PDA

View Full Version : Why knitting is good for you ...

tarrentella
02-20-2009, 10:11 AM
According to a recent news report knitting is good for the brain and can help fend off memory loss and symptoms of dementi. Hoorah for knitting! :yay:

here is a link to the full story from the BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7896441.stm?lss=

Crycket
02-20-2009, 11:31 AM
That is cool...

Doodknitwit
02-20-2009, 11:32 AM
:roflhard: :blooby: :blooby: :roflhard: :poke: :eyes: :woohoo: :yay: :happydance: :X:

Valpuri
02-20-2009, 11:50 AM
I should do some knitting then, too bad I can't remember where I left my needles...

tarrentella
02-20-2009, 12:18 PM
:roflhard: :blooby: :blooby: :roflhard: :poke: :eyes: :woohoo: :yay: :happydance: :X:

They've obviously never come across Therapi (http://www.soysilk.com/yarn-pages/therapi.html) then ... :rofl: :heart:

wezyus
02-20-2009, 12:18 PM
that's nice n cool ...thnsk for the info

Jan in CA
02-20-2009, 01:35 PM
:yay:

TwistedStitches
02-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Thank goodness!:woohoo:

I have come to the realization that knitting is making my butt look big!:teehee:

scout52
02-21-2009, 01:11 AM
And here I thought knitting was just making me a nicer person. You know the whole zen thing. I'm the whole I knit so I don't kill you type. It completely calms me. Which is really good for my migraines on a biofeedback level.

Its good to know that it helps my memory.

Marria
02-21-2009, 02:00 AM
I should do some knitting then, too bad I can't remember where I left my needles...

:roflhard:

saracidaltendencies
02-21-2009, 02:37 AM
I haven't done a lot of research on this, but, I've heard also that knitting can help prevent arthritis...

Dimpledapple
02-21-2009, 03:13 AM

I think my stash would beg to differ ;)

scout52
02-21-2009, 03:40 AM
I haven't done a lot of research on this, but, I've heard also that knitting can help prevent arthritis...

I was told this by my dr. I have some issues going on and I see a rheumatoid dr and I was told that knitting helps.

Marria
02-21-2009, 01:03 PM
That makes sense to me because it would keep your joints limber and from stiffening up. The only thing you have to be careful about is not getting carpal tunnel! :)

This is a great excuse, however, for indulging my hobby. "Why did I bring more yarn home honey? Well, I'm keeping my brain healthy."

Songbirdy
02-21-2009, 01:24 PM
I think, and I could be wrong, that the benefits regarding arthritis are more from Continental style as opposed to others. I know one of the things that encouraged me to learn continental was because I had to teach the Seniors at the home where I worked in Physiotherapy how to knit Continental as opposed to their 'old' method... and they had loads of styles of knitting and I ended up teaching them all Conti.

I know the "throw/British" style knitters had the worst shoulder problems.

But I will agree that it is great for mental acuity.

pauly81
02-23-2009, 12:10 AM
I am a new hairstylist, I am building a clientelle, so I'm using just sitting. Knitting helps the time go by.

TEMA
02-23-2009, 07:54 PM
A very interesting story...
I'm knitting but in my past life I have quilted, painted, carved, collected... and done Xwords... and I think it really matters.
I do Xwords all the time because I have some memory loss and I don't want it to get worse.
Trying to follow a pattern in knitting takes all my faculties as I get lost so easily... hence I have also become quite proficient at frogging and tinking... LOL!:teehee:
I so agree that keeping the brain active and involved is terribly important.
TEMA

wezyus
02-24-2009, 12:29 AM
Gr8 n nice news, thnks

lelvsdgs
02-25-2009, 01:55 AM
I'm going to print that out, make copies and start handing it to people who ask me why I do "that". :roflhard:

I knit because it calms me down, gives me peace and makes me happy. And it gives me a great sense of accomplishment when I complete a project.

And as my sig says, it's saving my sanity!

rachejm
02-25-2009, 06:22 PM
I have brain training and one of the tips it gave me was that I should knit because it activates the prefrontal cortex (I think it was the PFC that it said!) I actually think knitting is doin my brain better than the game to be honest, wish I had time for more - only 4 months left and then I will graduate, let the knitting commence!