PDA

View Full Version : Fixing scratchy needle tips?

lynn893
02-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Some of my needle tips feel like they have a scratch on the tips. This bothers my finger tip when I'm pushing the tip after making the stitch.
Is there a way to fix this? It's on my Addi turbos that i use all the time. If I drag a fingernail over the tip, I can feel a 'catch' or scratchy piece.

Please Help! :knitting: (Cannot return them as I dont' have a receipt or original packaging)

Marria
02-15-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm not sure what to do about scratchy tips on metal needles. However, I'm pretty sure that Addis have a lifetime warranty. You might send the company an email and see if they will send you some new ones. http://www.skacelknitting.com/s.nl;jsessionid=0a010c461f4334161e07985e43de8f60ec 08172e06ac.e3eSc3qPbN0Te34Pa38Ta38NbN10?sc=5

lynn893
02-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks for that link, but I don't know that they can help me.

but, here's the email I sent them:
I've been purchasing and using Addi Turbo circular needles for years and years and years. I do not have original packaging or receipts.

Hence my problem, as I can't return or exchange my needles as I have so many and they were bought in so many different places, that I couldn't even say where each one was purchased.

So here's my problem: the tips of some of my Addi Turbo circular needles have become scratchy. Like they have a little chip on the tip. Is there a method to fix this?

Marria
02-15-2009, 04:09 PM
It's worth a shot anyway...

I did just think of something you might try--maybe coat the tip with some clear nail polish?

lynn893
02-15-2009, 04:16 PM
I was thinking of doing that.... but was hoping to hear from someone who has done it first.

Anyone??

Lisa R.
02-15-2009, 04:30 PM
If it's just a little place, could you buff it out with an emery board or some fine sandpaper?

It would ruin the shiny finish, but might take out the snag. I haven't done it, and I guess it would depend on how bad it is vs. how bad sanding it down might be.

I'd definitely wait till I hear from the company before going that route,though!

globaltraveler
02-16-2009, 07:44 AM
Are you on Ravelry? There's an Addi group there that's moderated by the Addi US rep, and they might have good info for you. I believe it's possible to send them the needle directly, though I think it takes some time.

tourmaline
02-16-2009, 08:28 AM
The only thing I can think of that would permanently fix the problem is to buff them. You would need to find a mineral club or silver smithing studio and ask them to buff them on their wheel. They can get a really nice shiny polish on stones and metals with the wheel. I can't think of an easier permanent fix!!!