PDA

View Full Version : Pattern modifications--Need your opinion!

Marria
02-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Hi everyone. I am working on Trellis from Knitty (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTtrellis.html).

I have already decided to make the cables mirror each other. With help from folks here an on Ravelry, I've gotten it ironed out how to do this.

Now I am thinking about changing the bottom from seed stitch to 1x1 ribbing. I like the seed stitch, but it's kind of flaring out.

Or, I am thinking about keeping the seed stitch and going down a needle size.

What do you all think?

globaltraveler
02-22-2009, 05:05 PM
Oooh, so cute! Thanks for pointing this out, I've lots of babies to knit for! I vote smaller needles and keeping the seed stitch. Ribbing would be too...expected. :)

Marria
02-22-2009, 05:38 PM
You really should put it on you list, Zina! It really isn't a complicated pattern at all, and I love the fact that it's gender neutral. I am also thinking about doing the fronts at the same time as the backs and doing the whole thing on a circular needle.

globaltraveler
02-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Already in the queue! :)

Plantgoddess+
02-22-2009, 07:53 PM
I have done a couple of tops for myself with seed stitch on the bottom. I agree if you go down a size or two on the needles that should help eliminate the flaring.

suzeeq
02-23-2009, 12:20 AM
Awhile back on Ravelry a woman had the same dilemma, though on a different pattern; the seed st edging flared out. She was advised to use smaller needles, she did and reported that it worked really well.

Marria
02-23-2009, 12:29 AM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I think I am going to stick with the seed stitch because it matches the centers of the large cables. I am going to go down a needle size. The yarn I'm using isn't very stretchy so I think that's part of my issue. (Bernat Satin--let me tell you, it does hold up to repeated frogging very well!)

I am also thinking about changing the twists on the outside of the big cable to something else--it's really clever how the designer used them to create the illusion of one big cable, but it just doesn't look very good, and I've tried executing them in a couple of different ways. I think it's again related to the non-stretchiness of the yarn.

Hopefully this most recent frogging will be the last! :)

MerigoldinWA
02-23-2009, 02:28 AM
Marria, you could go down a needle size on the seed stitch, but another idea and one I recommend is to use a few less stitches on the seed stitch. And then add them back on the last row of seed stitch right where the cables will be.