PDA

View Full Version : Dropped a Stitch

Nancy6
02-18-2009, 03:23 PM
I am new at knitting and I need some help. I am making a scarf with a simple straight garner stitch and I dropped a stitch and cannot figure out how to pick it back up. I am totally clueless, can someone help me, please.

PHOENIXMOON
02-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Hey all,
Nancy -there are a few videos of picking up a dropped stitch that explains it really well. Dont panic!!
~*Phoenix*~

rachejm
02-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Don't panic, we've all been there!

I learned to fix dropped stitches from the video on this website. There is a nice one about how to fix it with a crochet hook - I like to fix things that way.

Think of it as a learning experience. Good luck!

Jan in CA
02-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Picking up garter stitch is a little more complicated that picking up stockinette stitches, but it's not really hard just confusing because you have to pick up from both sides. A crochet hook is easiest, but you can do it with your needles.

Here's a link that show it.
http://www.thedietdiary.com/blog/lucia/421

If you don't know how to tell a knit from a purl stitch here's a sample. This is ribbing, but the top of the stitch showing whether it's a knit or purl will still hold true for garter. Take a look at both sides of your work and you'll see what I mean.

Nancy6
02-24-2009, 02:07 PM
I would like to thank each of you for your help. I have not mastered this yet but I am still trying. I think I have made a mess and may have to seek out some hands on help from somebody. This is a great Forum, I am glad I found it. Thanks again!

momofjjbk
05-27-2009, 08:42 PM
don't know if I can fix this, but

I am knitting a garment; the borders are in a seed stitch. just as I was ready to put it on a holder and work on sleeves, I realized I had dropped a stitch in the border and moved the whole trim over a stitch. I decided I would have to fix each column - and move towards the edge, but now I have the dropped stitch on the outmost edge, about 10 rows down and I have no idea how to fix this. Do I have to rip out my sweater down to that row?

thanks for any help!