PDA

View Full Version : When does "fussy" become "too fussy"?

globaltraveler
02-14-2009, 05:38 AM
So, I'm making my first Fair Isle piece, a simple little beret with a fairly easy pattern. Yesterday, I decided that I was going to finish it (because I've just got too many pieces on the needles, and it was making my psychic skin itch). Sure enough, by the end of the day, I had decided to frog back to the first few inches. I'd learned enough about Fair Isle by last night and how relaxed you have to carry the yarn across the back, and the first bits where I'd gotten it too tight were really bugging me. I knew that if I left it like that, it would mean that I would enjoy wearing the hat a lot less.

My partner just smiled and shook his head, and his sister thinks I'm way too OCD!

How fussy are you about small mistakes, things that other people look at and say, "what mistake?" or some such? When is it worth it to you to frog or tink back, and when is it not? Does the thought of wearing or giving something with a mistake in it give you a mental rash, or do you not really care?

dustinac
02-14-2009, 09:13 AM
I'm pretty fussy...unless it's an easy fix on the row/round...I will frog or tink back. I know the mistake is there and it will drive me crazy...I wish I could just let some of them go I would get more done that way :rofl:

Debbie
02-14-2009, 09:55 AM
One of the things I like most about knitting is having the option to "do over" ... what other craft or needlework art besides knitting and crochet do you get to do that without ruining your "supplies" ? There are some mistakes it doesn't bother me to leave and others that just have to be fixed .... and they can be the exact same mistake ... different day :) I like having the choice. I love both the process and the product !

Plantgoddess+
02-14-2009, 10:10 AM
If it's going to be visible in the finished product I will definitely fix it. I'm working a lot of lace right now and the stitches have to be correct. I hate getting to the end of a row and finding my stitch count is off. I have to go back and track where the generally lost stitch went
Fair Isle that has the floats too tight is going to affect the shaping and fit of the item. I would have frogged and started over as well.

knitasha
02-14-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm far from obsessive about my knitting and I wouldn't even call myself fussy; actually I have no shame about ignoring certain mistakes or working around them as long as they don't make the whole piece look shabby.

If I were in your place, though, I'd rip out the not-so-nice stranding and do it over. (a) It's not an enormous piece and it won't take you long to do it over; (b) the first time around was practice, the second will be perfect; (c) it's obviously giving you enough of a mental rash that you'll be happier if you redo it; (d) tight, puckered Fair Isle really looks crappy.

As for your partner and his sister: let them do what they want with their knitting (and I'll bet neither of them knits); this is yours, and it's your opinion that counts. (I'll also bet that neither of them is a psychiatrist and capable of diagnosing OCD.)

shelluie
02-14-2009, 11:52 AM
I think it's all about how YOU feel. If it's bugging you, then it's probably always going to bug you if you don't frog it. For me it depends on how bad the mistake is...if it's just a minor little flaw, then I'd probably just keep going, but if it was something more major, I'd frog it.

Marria
02-14-2009, 12:33 PM
I tend to be pretty fussy and if I am not satisfied with the look, I will frog. (This doesn't even especially have to be about mistakes, but being dissatisfied with how the fabric is coming out).

I will say, though, that if I find a mistake, I will "read" my knitting and try to find a way to fix it without frogging, if it won't be noticeable. For example, if I forgot to do an increase somewhere, if I can get away with doing it on a later row, I won't frog.

Overall, though, I'm pretty picky. I take a lot of pride in my knitting and I'd rather redo it multiple times to get it the way I want it.

Jan in CA
02-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Yep, I'd frog it and start over, too. I think it becomes TOO fussy when you've d one it six times and find every little fault- not once after you've learned something and want to improve it. :thumbsup:

Marria
02-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Yep, I'd frog it and start over, too. I think it becomes TOO fussy when you've d one it six times and find every little fault- not once after you've learned something and want to improve it. :thumbsup:

Very well put, Jan!

globaltraveler
02-14-2009, 03:34 PM
Oh, my partner is just amused when I insist on fixing something he can't even see, and his sister is just teasing. :) I just think its funny they can't see the glaring mistakes I see! heehehe

linknit41
02-14-2009, 08:00 PM
if it affects the fit, or looks really bad (to me) i will frog or tink til it is *right*. have done so MANY times, but i chalk it all up to more knitting time! guess i'm more of a process than project knitter, cause i just *love* the rhythm of knitting and i find practice helps the stitches become more even, too. i was almost finished with a pair of wristlets and boo-booed the thumb, so frogged back to the beginning, 50-odd rows, 60 sts per row., but boy, does it look nice now!!! linknit41

tokmom
02-14-2009, 08:08 PM
I'm pretty fussy...unless it's an easy fix on the row/round...I will frog or tink back. I know the mistake is there and it will drive me crazy...I wish I could just let some of them go I would get more done that way :rofl:

What she said;) . It doesn't help that my mom 'sits' on my shoulder. When I was learning needlework, she'd make me rip out hours worth of work if it wasn't done correctly. Her mantra was "If you can't do it right, then don't do it at all." I still hear that in my head.:aww:

lelvsdgs
02-15-2009, 02:52 PM
I don't call it fussy, I call it wanting to do it right! That being said, it depends on what I'm doing, how much is shows and if it affects the fit/look of the final project. If it's for a gift, I definitely frog and fix.
Interesting question!

lynn893
02-15-2009, 04:15 PM
I agree completely with every else. If it's a simple fix, I'll ladder down to correct it. If it's more complicated, I'll tink back if it's only one row, or frog it if it's more.

I was working on a belaro for my oldest daughter, and it seemed that every time I picked it up to work on it, two rows later I would notice a mistake in my first row. The problem with it was that it was purple mohair. Impossible to frog, a real pain to tink. Suffice it to say, it's been in hibernation for a little while.

All knitting that you are doing is your creation. Do with it whatever makes you happiest. :)

lelvsdgs
02-15-2009, 04:17 PM
All knitting that you are doing is your creation. Do with it whatever makes you happiest. :)
Lovely sentiment and I agree 100%!

TEMA
02-15-2009, 11:08 PM
I like my knitting to be correct but as long as there are no gaping holes and the mistake is mostly under the arm... and if I've been knitting forever, I just leave it.
No one but me will know it's there and I don't think anyone is going to inspect the piece over with a magnifying glass... so I'm okay with it.:eyebrow:
If anyone does go over it with a magnifying glass and notices - well... let's just say they won't be getting any knitted presents from me at any time in the near future... LOL!:teehee:
TEMA

albertpollard
02-16-2009, 06:42 PM
My grandmother (who taught me to crochet) had this HARD finger! She would come up behind me and if there was a glaring error she would thump the back of my head.:poke:
I figure that is why I am so critical of my work. I too tink, unravel, unstitch or whatever it takes to go back and fix the "mistake" even if some people don't see it.
However, when I made an afghan for my MIL (crochet) she took it to the ladies league meeting and they went over it with a fine tooth comb and were IMPRESSED when they found out her Son In Law did it.
Thanks Grandma!

mwhite
02-16-2009, 07:42 PM
I'm definitely OCD! And all starts with pattern writing. I swear I must go through at least a pack of "post it" notes and several pages of legal pad before I really am happy....then there's knitting the sample, OMG! I don't know how many times I've re-written my wordpad notes! So, yes, when I knit, it HAS to be right or it gets tinked or frogged. However, I never just abandon something. I refuse to let a couple of needles and some yarn get the better of me. I am extremely fussy about correctness in a pattern. If there's a mistake, I want it to be mine.

Crycket
02-16-2009, 07:57 PM
I am very fussy!

Speaking of fairisle too...I just finished a piece doing the two handed fairisle technique...

My left hand can not match the tension of my right...so it was all bumpy...and I think I took the whole thing down at least 5 times trying to figure that out!

sweetiekxx
02-17-2009, 08:54 AM
I like things to be perfect but I'm not fussy at the same time, if that's possible?When it comes to knitting, if I make a mistake and can cover it up, it's fine but if I make a bigger mistake it frustrates the hell out of me and don't want to frog it but know that if I don't it'll really annoy me =_= so I put it down for a bit and when I pick it back up I am back into patient mode and undo the mistakes.

KelseyRae
02-17-2009, 03:43 PM
I am a fairly new knitter and have to say that I am no where near picky :p I have so few FO's under my belt that I really just want to finish the thing.

On my very first project there is one or 2 quite obvious mistakes but at the time I had no idea how to fix them without frogging and the thought of ripping it out made me want to cry alot more than the mistake did. I thought I'd hate the thing when it was done but the second it was off the needles and on my head the mistakes seemed to vanish and I was SO proud of myself for making it all my myself that I didn't care in the slightest.

I still pretty much refuse to frog unless its not an option (I did about 3 cable rows in the middle of a project as if they were WS when the were RS) but I will tink. Usually only within a row though. I'm getting pretty good at checking every row before I continue though just so I don't have to frog. :mrgreen:

Maybe I'll get pickier as I get better but for now I just want it done!

Songbirdy
02-17-2009, 08:50 PM
I find the more years that I have been knitting the more particular I get. I think it is because as my skills grow, so do my expectations and my ability to fix the pattern.

There are things that influence my decision to frog, tink or have DH rewind the sucker back up into a ball.

First of all the cost and quality of the yarn/wool. The better stuff, the more likely I am to work it until it is right.

For whom I am knitting this piece. This can work both ways, as in, "Eh, my mother will never notice." or "This is for my mother I want it to look really good because she'll show it to loads of people."

If it affects the wear-ability of the project. So in the case you mentioned, I'd rip. But in the case of socks where I might have forgotten to decrease one row on both sides, I'll just double up decreases the next row. [Especially on my hubbies size 15 socks]

And then the number of mistakes. For example there is one pattern I'm trying which is a harder lace than I have ever knit to this point. I've frogged it several times because I want it to look right. Now I've decided to make something else with that wool because for now, I am not ready.

lol, :teehee: I think I've gone and analyzed myself too much, once more!

globaltraveler
02-18-2009, 07:07 AM
lol, I think I've gone and analyzed myself too much, once more!

You know, while there's a lot to be said for letting yourself get into the simple pleasure of just knitting away fairly mindlessly, I think that being mindful of how and why and what you're knitting is worth it. I see a lot of parallels between a lot of the other design and creative work I do and knitting, and one thing I realized a long ways back is that, if you want to put out top quality work, you have to be aware of what and why you're doing what you do.

So, overall, analyzing is a good thing, in my book! :)

cindycactus
02-18-2009, 09:31 AM
What she said.