloth though.

Crycket
02-14-2009, 10:45 AM
I knit, but I have been learning crochet because I have learned that by closing the door to crochet, there was so much knitting I was missing out on....

So, I guess I do both, but I am still learning with the crochet part

NoGrinchHere
02-14-2009, 04:08 PM
I also do both. I learned to crochet when I was about 8 years old; didn't learn to knit until I was an adult.

My friend's mother taught us to crochet. We used to use our allowance to buy yarn and crochet granny squares. We had a plan that one day we'd combine them into one big afghan. We never finished that project, but I've been crocheting (and now knitting) ever since!

cindycactus
02-14-2009, 06:11 PM
My mother taught me to knit when I was about 10. I learned to crochet from her when I became and adult. I enjoy both but prefer knitting. Welcome.

linknit41
02-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Can do both, but prefer knitting. Lately, crocheting hurts my fingers,but knitting, i can switch from English to Continental when aches are a problem.linknit

sabrinasmom
02-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Can do both. Depends on what I'm making as to which I use. Enjoy both.

MarthaC
02-15-2009, 01:23 AM
I can do both but I mostly crochet. I am looking forward to doing more knitting though.

cmk
02-15-2009, 01:30 AM
I learned to knit first and then learned to crochet, but now I get pain from my wrist up my arm when I crochet.

gingerbread
02-15-2009, 09:16 AM
Hello and welcome to the forums. I like to do both and have been since I was little. I like doing lace doilies with crochet and lace knitting. I do more knitting it doesn't hurt my hands as much as the crocheting does. I miss making my doilies :cry: but hey I still can knit :)

Quiltlady
02-15-2009, 02:47 PM
I learned how to Crochet as a child. In my adult years I learned how to knit. I much prefer knitting but I am glad I can do both if I want to.:teehee:

Craw
02-15-2009, 03:31 PM
I do both. I have more experience under my belt with crochet and only learned to knit a few months ago. Now I get to buy twice as much yarn. :teehee:

1to1
02-15-2009, 09:18 PM
I learned to knit in 2005 and crochet in 2006. I think it is helpful to learn both. For me knitting is more relaxing but crochet seems to be faster. Like others have said crochet for afghans/blankets and knitting for most everything else. I enjoy doing both!

TEMA
02-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Hi, and Welcome to the Forum!:waving:
I love to knit but am only learning it again after a couple of decades and enjoying it very much.
To me, it feels like magic to have the needles in my hands and watch the yarn come stringing along and forming itself into something beautiful and wearable.
I have done quite a bit of crochet but not lately.
I think I take knitting more seriously as a domestic art.
TEMA:thumbsup:

heatherg23
02-15-2009, 10:46 PM
I knit and I just started to learn how to crochet. I thought it was time to try. If anyone needs learning videos there are 200 instructional videos on how to crochet. They can be found at
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=FFF15236A0B97605

Snugglebugmom
02-16-2009, 09:56 AM
I do both and I love both, but knitting will always be my favorite. :mrgreen:

OffJumpsJack
02-16-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm a guy who does both crochet and knit.

My DW cherishes the scarf and hat I crhoched for her. I offered to make another scarf and she said, "I have enough scarves." LOL

Valpuri
02-16-2009, 12:26 PM
I learned to crochet when I was five and to knit a year later. For me they seem to be seasonal. In summer I usually crochet cotton, in winter I knit wool. I also weave, tat, make needlelace and bobbin lace, felt (needle and wet), cross stitch, embroider etc in between. I like to have a learning process going on, but when I've got the technique, I want to try something else.

mullerslanefarm
02-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Knit and Crochet

and Spin and Weave and Tat and Felt and Dye.

If it's related to fiber, I have to investigate it!!!

albertpollard
02-16-2009, 06:29 PM
I learned to crochet as a child and recently took up knitting. I enjoy crochet for afghans and blankets. It's a good way to use up all the scrap yarn from the knitting project.
I took up knitting because I couldn't find a supply of "good" patterns for clothing.
My first project was a knit/crochet combination.

labeelady
02-23-2009, 03:23 PM
I do both knitting & crochet. I learned them about the same time.
I taught myself how to crochet from a book, but did take a knitting class to make sure I was doing it correctly. This was back in the 60's before internet.

I found out that crocheting was much faster for me, so I stuck with it although I hadn't forgotten how to knit. It's just that I was better at crocheting! Several years ago we went to New Zealand and I saw all the ladies there knitting with fun fur! I had not seen it before in the US and so I bought some skeins in NZ and some knitting needles the sales clerk recommended and I've been knitting as well as crocheting ever since!

swcheng15
02-23-2009, 03:29 PM
I do both. I find that it changes things up, breaks up the monotony of doing a project. Sometimes I alternate from a knit pattern to a crochet pattern. I learned the basics of both from my grandmother. Oh, and I agree with some of the other posts...crocheting blankets seem to be faster than knitting them.

MoniDew
02-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Hi! I do both but I am primarily a knitter. I can only do scarves, hats and blankets in crochet but have done all kinds of things in knitting. Welcome and you'll get lots of tips and help here that's for sure!:woohoo:

Me, too! Primarily knitter now, but primarily crocheter when I was younger. Love knitting for the versitility, the fineness of the stitch, and the drape/weight of the fabric produced. But I will still crochet from time to time, when I am in a time-crunch for a gift. I'm a bit faster at crochet.

stitchabit
02-23-2009, 09:31 PM
I am doing both, I am quicker at crochet and am re-learning to knit -my sister started teaching me to knit when I was around 7 years old.
My first crochet project was suppose to be square, but ended up looking like the shape of a soda bottle :roflhard: :roflhard: Needless to say I was very frustrated, but I just kept practicing. Same with knitting- I just keep practicing, learning and sometimes thinking words i do not say.

:knitting:

wezyus
02-24-2009, 12:28 AM
Mee 2 like both but i prefer knitting more

saracidaltendencies
02-24-2009, 12:44 AM
I can finally say both! Well, sort of...lol...I've been knitting since 2005 and tried to learn to crochet since about the same time, but, I didn't feel like learning something again and didn't really try too hard.

A few days ago I decided no more procrastinating and I finally learned to crochet. I wouldn't call myself proficient at crochet yet, but, I'm learning and have so far made a few circle swatches, a bunch of granny squares, a scarf, and a dishcloth...All in 5 days :teehee:

When I finally set my mind to something, I go full force...lol